Sexing Seeds

OmaDesala

Something I found today while doing research for my first hypothetical grow:

sexingseeds.jpg

So, I laid out my hypothetical bag seeds that I plan to use for my first hypothetical grow (ramping up, will start a journal at the appropriate time):

sexingseedspic.jpg

If I am reading this right, the top row are all female. The first two in the bottom row I believe are male. The last two in that row I do not believe are even viable. They look a little crushed or malformed. These seeds came from reggie/brickweed.

Does this sound about right? Comments?

This is the first time I have heard anything about being able to tell the sex of a plant from viewing the seed. Where is this material sourced from may I ask? thanks.

Well, I'll have to do some backtrcking, but I do not remember the exact website where I found this, altho I do know it as a 420 site. I'll do my best to find that site again. (I really need to get better about note taking!! :laughtwo:)

Also, Major PITA said about this method:
I don't think this works. I've tried it a few times. At first I thought there was something to it, but after doing enough of them, the results are not much different than random selection. It doesn't hurt to try, but don't plan on all females. I hope you prove me wrong!

Also, if you do a G search for "sexing seeds" you'll find that image all over the place! :)

Oh! AND you'll find my 8 seeds pic! G has already indexed it! LOL!

The best way to be 100% sure is to ... plant them and wait 5 weeks for pre-flowers :laughtwo:

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I was only going to germinate two or three at a time, but I might as well do all 8 and toss what I do not want at flowering stage. Those last two on row 2 will prolly not even germinate.

However, I don't have enough room or lighting for 8 plants. Reggie/brickweed (where I got these seeds) tends to be more Indica, I suspect, judging, at least, by my typical levels after smoking (Altho... I am pretty chronic right now, so I could be mistaken). Indica plants get rather large, don't they?

Eh, we'll see. I'll figure it out when the tie comes. lol!

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I was only going to germinate two or three at a time, but I might as well do all 8 and toss what I do not want at flowering stage. Those last two on row 2 will prolly not even germinate.

However, I don't have enough room or lighting for 8 plants. Reggie/brickweed (where I got these seeds) tends to be more Indica, I suspect, judging, at least, by my typical levels after smoking (Altho... I am pretty chronic right now, so I could be mistaken). Indica plants get rather large, don't they?

Eh, we'll see. I'll figure it out when the tie comes. lol!

Yeah I think I'll have to agree with Major PITA and VladimirPutin (funny name btw ;) ) . In my experience and everything I've read and learnt, I've only really known the sure way to tell if a seed comes up female or male is to wait for it to hit sexual maturity and then flower them (unless of course they are auto flowering).

Like Putin said you may as well plant all of them. You can expect about 50% of these to become male, once you see any signs of "balls" or what look like grapesacks starting to develop then these are the ones you wanna remove at first sight (Unless your purposely trying to make seeds). So with half of your plants expected to be male and chopped down, it makes a little more sense to increase your yield, more bang for your buck. After all, your paying the same amount in efforts, and bills hehe.

But you did mention you didn't have enough to house 8 plants? how big is your space may i ask? you should start them in smaller sized pots so to save space and prevent mistakes like overwatering if ever. If your space is really small you may consider whats doing a 'microgrow' . In where individual plant size isn't as important as fitting as many in a limited space. Keeping plants smaller (because you don't have to veg them as long) + a higher quantity = faster turnover, more money and harvests. You can search it on this site for more ideas along those lines.

On a separate note, if your growing that mexican style bricked i do believe they are indica dominant, but indica actually tend to grow denser more linear looking plants. Sativa are what tend to bush out and grow out of control sometimes haha. But hey, as a personal piece of advice because I too have grown seeds I found from brick. Try to get a good legit genetically proven seed for the following reasons: 1. If all your efforts and risks are going into cultivating some herbs, it might as well be the best. 2. If you actually do get some legit strains, its much easier to find support from other people online who have already dialed in the specifics for each popular strain out there.

Even if you find bagseed from a top shelf bag of weed you picked up use this instead, genetics are everything in this art. But hey, if your grabbing bricks of regs then homegrowing is still better every day of the week than the brick.

Yeah I think I'll have to agree with Major PITA and VladimirPutin (funny name btw ;) ) . In my experience and everything I've read and learnt, I've only really known the sure way to tell if a seed comes up female or male is to wait for it to hit sexual maturity and then flower them (unless of course they are auto flowering).

Like Putin said you may as well plant all of them. You can expect about 50% of these to become male, once you see any signs of "balls" or what look like grapesacks starting to develop then these are the ones you wanna remove at first sight (Unless your purposely trying to make seeds). So with half of your plants expected to be male and chopped down, it makes a little more sense to increase your yield, more bang for your buck. After all, your paying the same amount in efforts, and bills hehe.

But you did mention you didn't have enough to house 8 plants? how big is your space may i ask? you should start them in smaller sized pots so to save space and prevent mistakes like overwatering if ever. If your space is really small you may consider whats doing a 'microgrow' . In where individual plant size isn't as important as fitting as many in a limited space. Keeping plants smaller (because you don't have to veg them as long) + a higher quantity = faster turnover, more money and harvests. You can search it on this site for more ideas along those lines.

On a separate note, if your growing that mexican style bricked i do believe they are indica dominant, but indica actually tend to grow denser more linear looking plants. Sativa are what tend to bush out and grow out of control sometimes haha. But hey, as a personal piece of advice because I too have grown seeds I found from brick. Try to get a good legit genetically proven seed for the following reasons: 1. If all your efforts and risks are going into cultivating some herbs, it might as well be the best. 2. If you actually do get some legit strains, its much easier to find support from other people online who have already dialed in the specifics for each popular strain out there.

Even if you find bagseed from a top shelf bag of weed you picked up use this instead, genetics are everything in this art. But hey, if your grabbing bricks of regs then homegrowing is still better every day of the week than the brick.

My apologies. In other threads, I have explained all this, but i forget that not everyone has read them! LOL! My grow space is 2X6X8. I fully plan on buying quality seeds (Jack Herer autoflowering, fem'd, as a matter of fact) but I want to take advantage of a less guilt inducing situation, i.e., a disastrous first grow where I will learn from my mistakes, by using the freebies I got in my current stash.

Current strains available in my neck of the woods being what they are, you can see why I want to grow my own medicine!

Since sexing seeds is a dubious proposition, I figure one more anecdotal experience with it can't hurt.

Your advice is well-received! I am grateful for all the input I can get! :thanks:

My apologies. In other threads, I have explained all this, but i forget that not everyone has read them! LOL! My grow space is 2X6X8. I fully plan on buying quality seeds (Jack Herer autoflowering, fem'd, as a matter of fact) but I want to take advantage of a less guilt inducing situation, i.e., a disastrous first grow where I will learn from my mistakes, by using the freebies I got in my current stash.

Current strains available in my neck of the woods being what they are, you can see why I want to grow my own medicine!

Since sexing seeds is a dubious proposition, I figure one more anecdotal experience with it can't hurt.

Your advice is well-received! I am grateful for all the input I can get! :thanks:

I once was in almost the same situation. Had nothing but bunk seeds and then i had a pack of 10 OG's that to me were worth more than gold. hehe. I ended up learning how to clone, how to cross pollinate (With regs mind you, which came out so-so imo), and get this I even taught myself how to make feminized seeds with colloidal silver. Hehe. Now I have more high quality genetics than I know what to do with, and I consider myself an amateur. Sometimes being conservative makes you a more constructive learner and more determined farmer hehe.

Just like you, I live in a place that is devoid of any buds that are good. med grade, homegrown, kush, forget it. non-existent unless you wanna pay an arm and a leg. Check my grow journal i explain a bit about it and even got the pics to prove haha

But..

Im sure with your passion you can accomplish a lot. If an idiot like me has done this then I say everybody can do this. If you are trying to grow the bagseed because you want to learn and its your passion then by all means more power to you! Thats the right attitude! :thumb:

Anybody new coming into this hobby should cut back inhibitions about being afraid of having too many plants.

Of course, certain growers will have to "OBEY" their local laws and keep plant counts below the limit.

But if you are doing your hobby privately in the comfort of YOUR own home, then do what you want right? That's what the Vlad does :bongrip:

Plants are like potential employees. Each seed is slightly different even if from the same plant.

If you want to maximize your time, pop more than just 1 or 2 seeds, grow them out carefully and with diligence.

After about a month you will see some plants start to presex. Mostly the males arrive first to show.

Anyway once you have your living plants you can upload the pics here and we will see.

male presex parts always have a tiny growing shoot and female presex parts stay on the surface in the "crotch" between growing shoots and the main stem.

V:bongrip:

Something I found today while doing research for my first hypothetical grow:

sexingseeds.jpg

So, I laid out my hypothetical bag seeds that I plan to use for my first hypothetical grow (ramping up, will start a journal at the appropriate time):

sexingseedspic.jpg

I have researched sexing seeds. Most plants are hermaphrodites. On the other hand, cannabis plants are dioecious and have separate males and females. (unless stress or other issue causes the plant to hermaphrodite), and, according to my research it IS reported that you can sex the seed of the cannabis plant. From what I can tell you have a very good understanding of the information I found OmaDesala.

I have several seeds from several different strains and once my medicine cabinet is stocked, I'm going to conduct my own research on sexing seeds, collecting seeds from males, having males in one tent and females in the other and see what happens. Please let me know if you test the seeds to see if it is true. I would love to know.

I have heard of this and other things before. No way to really tell. If you had a ton of bag seed it may be worth just using the seeds they suggest. I don't think they will be all female but they may be more viable.

Remember that if it is not a proven fact you may be starting all the wrong seeds.

In my current Quadlining Balcony grow using regular seeds, I felt there was nothing to lose in trying this out, so I selected 4 seeds based on this 'crater' theory (closeup pics of the seeds in my current Quadlining balcony grow). I now have 2 confirmed females (pistils developing), and 2 suspected males (I am waiting for multiple balls to develop for absolute confirmation). Possibly the 'crater' seeds I selected were not up to the theory's standard. But anyway, the result looks like only 50/50 from my tiny trial of 4 seeds. :confused:

This is the first time I have heard anything about being able to tell the sex of a plant from viewing the seed. Where is this material sourced from may I ask? thanks.
I have seen this chart a few yrs ago floating around in some groups. It did originally come from this site and i would not trust it. There is no science to back this that i know of. and if true breeders of regular seeds would take all the males out before they would sell them so i wouldn`t put to much trust into this chart.:goodluck:

Also a myth that sex can be shown where the stem sprouts from the seed.
In all the reading I have done this is a new one. Would not help me much though since I just stick the seed into the soil, water, put somewhere warm and walk away. Never get the chance to see where the stem pops out of the seed.

But I did have an article where some well known grower explained that chances of growing a female plant could be achieved by how they are grown from seed sprouting till the 3rd set of true leaves starts. OK, I found it the link and here are some of the high points. This is for feminized seeds and not regular seeds.

Someone on another message board wrote that Jorge Cervantes, in one of his books, is said that the amounts of available nitrogen influence more female plants. Lower temps and higher humidity levels mean more female plants. Fewer hours of lights will increase the likely hood of more female plants.

Take it for what it is worth.

In all the reading I have done this is a new one. Would not help me much though since I just stick the seed into the soil, water, put somewhere warm and walk away. Never get the chance to see where the stem pops out of the seed.

But I did have an article where some well known grower explained that chances of growing a female plant could be achieved by how they are grown from seed sprouting till the 3rd set of true leaves starts. OK, I found it the link and here are some of the high points. This is for feminized seeds and not regular seeds.

Someone on another message board wrote that Jorge Cervantes, in one of his books, is said that the amounts of available nitrogen influence more female plants. Lower temps and higher humidity levels mean more female plants. Fewer hours of lights will increase the likely hood of more female plants.

The myth is I believe side sprout is a male and top or bottom sprouts are female.....like I said myth though.

ive also heard of the myth that to produce more female they need to be in dark longer,,maybe just a myth,,never tryed it

Back
Top Bottom