Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RooRman

Thread: How long to leave seedlings in humidity dome...

420 Member

How long to leave seedlings in humidity dome...

...I am wondering how long are you suppose to leave a seedling in a humidity dome once the seed has germinated? Plus, if I were using General Hydroponics 3 part series is there a formula for a very mild mix to use while germinating seeds, or really for watering young seedlings while they are in the humidity dome once the seed has germinated? I read on the bottle that 1/4tsp/gal of each micro/gro/bloom can be used, but I know this would probably be way to strong having used GH 3 part for growing herbs in my little kitchen herb garden and I do not want to risk frying my little girlies...

So, I would like to hear from those who use humidity domes for propagation and how long they leave seedlings in the humidity dome, whether they use a mild nute sol or just reg water, and if they use a mild sol what type?

Thank you all!

Re: How long to leave seedlings in humidity dome...

Humidity domes simply keep the medium from drying too quickly when you are using heat mats to aid germination. Heat mats are designed to raise the temperature 10-15 degrees F. above room temperature (to around 80 degrees) and this aids in germination and root developement. Humidity is not so much a factor in germination as root zone temperature is.

Be cautious when using a humidity dome because the medium can also become too wet which will actually slow root growth from lack of oxygen or create fungal problems. In my opinion, humidity domes and heat mats are really only useful for cuttings because they have no intention of forming roots and you must make every effort to force them to create them via rooting hormones, heat mats, humidity domes, etc. The tap root of a seed on the other hand intends to form roots and will even without the aid of a humidity dome.

Once the seedlings have there true leaves (first set of 1 finger leaves above the cotyledons) then remove the humidity dome.
    DrTran likes this.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

420 Member

Thanks! I am not using a heat mat and I have had great success so far in terms of seeds germinating I was just curious as to when I should remove the humidity dome and you answered that.

Another question, did you say to wait until the seedling is a week old before using a mild nute solution?

Thank you very much for your help!

about then, yes, you want to wait