Care of Clones

Auggie

Well, clone "season" is over in N. California. Just in time too. It is HARD WORK to be a clone farmer, and I get tired cracking the whip to keep wifey working as hard as she should.

This season, for some reason, I seemed to have a lot of newbie growers (nothing wrong with that, we are all 'newbies' really) that would complain that their clones died a couple days after they brought them home and wanted replacements. That's ok with me, I always as in ALWAYS, guarantee my girls to thrive. If they don't I will replace them without question.

I happened to be in a collective about a month ago. Had just dropped off a load and was waiting for payment when a man came in to talk to the budmaster about his clones that died. I asked budmeister if I could help the patient, and he said "please" so I talked with him. I asked him the genetic and what size and shape of nursery pot they were in, and he described my clones to a T. They were mine.

I went on to ask, "When you brought the clones home, what did you do with them." He told me that he left them on the kitchen table till the next morning, then planted them directly into three 100 gallon smart pots in the back yard. That particular spot got full on sun all day. He fed them well with full strength nutes and left them alone. Two days later they were laying down dead.

I asked him, "Do you have children?" I got an odd look, and a yes, he has two girls - oldest one 14. I asked, "When you brought your baby home from the hospital did you set her down in front of a steak dinner, baked potatoes, green salad? Glass of beer?" No, of course not he assured me. "Did you put her on a blanket in the back yard to get some sun for six hours? Again, no, he didn't. "Why not? Steak dinner is a healthy meal. A little sun is good for you ... why not?" Blank look.

I explained to him that is exactly what he did to those poor tender baby plants.

Temps where I live, this time of year, are well into the 100F range. Last week it was 115F for days in a row. This week is kind of chilly, sweater weather ... it's down to 100F.

It's real basic, but I have to remind myself that newbies come here and read for advice - hell, I still do.

So, when you get your new clones ... feed them half strength for a week. Put them on the porch, in filtered light for a week. Gradually introduce them to full on sun. Gradually introduce them to full strength nutes (steak dinners).

They're only babies. Treat them that way.

~ Auggie ~

PS: Yes, I did give him new clones - and actually gave him a better genetic for his purposes.

Thanks for the reminder Auggie. All to often people will get involved with growing without a clue as what to do, and the little stuff that those of us who have been growing for a while know without thinking, is unknown to the new grower. Also big ups for hooking the guy up with a better fit of genetic for his needs. This is how the growing community should act!

-Vape

Hey Vape. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
I just finished the first off season flower run. Harvested over 8lbs under 3600 watts. I forgot how much work that chit is ... I am tired. All that is needed now is cure and trim.
The second off season run is under lights vegging for a week, then flip.
Then another clone season.

I'm getting too damn old for this much work.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom