How tall should i grow my clones before flowering

teamgilly

I've asked this question before and i know there is not exact answer so I am hoping for a little speculation from the experts. If just harvested some of my first grow and i notice the bottom of the plant was really useless. I see why the SOG would be so desirable. So I want to try it. what i want to know is how tall should i let my clone get before flowering to get 1 ounce per plant(If that's possible). I intend to trim the bottom 1/3 of the plant at week 1 and three and i hopefully will harvest on big cola at least an ounce. Any suggestions? Also it will be a 600 watt in soil and white widow. Ok one other question. i recorded the height at flowering of my last grow. If i weigh the cola of a finished plant will that give me an indication of what to expect on the new trimmed plants or will it be bigger or smaller?

i suggest at a minimum of 6 - 8 inches.Sea of green helps out due to the fact that the lollypopping technique increases light penetration. my suggestion is that if your planning on getting more clones from your ladies. then pick a few lower branches in your set up to make as clones and let them grow to a nice size.(6-8inches if you can)that way when thier ready you can veg them for a max. of 2 weeks, then flower. This is the idea behind s.o.g. or you can straight flower from clone. this will cut your wait time til harvest.
AS far as wieghing the plant. I suggest taking notes, that way you have something to reference back to for your next grow. I would use something like this:

STRAIN : ?
Age Dried At : ?
Weight Wet : ?
Weight Dry : ?
Time Dried : ?
Time Cured : ?
-----------------
Final Wieght : ?

this is the best information ive had so thanks. so your saying let them grow to 6 inchs then veg for 2 weeks or let them grow till 6 inches and then flower? I am going with floweing them at 6 inches which they have just reached today. also i am pretty sure that cutting from my mothers are shorter then they should be they ar all about 1 1/2 inchs long when i cut them. i just dont have big brancehs. thanks again Butcher!!

i suggest to flower no shorter then 6 inches, but thats only if you doin sea of green. thats 4 plant per square foot.But if you want to veg then 2 more weeks then you can.ii like vegin em to 12 inches.so that i can cola them. if you need any more info hit me up anytime. igf you need reference points i got a milliion of em with picts.

oh yeah dont forget to take into consideration that sativa dominite strains tend to strench up to 3 time thier size. but some strains i've grown dont stretch more then 3 inches so just keep that in mind.

ok butcher heres a couple of questions. If i veg to 12 inches what might be the yeald per plant also at 6 inches? also if i veg to 12 inches will i still be able to cram 4 per sq foot with trimed bottom 1/3 of the plants in a SOG? and wiil one gallon pot be sufficant?

well depending on the lighting penetration and strainis how thw outcome will be determined. 12 inches can yield half an ounce thats optimal.its really hard to say though. i use kushstrains dur to the fact that they rend to dense up nicely and bulk up the las 2-3 weeks.i always shoot for half ounce plants that way anything after that is a plus. as far as 6 inch plants its just its hard to say. it really comes down to genetics. if your sativa dominite. if you flower at 6 inches then they will more then likely finish at least 10-12 inches easly.

If you check out my grow on my link you can see i'm using 1 gallon pots for some soil plants.and i'm going with 4 per sq. ft. myself.

ok, i am gonna flower some wehn the reach 6 inches and then some when they reach 12. i expect ill have some 1 footers and som 2 footers at teh time of harvest
i already put in the 6 inchers now i will wait till the others get to 12
i hope to get at least a half ounce one each plant like u said. 10 wees should tell. chould you look at this post and give me a little advice on this one ? Sativa dominant White Widow - why won't buds fill out?

wel if thier in 10 weeks of flowering and thats them i would definetly wait on them. 1. you waited 10 weeks.2. white widow dows tend to fatten up the last couple weeks.

yeah you got a sativa dominite pheno of white widow. they look good, so all you can really do is let them do thier thing. you've been very patient up to this point,let it go the full way and she want dissapoint you.oh, one thing with the clones your flowering did you give them a chance to settle into thier nwew home of did you flower them from the go.

the pict on my avitar is a clone that went into straight flowering, and remember half ounce a plant is what to shoot for.thats always my goal.sometimes i shoot WAY over sometimes UNDER. but all harvest are good harvest cause its free smoke.

Gilly,
you'll like this.This i did so we can have a documentation of what happens.
In my journal i measured 2 plants, one in soil and the other hydro. They are both 6 inches in hieght.The girls are established in thier surroundings, but i did this so we can see what a clone can produce when started at 6 inches.Peep it out and Stay tuned.

so this harvest came out to around 1/2 ounce per plant on aveage i was hoping for double that. each plant took up one square foot and this time i am going to do 4 times as much in the same area. i would be happy if i could pull and ounce or more in 1 sq foot

i suggest to flower no shorter then 6 inches, but thats only if you doin sea of green. thats 4 plant per square foot.But if you want to veg then 2 more weeks then you can.ii like vegin em to 12 inches.so that i can cola them. if you need any more info hit me up anytime. igf you need reference points i got a milliion of em with picts.

oh yeah dont forget to take into consideration that sativa dominite strains tend to strench up to 3 time thier size. but some strains i've grown dont stretch more then 3 inches so just keep that in mind.

I am getting all my first grow going and am going with clones as well just wondering how long can a mother plant be kept in veg cycle for cloning and about how many mothers will i need at what size to be able to keep a 4 x 4 ebb and flood table table filled with 35-40 plants? My doseage is 8.5 grams per day so by canadian licence regulations I will be able to grow 45 plants at any one time but due to the way they have things set up they include mother plants as part of the 45 max not just the flowering plants .. So basiclly I am planning on growing 5 different strains all which flower in about the same time and grow to equal height .. will 5 mothers be enough to fill the table with 35-40 plants in Sog configuration? If less mothers could be kept I dont mind changing things up every few grows and starting some new strains. As when My licence arrives from Health canada it will come as well with 90 seed from there crop in flin flon manitoba which is a sativa /indica cross with an average thc % between 11-14% so a moderate strength strain which can rarely get to 18%+ for some real pleasent surprises from what i was told 1 in every 15 gets close to the 20% level.

So I am planning on keeping at least one of these as a mother but am sending away for

1 10 feminised L.s.D seeds from barneys farm thc 24%+ 1.3% cbd 600g/m2
2 10 arjans ultra haze feminised 21.6%thc and produces 900g/m2
3 10 purple haze feminised 22%thc .3% cbd 500g/m2
4 blueberry feminised 19.5% thc 450-600g/m2
5 ak feminised 15%+ 350-450g/m2

So any info on how long I should keep a mother for before growing up a new seedling to motherhood or a clone to motherhood would be great also for my mother room all I have is a 3 foot deep by 30'wide by 7feet tall closet wich can have shelves adjusted to give me 2 spaces for mothers

2.5' wide x 3' deep x 3.5' height should this be enough room for 4 -6 mothers and will 2 2'x3' flourescent 4 bulb balasts holding 4 55what blue white bulbs be sufficient to get me thicker foliage growth for cloning i.e will I be able to get 35-40 clones from what I am proposing for my mother room
and will there be any room to bring rooted clones in here while waiting for current grow to finish? any suggestion on how to get best use out of these spaces is greatly welcomed would prefer it if i could keep 3 moms in the bottom and use top to get clones to 4" inches minimum before moving to my table where they will be under a 1000w mh for 2 weeks then switch to 1k hps with consideration of adding a 150w metal halide wich i will move each day from one side of table to other to promote maximum growth using tying once foliage is as dense as possible while still alowing all braches to get equal light ill remove the metal halide.

For ventilation I was planning on using a 125cfm exhaust fan and 3 muffin fans 2 to bring air into the room 1 for blowing air across the hps light also will have a good room fan to stimulate movement to strengthen the plants up . oh should mention the exhaust I was thinking of is for a rooms floor space is
L shape dimensions of walls are 7.5 x 7' x 5' x 3' x 2.5' height is 7 feet
so basically picture a 7.5'l x 7'w x 7'h room with a bathtub on one side that is 5x3 the closet is along same wall. So I plan to put a 5'x 4' sheet of plywood over the tub and place my 4' x 4' ebb and flood on it with the resevoir under the the playwood overhang. originally i considered using a 600w hps bulb balast and reflector with a mh conversion for 2 weeks of veg. But was told that it might be a bit weak and was recommended that for 50$ more i can have a hortilux 1k hps with a 1k mh so its opinion time wich setup will get me the best yield for the space.

600w mh conversion 2 weeks at 18/6 switch to 600w hps and a 150w mh that i will rotate around table

or

the 1k mh for 2 weeks at 18/6 then switch to straight 1k hps?

I am getting all my first grow going and am going with clones as well just wondering how long can a mother plant be kept in veg cycle for cloning and about how many mothers will i need at what size to be able to keep a 4 x 4 ebb and flood table table filled with 35-40 plants? My doseage is 8.5 grams per day so by canadian licence regulations I will be able to grow 45 plants at any one time but due to the way they have things set up they include mother plants as part of the 45 max not just the flowering plants .. So basiclly I am planning on growing 5 different strains all which flower in about the same time and grow to equal height .. will 5 mothers be enough to fill the table with 35-40 plants in Sog configuration? If less mothers could be kept I dont mind changing things up every few grows and starting some new strains. As when My licence arrives from Health canada it will come as well with 90 seed from there crop in flin flon manitoba which is a sativa /indica cross with an average thc % between 11-14% so a moderate strength strain which can rarely get to 18%+ for some real pleasent surprises from what i was told 1 in every 15 gets close to the 20% level.

So I am planning on keeping at least one of these as a mother but am sending away for

1 10 feminised L.s.D seeds from barneys farm thc 24%+ 1.3% cbd 600g/m2
2 10 arjans ultra haze feminised 21.6%thc and produces 900g/m2
3 10 purple haze feminised 22%thc .3% cbd 500g/m2
4 blueberry feminised 19.5% thc 450-600g/m2
5 ak feminised 15%+ 350-450g/m2

So any info on how long I should keep a mother for before growing up a new seedling to motherhood or a clone to motherhood would be great also for my mother room all I have is a 3 foot deep by 30'wide by 7feet tall closet wich can have shelves adjusted to give me 2 spaces for mothers

2.5' wide x 3' deep x 3.5' height should this be enough room for 4 -6 mothers and will 2 2'x3' flourescent 4 bulb balasts holding 4 55what blue white bulbs be sufficient to get me thicker foliage growth for cloning i.e will I be able to get 35-40 clones from what I am proposing for my mother room
and will there be any room to bring rooted clones in here while waiting for current grow to finish? any suggestion on how to get best use out of these spaces is greatly welcomed would prefer it if i could keep 3 moms in the bottom and use top to get clones to 4" inches minimum before moving to my table where they will be under a 1000w mh for 2 weeks then switch to 1k hps with consideration of adding a 150w metal halide wich i will move each day from one side of table to other to promote maximum growth using tying once foliage is as dense as possible while still alowing all braches to get equal light ill remove the metal halide.

For ventilation I was planning on using a 125cfm exhaust fan and 3 muffin fans 2 to bring air into the room 1 for blowing air across the hps light also will have a good room fan to stimulate movement to strengthen the plants up . oh should mention the exhaust I was thinking of is for a rooms floor space is
L shape dimensions of walls are 7.5 x 7' x 5' x 3' x 2.5' height is 7 feet
so basically picture a 7.5'l x 7'w x 7'h room with a bathtub on one side that is 5x3 the closet is along same wall. So I plan to put a 5'x 4' sheet of plywood over the tub and place my 4' x 4' ebb and flood on it with the resevoir under the the playwood overhang. originally i considered using a 600w hps bulb balast and reflector with a mh conversion for 2 weeks of veg. But was told that it might be a bit weak and was recommended that for 50$ more i can have a hortilux 1k hps with a 1k mh so its opinion time wich setup will get me the best yield for the space.

600w mh conversion 2 weeks at 18/6 switch to 600w hps and a 150w mh that i will rotate around table

or

the 1k mh for 2 weeks at 18/6 then switch to straight 1k hps?

i'm going to be running the numbers you gave me to get a better prospective of what your descibing, but from off the top of my head. I know it is going to be alot of work, but the upside to a 600 w light is you can get closer, and if your running a 150 mh, the benifits are going to be greater for the reason that your getting a mixed spectrum. This benifits your plants greatly. But before i give you a definite answer i'm going to write these dimensions down as well as lumen output. but i just want to get a picture in my head of what the space looks like, then go from there, and if you can provide a pict of the space, thaqt would help out, if not thtats chill.I'll get back at you this evening with some thoughts.:goodjob: on the detail land planning.
And DAMN i'm jelous of the freebies as well as your order..GREAT BUY!!

I did some work fine tuning the area in my grow room where the ebb and flood table will be wich is a 4' x 4' ebb and flood. which will be sitting in an area that will allow approximately 22.5 feet of canopy also found a wicked site called Yield O rama which allows you to enter in your prospective yield
lumens of light from hps and metal halide either using one or the other or a combination of both. According to the forms I got from Hc my licence should
allow me to grow 45 plants of these 5 will be mothers. An ill be able to put 40 on my table from other posts I read I was left with the impression that if I go with a SoG I can put in 4 plants per square foot so my table at maximum can hold (4'x4'=16/square feet x 4 plants = 64 plants so first thing I need to know is this correct? and if it is with growing 40 plants in 16 square feet with enough room for 22.5 square feet of canopy how long could I veg my 40 plants for and not overcrowd my table and prevent lower branches from maturing also if the amount of plants my table can hold for SoG is 64 Ill have a lot of extra space from the 24 less plants for veging so this way I can tie up the lower branches to fill gaps and create more big buds or Am I missing something in how SoG works , but If i am on my game with this plan how much veg could i give my clones planting them 5 plants for every 2 square feet. Would 3-4 weeks be to much or would 3 weeks be good using the ties.?

And here is the link to the Yield O rama site it has calculators for yield calculation for upgrades as well as basic yield calculator for starting out etc there is quite a bit to help you properly balance you set up and grow plans to match your exact Prescription with an added section you can enter to grow a rainy day surplus in case you get some plants that turn out to be underachievers.

Indoor Yield-O-Rama - Home Page

This link take you to the main homepage from there just go thru the different sections and you will find the yield calculators under the production link

sounds like you got it right. With that many plants i would veg for just a week to 10 days max that would give you enough room for a good stretch without costing you ueild.
One of the ideas of S.O.G is thawt youcan harvest tops and if you choose to then let the bottom mature another week then harvest those. This isjust an option if your hieght like my grow has gotten bigger then atticipated. I take it this not what you want so thats why i suggest the 7-10 days of veg. On my next S.O.G i will just veg for 7 days from clone, but currently my veg room is filled with plants that are ranging from 10- 18 inches. Sux to have an uneven canopy. Lumen levels get comprimised with an uneven canopy. Remember to take into consideration stretch as well as how big your clones are.
Have you checked out OMENMANS grow. Great example of sog.

And thanx for the link..gotta spend more time on it..

Okay here is blue print of my grow room to start off thing so you can see where i am going .

Grow_room_blueprints1.jpg

There will be a 1k hortilux hps air cooled over the table .

From the link you suggest I check out if I use his method I could get 144 4" rock wool cube in my table however my licence will most likely only alow for 40 unless I can get my doctor to authorize 10g/day then I could have 50 total plants 45 on table and 5 mothers so by my figures that is just under 1/3 of what that wicked SoG was set up to look like so would I be better off to give maybe 3 weeks of veg and use SCroG and bring the lower branches up thru the screen to fill in the open spots to create more big buds as I dont want to risk a visit to inspect my grow and have them find me growing more then my licence allows also will 5 mothers be enough to get 9 cuttings from every 3 months? was thinking of puting a 3way connector with 34w 6500k cfls over each mother should this be enough to get them bushy or should I consider the 105w cfl's at 6500k per plant? Or other option 2 mothers but under a 250w cfl which way would give me the best way to get my clones .
Btw I have figured out a cheap way to create a home made cloning machine ill list parts and my plan to construct it tell me if you think it will work .

Clonemachine on da cheap

5gall bucket and lid 8.00
1 ViaAqua 1300 submersible pond pump 20$
10 2" net cups 3.00
10 2" neoprene plugs 6
1 spray unit with 4 sprays and downspout 16.99

Just cut out 10 2 inch holes in the lid and place the pump in the bottom with the 4 spray manifold plugged into the pumps output pipe from my estimates you could easily cut 18-20 holes in the lid to increase you clone output if needed also remmber to cut the bottoms off the 2inch net cups or getting the roots out is going to be a bitch without stressing or straight out killing your new baby. Last thing I need to figure out is how much light to use over each bucket. was considering a 4 way adapter with 4 23w 6500k cfls or a single 105 over each depending on which will be the cheaper way to go.If you or anyone else knows of a cheaper way to make an automated cloning machine let me know. Oh as a side note you may want to get a fish tank heater and warm your water to 77 degree's give or take a degree.

the link was just to give youan idea with some changes that needs to be done it. I'm there with you on the numbers. I wouldnt want an inspector showing up and have my numbers wrong either. I would suggest using 3-34 watt cfl's over each mother this will give you more even coverage.The one thing you want to keep in mind that cfl's dont penetrate the surface area so more even lighting is needed. i would definetly suggest scrog for your grow. the veg time is long but the yeild is well worth the wait, take a look at muki's scrog grow longer veg but his final product is insane, and he only used 2 plants. He should be submiting a final review here soon. also take a look at 420fied's scrog now thats insane!!!

Anyhow, as far as the clone machine goes sounds good. I'm in the process of getting my pump for my clone machine,wheni complete it i will post a pict. Its pretty much the same idea but i use a tote thats similar to the "E Z CLONE MACHINE". Very easy to make. I think i answered your question, if i missed something let me know.

sounds like you got it right. With that many plants i would veg for just a week to 10 days max that would give you enough room for a good stretch without costing you ueild.

One of the ideas of S.O.G is thawt youcan harvest tops and if you choose to then let the bottom mature another week then harvest those. This isjust an option if your hieght like my grow has gotten bigger then atticipated. I take it this not what you want so thats why i suggest the 7-10 days of veg. On my next S.O.G i will just veg for 7 days from clone, but currently my veg room is filled with plants that are ranging from 10- 18 inches. Sux to have an uneven canopy. Lumen levels get comprimised with an uneven canopy. Remember to take into consideration stretch as well as how big your clones are.
Have you checked out OMENMANS grow. Great example of sog.

And thanx for the link..gotta spend more time on it..

Oh I did some more calculations and with my grow space of 22 square feet for canopy there is also from the tray top I will have 4' 8" to the roof or 56inches so I believe I could grow my plants to a max height of 3' tall each when finished keeping that is if i keep my light 18" from the tops so what I am wondering is if I am able to keep 25 plants on the 3 x 4 table and instead of SoG I was considering SCRoG so I can maximize the yield by trying to ensure all the lower branches reach full maturity together so will 25 plants be to crowded for a 3 x 4 table in a 5 x 4 x 4' 8" grow area? If it would be to crowded using Scrog to bring all the lower branches up through the screen so they will basically grow like cola's how many would be the most I should grow in this space to get maximum yield. Hoping there is someone here who uses the SCroG method who can answer this as well as tell me how I should space the plants in 4inch rockwool as my table is only 12 square feet I am assuming I can put 2 per square foot. So if I am correct just let me know.

Then my next question is my room where my table will be is actually much larger then the grow space I will be utilizing the room is 9'x 6.5' x 6.5' high=380 CF the actually grow space is 100 CF also in the room is a closet wich I will use for a mother room which is 2' x 3' x 6.5'=40 CF So what I need to know is how much ventilation Ill need to keep heat to as favourable condition as possible. TO help anyone who can field this question ill give you climate conditions in the building without the grow room in operation.

The house has central air and the grow room will be in the basement the temperatur in the room presently is usually around 70 degrees all day round with no ventilation in it . The room is as i said 380CF If I use a 1000w hps for flowering of course and a mh conversion for 2 weeks of veg same wattage will a 250cfm inline duct fant be enough exhaust and if so will I need an intake fan to bring cooler air in from the cold air return duct in the house which my father who is an engineer also told me alot of the Co2 that is produced in the house around 75% or so will be brought thru this duct to the basement temperature in the cold air return is also arounf 62-65 degrees so if I run a 1000w hps for flower and 1000w mh for 2 weeks veg will the 250cgf exhaust with a 40cfm intake be enought to keep the room cool or will I need to run the the intake and exhaust fan on a temperatur controled switched so that they come on if temperatur goes over 80 and turn off if it drops below 65.Or will the Exhaust fan be enough as the room while being light tight so no light escapes is in no way air tight would the exhaust fan be enough to draw out the hot humid air and draw in enough fresh cool air through the leaks under doors the other heating vents etc of the room?

Second last question for a SCrog or SoG grow in a 3x4 ebb and flow table in a space that is 5x4 for canopy growth and 4'8" for vertical growth what would be the optimum wattage of light to use a 600w hps sonagro or hydrolux
with 600w mh conversion for 2 weeks of veg before flowering.
Or should I go with a 1000w hps hydrolux and again mh conversion for 2 weeks flower.
or finally Just a 1000w hps hydrolux for both veg and flower. I want to get the best yield of course but Want to make sure the heat is controlled and dont want to waste cash on lights more powerful then I will need as with my prescription my Dr will be probably be setting dosage at around 5-8 grams per day and and according to Health canada that will allow me to keep 25-40 plants 4-5 will be mothers and the rest on the table so 20-35 plants probably 25 total.

And finally the last questions for my mother room will a 150w Cfl with reflector be enough lumens to keep 2 mother plants on 18/6 time schedule able to produce 7-10 clones each every 2 months? or would I be better off with 2 H.O. t-5 flourescents 2' with reflectors 58w each . Again I am looking for the best trade off of cost/efficency so that my mothers stay nice and healthy and produce all the clones I will need so 20-30 not exactly sure till I speak with my Dr who took my forms home to fill out the information on my spinal injury and such and then fill out the dosage wich hc works out to 1g/day -5 plants that can be grown so if my prescription is 6 grams then I can grow 30 plants and so on adding 5plants per gram or subtracting 5plants per gram. So hoping someone can let me know about the lighting ventilation etc So that I can give the information to my Father who is an engineer and is actually planning the layout for efficency of space and best way to vent the smell and hot air out he is planning on venting it into the old sewer drain from the room we are using which is a Bathroom that has been out of use for 7 years since we put in the new one with a jacuzzi and such.

Back
Top Bottom