Seeds - Why the high female ratio?

Duesouth

Just a question on growing seeds, do they mostly germinate and sprout and grow into females? 20 of my 21 plants grew female. These are random seeds. I'm really impressed, did I just have good luck or is this normal?

Well the debate of this is on going.. google and you find a lot of answers. I read this :
From literature and our own findings it appears that the growth of a male or female plant from seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. The environmental factors that influence gender are:

• a higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
• a higher potassium concentration will give more males.
• a higher humidity will give more females.
• a lower temperature will give more females.
• more blue light will give more females.
• Fewer hours of light will give more females.

It is important to start these changes at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks, before reverting to standard conditions.

I would think there are many more to come out of the closet. Or at least someone gets lucky, kind of like winning the lottery.

Did your plants sprout from bagseed? If so: I think I've read that there's a greater likelihood of growing females from those "accidental" seeds. If the parent plant of your original stash (or her neighbor/roommate) went hermie, she'd produce feminized seeds with a propensity for hermaphroditism.

In my personal experience: 11/12 of my bagseed babies grew up to be female; 2 of the 11 females went hermie late in flower and produced seeds which are all female so far, though I've only popped 5. 1/5 of those "granddaughter" plants showed a banana in the week before harvest...

I might be wrong, but do make sure not to stress the plants once flowering (esp re: light!), just in case your ladies have latent hermie genes.

Happy gardening!

the answer is simple, and evident even in mammals.

It only takes ONE bull in the herd to keep dozens and dozens of cows preggie.
Mother Nature is all about propagating the species.

One male in the forest of female canna plants will make lots of seeds.
The world just doesn't need as many sausages as they do buns.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom