Can I Clone From A Flowering Plant?

delta.9

I should've thought about doing this earlier but I can't change the past. I have a plant about 4 weeks into flowering and am curious if I clone it still? One of the lower branches isn't really flowering well but is still alive. I was curious if I try to clone it, would it revert back to vegetating and be able to grow well.

What does everyone think?

i dont think you can, 4 weeks is a long time into flower, it will only shock it if you clone it and bring it back into veg.

Wow, 4 weeks!!! Only reason I want to clone is cuz I don't want to wait to germinate and start from scratch with the summer solstice coming to an end. Gotta take advantage of the outdoor grow season now...aaahhhh what to do???

ya but 4 weeks is already halfway through buding, halfway done, if it was me i would leave them be, if you take clones from them, you are just screwing up your yeald, i would just start over.

Is it 4 weeks since they have beenput on 12/12 or 4 weeks since they have shown. I had one plant that didn't show sex untill it was under 12/12 for about 5 or 4 weeks.

You can definitely clone a flowering plant. It can be hard as hell to do it, and you really need to pick a branch near the bottom that might be growing but isn't showing much in the way of budding. I had to do this with a plant of mine to preserve the plant (as opposed to needing a quick plant to flower).

It took about 4 weeks to get roots on them, and another 2 weeks to get them to really be vegetating instead of trying to keep budding. Man what a pain. I did do it and have saved the genetics of the plant who is now undergoing some bonsai and mother therapy. :)

So, if you need to preserve the genetics of a good plant exactly as you see them expressed NOW, then the pain is worth it. I can't imagine any other reason you would want to subject yourself to such pain...much less to just flower the clone after reverting it to veg... :p

Listen to green thums.

i love this website. i have exactly the same question, but my plant has just shown its pistles in the last week or so, could i clone one of the lower branches successfully? i found one that hasn't shown any pistles at the bottom.

You can clone but its stessful and takes the cutting longer to take root. I just don't recommend it because of the stress itcauses the plant. It does effect yeild.

now i suppose its a question of preserving genetics or decreasing yield then?

technically it can be done, but you gotta be pretty desperate to try it. and dont be totally depressed when it dies anyhow. get the baby from the bottom, a branch with little or no bud on it. good luck. :headbanger:

alright it seems pretty unanimous that cloning from a plant thats shown pre-flowers is more trouble than its worth. i was curious because a friend of mine wanted to buy a clone. oh well.

thanks for the help. :smokin:

I just took two small cuttings from lowest branches of my Grape Ape plant. Plant is 4 weeks into flower. I did this as an experiment. I used clonex to seal up cut ends and placed them into rock wool cubes. Clones are in a Humidity dome with heating mat below. I am also experimenting with a light Superthrive solution for watering. I have used Superthrive before and I can tell you this is the Magical Mystery liquid. It has saved a lot of my plants in the past. Yes cloning this far into flower is a super long shot, but I wanted to try it. Will see how it goes.:Rasta:

10/9 I took 3 cuttings from my plant the day I harvested. Its only been 11 days but I can tell ya this... so far, so good! they havent died yet but will probably take a while to root and revert back to veg. They are only2-3in. cuttings. They are under 2-15w floros

Have cloned from a mature female, just the lowest branches though, and have had no trouble getting them to take. Had a Bubblegum clone once that I just kept doing this to and she just kept low and branchy.

day26, its still alive. Hant grown yet and roots havent shown on the stem yet but it is a little swollen which means anytime now it will shoot roots. Most of the leaves are brown. But i can see some tiny tiny green shoots that will grow soon enough.

i gave up on the cutting, it has been over a month and not a sign of root so i threw it away. I didnt treally need to keep the strain since i got over 10 seed strains and my mom plant is a better strain for me anyhow, but it smelled like wet paint and reeally potent aroma

I think it is a case of " If at first you don't suceed, try again" for your cloning. I have had similar experiences and I once hit a clone with almost straight nutrient and it started to root? A bit of a tricky thing to do this cloning thing.

Back
Top Bottom