Just found 30 seeds of 40 year old Acopulco Gold Original! Need advice

fanleaf

So, I just acquired 30 seeds from a tube that's been sealed up for 40 years. While I don't think I will have 100% germination what do a few of you pro's recommend to keep this strain going from these 30 seeds. In past grows I have successfully taken a female plant and flipped the sex on 1 branch with silver and got her to pollinate herself for feminized seeds so is this a good option once I see a good female pheno from this batch of seeds?

These seeds were taken from the original Acapulco Gold Strain way before everything started getting crossed all over the place. I want to do what I can to keep this strain around from this 30 seeds. Thanks

Wow! Its like a fine wine. I hope you will be able to get those to grow.

Yes, it sure is. They have literally been in a glass vial with a rubber type cap for the last 40 years lol. These were forgot about for most of that time. They still look fine and I really hope some will sprout. I have 30 chances to get a female to sprout I suppose. I think I want to take my time with them and go 1 or 2 seeds at a time for control purposes. If I get a male I should probably collect pollen.

I agree completely, collect pollen if you get a male. I would read up on popping old beans, there was a user here who posted for a few weeks then disappeared who had all sorts of beans from the 60's and 70's. I want to say the username was Big Sur or something to that effect. Claimed to be able to get the old girls to pop. I wish you the best man, be nice to have those genetics available.

I agree completely, collect pollen if you get a male. I would read up on popping old beans, there was a user here who posted for a few weeks then disappeared who had all sorts of beans from the 60's and 70's. I want to say the username was Big Sur or something to that effect. Claimed to be able to get the old girls to pop. I wish you the best man, be nice to have those genetics available.

I will see if I can find some info in the direction you suggested.

These are from 1973 lol

We got some 20 year old seeds that hadn't been kept quite as nicely to sprout.
Scarify the seeds...rub them on an emery board, or nick them a tiny bit. This will help them take up water. The seed hull is a bit tough, and probably a lot tougher after 30 years! After that...I'd soak them in a glass for 24 hours then transfer them to a paper towel in a baggie. That's what they got 30 years ago. Good luck with them! That's quite a find!

We got some 20 year old seeds that hadn't been kept quite as nicely to sprout.
Scarify the seeds...rub them on an emery board, or nick them a tiny bit. This will help them take up water. The seed hull is a bit tough, and probably a lot tougher after 30 years! After that...I'd soak them in a glass for 24 hours then transfer them to a paper towel in a baggie. That's what they got 30 years ago. Good luck with them! That's quite a find!
I will definitely be scuffing up the hulls. That's a great idea. I read a post earlier that did the same thing. Yup, over 40 years old so who knows what's gonna happen. lol When my room is free and I'm ready to go ahead with the project I'm going to start a journal for these things.

Hi fanleaf
Sounds pretty awesome that you have the opportunity to back to life that awesome strain
Can you tell us how you get this old tube full of seeds? Sounds like a awesome story to know... and if you get sucess with the germ ratio are you thinking make pure seeds or just fem?
Vibes

Hi fanleaf
Sounds pretty awesome that you have the opportunity to back to life that awesome strain
Can you tell us how you get this old tube full of seeds? Sounds like a awesome story to know... and if you get sucess with the germ ratio are you thinking make pure seeds or just fem?
Vibes
You betcha.
So, I had an immediate family member that was involved pretty heavy into that strain and I won't go into too much detail on that. This person cleaned, sorted and that kind of work. He did that for several years way back in the day. As of a few years ago this person is no longer with us.

So as things were just recently gone through the seeds were found in a box that has been stored for many many years. In the box was an old empty shotgun shell hull and the tube was in it. With the misc papers and contents of the box taken into account as well as how long roughly it has been since any of these boxes were touched we came up with 1973. 1973 is smack in the middle of his "work" with that strain. I am 100% sure this is AG from 73.

I will be doing a journal for sure. Also, who knows what will germinate and I will be doing these 1-2 seeds at a time. So if a male comes up I will be collecting pollen. If a female comes up first then I will be making feminized seeds. If I get another female I will pollinate her with the male pollen collected.

My first priority will be to get that first female. From there we will be golden.

nice history man
I wish you all the luck with that old seeds, hope sprout all the batch
sometimes I work with a old cut from Oaxaca 1979 it was a good tool for many breeds and a good smoke too
but just that, I mean you can not explore more deeper into that genetics because you have only one individual...
some pictures of it
oaxa79alva11.jpg

oaxa79alva6.jpg

oaxa79alvabud3.jpg

oaxa79alva3.jpg

Original source seeds from the 70's - Yes I have some

Landrace Genetics 101

The first link is the one to BigSur's thread which JC mentioned. The second is to a great thread about landraces, in it at some point I remember (I think) a lot of info coming up about how to germinate old seeds.
Good luck sprouting them. If you can get even one female you can easily treat it with colloidal silver and get hundreds of seeds. I made my own CS and it was easy and very succesful.

Original source seeds from the 70's - Yes I have some

Landrace Genetics 101

The first link is the one to BigSur's thread which JC mentioned. The second is to a great thread about landraces, in it at some point I remember (I think) a lot of info coming up about how to germinate old seeds.
Good luck sprouting them. If you can get even one female you can easily treat it with colloidal silver and get hundreds of seeds. I made my own CS and it was easy and very succesful.

I've done the same with CS. Worked like a charm. I have a fresh gallon too.
I'm gonna read those links right now. Thanks!!!

This is what you can do with old seeds:

1. Scuffing with sand paper or nail clippers.
2. Soaking in black tea extract.
3. Soaking in water with gibberellic acid.
4. Freezing and unfreezing before soaking in water.

Good luck :thumb:

Just wondering if you ever got any of these to sprout? I was interested to see the outcome :)
Just yesterday I was thinking I needed to revive this thread. I have not attempted to sprout any yet but the time is almost here. I will be getting on this project within the next week or so and it will either be on this thread I will start a whole nother Journal for just this journey. I'm really excited to see if it will happen.

Sent from my android from outer space!

Back
Top Bottom