Flowering Clone From A Mature Bud

Toward the end of my last grow, I realized I didn't have a clone of a plant that I wanted to save and it was already 8 weeks into flowering. There really wasn't anywhere on the plant to take a clone but I found a small bud at the very bottom of one of the plants that had around a 2 inch stem on it. It was a small but mature bud.

So, I when ahead and snapped it off right at the main stalk, scrapped it a little with a razor and dipped it into some rootone. I then propped it up in 1 inch of sphagnum in the bottom of a small clear cup with holes in the bottom and sat it in a plastic lid with 1/8th inch of water in the lid so it could wick it up. I kept water in the lid so it could continue to wick, misting occasionally as well.

After around 2 weeks, the bud started to stretch a little and I noticed a few roots in the bottom of the clear cup. I then transplanted it into a 20oz cup and after another week, a couple of round leafs began to grow right out of the side of the bud. Next a couple of branches began to grow from below the bud. One on those branches has now grown up, around, and over the top of the bud and is looking like a normal vegging plant. Cool, huh?

Here's a few pix..

qfi15-5.jpg

flwrbud1.jpg

flwrbud2.jpg

flwrbud3.jpg

What I learned from this experiment is that it's never to late to clone and keep your genetics alive.

:peace:

Harry

Yes Baremeat, I've heard that was the case. I've taken flowering clones in the past but never this late in the game. It was a small hard mature bud and it grew unlike any of the other flowering clones I've taken.

Harry

Beautiful man.

Thanks Dr.215!!

Here it is after 25 more days. It's been in the tron so it's vegged slowly..

flwrbudnow1.jpg

It was a little bound in the small cup but it was still healthy. I transplanted to a larger pot just after the pic.

Check out the original bud at the bottom. It really looks strange. I think I'll just clip it off of there, or maybe Ill just let it go and see what it does.

flwrbudnow3.jpg

flwrbudnow2.jpg

Now I have the beginnings of a nice mother to clone from though. :grinjoint:

Harry

I think that bud's ready for harvest lol

Nice job Harry. I could of told you what to expect if I had known you were concerned. I've taken clones "as" I've harvested. lol It's a great way to preserve genetics when space is at a premium and mothers can't be kept as well. I tried to hit you with some Karma but it said I had to spread more around first.lol

Here is the type branching a flowering clone can give a grower.

flowered_clone.JPG

IMG_0322st_bud_clone_3_weeks.JPG

Great success Harry.
First time here for me last clone go around 2-3 weeks into bud is when I took them. I was afraid that they were all but gone. But nope. They are healthy ladies ready to go back into the flowering arena and 2 feet tall and 3 feet round. I did not believe this could be done. I believe I believe. And yes, massive branching happens in these.This above is a few weeks old, Current status is, it is getting almost ready to be moved to the flowering arena.

Thanks McBudz. I had to try it and see for myself how it would grow.

I think that bud's ready for harvest lol
LOL!! I think so too. ;)

Nice job Harry. I could of told you what to expect if I had known you were concerned. I've taken clones "as" I've harvested.
Wow, that is some major branching. It that two plants in there? It almost looks like two main branches. The only issue is that it took a really long time to get this one going. It's probably because it was such a hard & mature bud I started with, and the fact that it was vegged in a tron.

Yeah Cherma, I have another flowering clone that I took from my buddy at 3-4 weeks in and it's gonna be a big bush. I had to prune out a lot of the inner areas because they were so thick and it couldn't get enough light done in there. Now that I've thinned it out, it's doing well and I think it will redirect more growth to the larger branches, making for better colas.

Nearly 6 months after starting this test, I've harvested the final product. Here she is at 96 days on 12/12...

qfiroxyhar1.jpg

qfiroxyhar2.jpg

qfiroxyhar3.jpg

qfiroxyhar4.jpg

I'm going to count this test as successful. I've learned it's NEVER to late to take a clone. :smokin:

Harry

I'm going to count this test as successful. I've learned it's NEVER to late to take a clone.
Sweet Harry!!! I currently have a crop of clones from two flowering females, but I didn't take them quite as late as you did. They are branching like crazy though. Thanks for sharing, I'll keep this bit of info tucked away in the cranium somewhere, if I can find room for it.

Thanks for sharing this man. You guys talking about how easy cloning even budding plants, keeps me trying to get this cloning thing down.

harry check out my phototron grow.Phototron Box. First Grow. i got some clones from some flowering females, no quite 8 weeks in, but i think 4 weeks flowering. and it took them about 10 days to show roots through the rockwool. theyre at 13 days now, i put the furthest along in some FFOF soil and the others will wait another day or so.

Thanks for sharing it with us because i have the same trouble for got to cut a clone from a plant now into 8 week .will cut a small bud off today and start mine.

ok harry how long did your flowering clone take to reveg? this right here says 7/14 would have been 2 weeks since cutting. its 8/17. so that means its been 7 weeks since being cut and heres what the only one that didnt reveg looks like. the plant it was cut from was also the furthest along.

0808092252a.jpg

fishman, keep us updated on your progress.

WeedyMcWeedWeed, that cutting looks healthy so it may have just taken awhile to get new roots going. It appears you're getting some new growth of smooth edged leaves so just be patient on that one. As long as you're seeing new growth, you're good. Of course, a plant can die at any time if something goes wrong.

Harry

will do. its still getting new leaves. but i swear it has calyxs starting on it. like its still trying to bud. butyeah i have been keeping up on it. keeping an eye on it. trying to do what i can. i pulled it out of the cup as if i was gonna transplant, and it had a few roots down to the bottom so i just put it back into the cup. hopefully within a few weeks itll start to really reveg. im putting the rest of my plants into 12/12 in about a month. i dont want to put it into 12/12 if its still small. idk i guess ill play it by ear. maybe hopefully ill have a 2nd light by then a will be able to keep it in veg and the rest in flower.

sorry to bable in your thread. lmao thats what the permafrost can do to ya.

Back
Top Bottom