Cracked seeds but tap root is not growing

delgech

Hey guys,
I've been having this problem and don't know if its because I'm doing something wrong or seeds I bought are bad.

I bought 3 White beery and 3 chocolate haze seeds online and used 4 of them already with no success.
First I tried to germinate 1 seed between wet paper towels(6.5ph water) which I've done many times before and had success, but this time seed cracked open, a little tap root appeared, but no more growing. Then I switched to rockwool with 5.5 ph water, but same thing happenep, seed cracked open, but no more growing.

So what do you guys think? Is this happening because of me or seeds.

IMG_507812.JPG
IMG_507715.JPG

If you have used this method before successfully, then the seeds are possibly old stock or were badly stored.

I usually soak seeds in a glass of water for 24 hrs then plant them straight into damp potting soil.

Bad seeds.
Been there, suffered that.
I've been using the paper towel germination method for several decades. Assuming moisture & temp are good, when the seeds split like that but don't extend the tap root, it's always a bad seed. About the only good you'll get from them is as bird seed.

Hi so if this happens to the seed is there any point planting it? As 2 of my seeds have done the same thing ? R they busted or will they still grow?

Welcome to the group.

Just wanted to let you know that this is an old thread and up to yesterday everyone involved has stopped visiting this message board.

Hi so if this happens to the seed is there any point planting it? As 2 of my seeds have done the same thing ? R they busted or will they still grow?
Anyway, if this happens to your seed or seeds then yes, they are probably busted and it is time to move on to a new seed or two.

Once the seed starts to split and the tap root shows it should be a steady progression of growing the start of a root system and pushing the beginning of the stem and leaf portion above the soil. At that point the seedling might slow down and seem to stop growing but it will only last several days and then it goes back to forming new leaves and so on.

Back
Top Bottom