The lowest odor strain for a Zero odor control grow?

Earlyriser76

If you had to bet literally your life, your families life, that you could grow 6 cannabis plants and they could never ever be smelled by even someone living in the same room as the plants, during veg, flower, curing, storage AND with NO odor control whatsoever, which ONE strain would you grow?

Please, I need your best experience, your #1 pick and not what you have just heard from other growers or read on the forum etc, but only what you KNOW for a FACT based on your OWN personal experience.

If this was YOUR situation, which ONE strain would you select, and where would you look for the highest quality seeds?

Hi Earlyriser :ciao: Welcome to :420:

A carbon filter is the only safe way to control odour.

Every plant smells, because the terpines smell

and the terpine profile is what distinguishes strains from each other.

One may become de-sensitized to the smell of a familiar strain,

But potent strains are potent in terpines as well as THC.

I have found that smaller plants smell less than larger plants,

but all plants smell. A carbon filter is a must-have for smell.

And the quietest fan you can find :)

Thank you Rico for the welcome.

Let's assume that growing is not an option. The situation cannot change. You must grow.

Out of all the strains you have grown, which strain do you believe would have the best success of going undetected?

I wouldn't risk my family's life for a couple plants. Ive certainly risked my own--been robbed, guns in the face type stuff--but my family is off limits. This seems like a terrible gamble.

The advice given here is sound, even the strains that don't stink much stink at certain periods of the process. If your concerns are that great grow somewhere else or buy from someone else. Otherwise get comfortable with the possibility of people/cops bursting through your door and shoving a gun in your face.

I wouldn't risk my family's life for a couple plants. Ive certainly risked my own--been robbed, guns in the face type stuff--but my family is off limits. This seems like a terrible gamble.

Nobody is going to risk anything here in real life and that's why this thread. It's sorta a made up "scenario" but with the vast knowledge on this forum I'm hopeful to compile a list of low odor strains for an even more stealthy grow. I'm trying to find consensus among the group here and need input.

Let's just say that 4 people come here and vote NL#5 and 2 people vote OG Kush. If security was important, then I would grow NL#5. I don't know what doesn't smell as bad as others, I'm asking for suggestions.

You can add something to this thread by simply indicating of all the strains you have grown "personally", which ONE strain was your LEAST smelly and I'll make that a data point?

I'm planning my first grow using the Phresh, and S&P TD-100 on my 24"x20"x18" cabinet along with Ona buckets. I plan to over control odor personally and take a few risks as possible. Hell, I have two ona buckets running right now at just the thought of shopping for seeds.

The terms "literally" and "made up scenario" are contradictory.

If I seem sensitive on the topic it's because I am. My personal experience lends itself to an emotional response to what I see as a reckless statement. I have seen families ripped apart, that's not what I've read or heard, that's what I've lived out.

As far as contributing to the thread, I already did by agreeing with some of the statements above. Don't get cute with me. I came here to help you and possibly save you and your family some grief. I do this shit for free so that others don't have to go through what i have been through.

I've grown both the nl, several varieties of OG Kush, and others. It's somewhat impossible to say what smells the least because too many variables come into play. One batch of OG from the same genetics may smell different from the second, third and so on. My experience growing a particular strain may be entirely different from yours. For example, I've grown out SFV Kush that had very little smell while a partner growing the same strain pulled something out that smelled absolutely grand. I've repeated that scenario out w some variation several times over. Take that for what it's worth.

The terms "literally" and "made up scenario" are contradictory.

If I seem sensitive on the topic it's because I am. My personal experience lends itself to an emotional response to what I see as a reckless statement. I have seen families ripped apart, that's not what I've read or heard, that's what I've lived out.

As far as contributing to the thread, I already did by agreeing with some of the statements above. Don't get cute with me. I came here to help you and possibly save you and your family some grief. I do this shit for free so that others don't have to go through what i have been through.

Sorry to hear that. I certainly didn't mean to open up wounds.

Weed's not that important, but having said that, it is a little more for me due to health reasons.

We fully expect to have legal MMJ this year (we have enough signatures and enough support) and that's all I need. I just want to get started before the law is passed and don't want to get in trouble for something that should have never been illegal in the first place. I'm not planning to grow much and certainly not sell.

The thread wasn't intended to throw caution to the wind, far from it actually...

The reason the post was spinned this way was to find the one strain that was the lowest in odor without odor control, then I would double the amount of odor control for the smelliest weed but grow the LOWEST odor. It wasn't about being careless at all, it was about being VERY VERY sure, over the top cautious.

I was also careful what not to mention. That it will be a 12/12 from seed grow and plants would never reach over 1.5 feet. My grow cabinet is 20"x18"x23". I have on order a Phresh 4x12, and this fan. Buy Soler & Palau TD-100 Inline Mixed Flow Fan - 4" | Soler & Palau TD-100 for a grow room the size of 2 PC cases put together.

On top of that, I have active fans in Ona Buckets running right now and I'm prepared to add whatever else I need to make triple sure, that nobody smells a thing.

There isn't any under age family members who live with me. I have a son who shares a home with me since we relocated across the country, but he's 31 and on board with what I'm trying to do.

The reason I asked where to buy them was exactly because of what you said. We may think we are buying NL#5 but the likelihood of actually getting what we bought would be more likely from some place like Nirvana, than some other seed company who may not be as reliable.

I'm new here, and new to growing but I have been lurking and trying to find a way to feel better and not go to jail or risk my next of kin. In matters of great importance in security, I usually leave little to chance.

You know the drill, thanks for weighing in.

Cinderella 99 and northern lights are my two grows:both offer excellent yields and awesome smoke. cindy for day and nl at night. GL

MY brother and his wife `n family needed to stay with me for 3mths last year . They dont know what I am growing or that I am using MJ. I was sure that at some stage they would smell something. The good news is they never suspected a thing the whole time. The reason is I believe is I spent money on a decent filter on my intake and exhaust is filtered through a chimney plus two 4L buckets of ONA gel.
You cannot take a chance with the smell. It would be a crime to get busted for something that can be controlled to a huge degree.
I have noticed however during periods of low atmospheric pressure and low wind there is still a faint odour that lingers around outside during last week of flower.

I have had the police at my door several times (my dogs got out). At one stage the police car was so close to a 9ft tall outdoor purple power plant in my yard he could have reached out the window of the squad car and pulled a nugget off it. My sphincter was twitching in a big way as I spoke with him. But they weren't there for plants. If there was an odour from the outside plants I would have been done and all because of my dog .
Long story short- If you ignore the smell someone, sometime will get it. Dont be careless looking for odourless weed. your family wont appreciate it.

I grow Nirvana's Bubblelicious in a very confined area and I have never had to use ANY odor control. It has a subtle sweet-candy-bubblegum scent, even when you rub the leaves and smell your fingers. Its ancestry is Bubble Gum x skunk #1. I had a throwback to the skunk parent when raising from seed, but she still smells very much like BBL.

The throwback is going to give me real colas, but the normal phenotype will give you small clusters of buds all the way down to the small bottom branches if you add auxiliary lighting down low. My first lady was 33" tall, 18" wide and gave me 28g dry. Very frosty, very accommodating.

Been interesting reading this post as I too am curious about a lower odour strain. It seems there is no real low odour strain but once in a while someone will plant a seed that doesn't smell as much as their siblings.
One thing is pretty certain however, for an indoor grower looking for a low odour plant to start with from seed will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I have grown a low odour strain in the past. It was a super silver haze crossed with superskunk and although not the most potent I have grown it was a definite keeper and great relaxing smoke. What makes it hard to find a low odour strain is they all smell to some degree while flowering and it's only when you do a proper smell test that you can tell how smelly a strain is.

By this I mean have a smell free area ready, open up a jar of dried bud, then see how far the smell can be smelled by people 1 meter away, 2 meters away etc.

If it can be smelled at 2 meters away after opening up a jar it is in my books a smelly variety.

The low odour strain I had only smellt a bit while drying and then could be pretty much smoked like a cigarette with no smell.

Other strains would be so potent the smell would linger on your clothes for days.

I think what makes it even harder is that in the past smell has been used by breeders as a guide to how potent a strain would be. Generally the smellier the more potent it would be and would thus be favoured over a non smelly strain so I'd say smell has been aimed and bred for which is why finding a non smelly one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

The days when stealth strains are bred are gone. There is not the need as much now days. Stronger and different smells are the new great strains. So many strains now test over 20% THC. Even strains that never were that strong before are making over 20. If it all gets you high then strains have to have 1 or 2 traits that make it special. Strong smell usually equates to strong flavor which will make it stand out.

I grew some Northern Lights back in the mid '90s that smelled like hay, and I thought that was cool. After harvest, it smelled like hay that someone had walked past whilst carrying a picture of a bud.

But it was just Northern Lights, so I replaced it with something decent. The strain is obviously still around, but I couldn't guess as to how it has changed in the 20+ years since then. It might actually smell like cannabis now, lol?

Back
Top Bottom