Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can I take clones off a young plant - rooted clone?

On Vacation

Question Can I take clones off a young plant - rooted clone?

I have a problem I need some help with.
    See, I need to take ~200 clones to populate my new 171 plant rig (just to make sure there is enough)
    The problem is that I was only able to harvest 112 clones (3 full trays of 36) off my 6 moms. Right now they are almost done rooting and depending on when I am going to get some missing parts in the mail, will go in my aero rails this weekend or next week.

My idea is to let them root and veg them for ~10-14 days until they develop some branches of their own, could be topped, and then chop them up to get the needed amount of clones. What I am concerned with, is that the resulting clones might not root as well as the clones taken off mature mothers.

The question is - how early I could harvest viable clones off the young clones?

P.S.: I am going to plant more moms now (I grow them in soil)

BS

re: Can I take clones off a young plant - rooted clone?

have a look in my grow journal and see the difference between clones from veg and bloom

On Vacation

No, I am not talking about the difference between clones from a flowering plant and a clone from a vegging plant...
    ...I am asking about a difference between a clone from a mature vegging plant and a clone from a very young vegging plant

BS

well okay misunderstood that a bit..

the veg clones u see on the latest pics are taken from a 37 day old mother (not in bloom)

The bible says:

Choose a mother plant that is at least two months old. Some varieties give great clones even when pumped up with hydroponics and fertilizer. If a variety is difficult to clone, leach the soil with two gallons of wate rfor each gallon of soil every morning for a week before taking clones. Or mist leaves heavily with plain water every morning. both practices help wash out Nitrogen. do not add fertilizers

Any plant can be cloned, regardless of age or growth stage. Plants that are cloned before they are two months old may delevop unevenly and grow slow.

A six-month old plant produces more cannabinoids than a one-month old plant. by cloning, a horticulturist is planting a THC-potent plant that will continue to grow in potency at a very rapid rate. a month-old rooted clone acts exaclty like a four-month-old plant and can be induced easily to flower with a 12-hour photoperiod.

hope this helps you a bit out

On Vacation

I thought this was bad news, but after I gave it a minute it all makes sense.
    Because I am not going to clone plants grown from seed, but from already cloned plants, it should work just fine.
    I'm guessing that I just have to try it and find it out by myself
    BS likes this.

This might be a stupid question, but why not let the mothers "fluff" back up some and take more cutting in a month?
    WizHigh likes this.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by voucher View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but why not let the mothers "fluff" back up some and take more cutting in a month?
    sometimes i forget to think simple.. yes, Android why don't you do that?

also u might wanna look into using willow water

On Vacation

Re: Can I take clones off a young plant - rooted clone?

It is because in SOG rig with 4 plants per square foot, conditions are such that you cannot have plants of different age - older ones would outcrowd the younger ones - this is from personal experience.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    It is because in SOG rig with 4 plants per square foot, conditions are such that you cannot have plants of different age - older ones would outcrowd the younger ones - this is from personal experience.
    Okay but if u wait for rooting, taking new clones from your already made clones wont that be the same problem won't they be rooted later to? won't that give plants in two different age to?

On Vacation

I know this is complicated... If I would harvest my smaller (74plant) rig by that time - I would move the topped clones there; but if not - I would chop them up completely and discard the remnants. In the second scenario I would make clones off the tops of cloned clones to populate the smaller rig later. I'm not sure if this makes any sense

I should be getting the float switch for my catch-pan pump in the mail today, so I will be planting soon, we'll wait and see what happens
    Buckshot likes this.

On Vacation

I have an update - only 73 clones have survived, and many aren't going to make it. But the remaining should provide plenty of material to fill up the rest of the rig in a week or two:

I only was able to populate 5 rails out of 11, and propably only 4 rails will make it to the next level, so I need to harvest 4 clones out of each remaining vegging plant just to be sure I have enough:

WizHigh likes this.

New to the forum. Grew about 15 years ago. Back then, I was told not to keep re-cloning from clones. That I would eventually get inferior plants more prone to disease and infection. Does that school of thought still follow today?

Thanks all.

Great forum.

On Vacation

Yeah, I heard the same thing, and I wish I could have planted 171 fem seeds instead. Bad news is that I can't get that many seeds in the US. The good news is that rumor has nothing but anecdotal evidence
    WizHigh likes this.

On Vacation

In 2-3 weeks we are going to find out the answer to this topic subject question.
    6 of these 8 trays were harvested from 3wk old vegged plants that had their roots destroyed:

I bet they will turn out fine !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast