Does Vaping buds still make you cough?

GrowGSL

I just got a vaporizer last week. been messing around with it. My bud has a volcano and he uses it around 375F, not sure why but mine likes 345

It took a while to find that sweet spot for temp and I imagine you must do that with every vaporizer you get.

Anyhow I do like it, much healthier to see all that brown crap I did not smoke go into the garbage..

But still it makes me cough, worse some times.. Maybe cause I'm taking bigger hits I dunno.

Anyone into vaporizers? Any good ones from sponsors here? Got any input? :)

Re: Why does Vaping buds still make you cough?

We have several vape sponsors here, you should be familiar with this page GSL. ;)
Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE

I've used my Volcano daily for 5 years now. Best thing I can tell you is to start out low and work up to higher settings gradually, which enables to to maximize how much you can get out of one little 1/2 gram of grinded Cannabis. I start at 4.5, second bag on 5, third bag on 5.5, fourth bag on 6, fifth bag on 6.5, then it's cashed. Five 2 foot long bags off 1/2 a gram. I used to smoke a quarter pound a month, now I'm lucky if I go through an ounce. Depends on how many trichomes are on your bud too, Skywalker OG gives me 5 bags, something else may produce less.

If you start at a higher setting, you blast through all of the trichomes first time through, then you only get one or two bags. When you start low and work up gradually, you keep vaporizing trichomes that have yet to burst into vapor form, slowly but surely, vaping them all. Does that make sense?

Hope this helps.

I'm moving this to Vaporizers, for more input.
:Namaste:

Nice, yeah I am learning allot here, most likely gonna pick up a good one from here. What's you input on the smoke? like just a little? or none at all?

I have both a Volcano and a Vaporbrothers hands free. They both make me cough and the intensity of the coughing depends on the strain, but since I tend to go for high end weed like GDP, BlueBerry Cheese, Blueberry Diesel etc, all of these have a high resin content. I leave the Vaporbrothers set to 12 o'clock on the dial. The Volcano I leave set at about 6 at the beginning and just past 7 at the very end.

I've been told that part of the cough comes from the very low humidity that comes out of the bag or whip and straight into your throat and lungs. The natural reaction of your body is to rebel against such a huge change in humidity.

The other cause of coughing and the one I tend to put most of the weight behind is the actual resin/essential oil content of what you are vaping. With potent strains like GDP (my hands down favorite to vape and vape ONLY) there are different stages the bowl goes through as the esential oils are released. Some trigger the cough reflex more than others. I have also read that cannabis is a natural expectorant which would logically add to the coughing.

The first phase, and the one that can really help identify the strain you are vaping is the first 4-6 drags on the whip, 1-2 bags from the Volcano. Here you will get the essense of the plant with a very aromatic note to the vapor along with that feeling in your throat like from a big bong hit. If you take a deep enough drag or bag hit, you will even get a little of that bitter resin condensation in the back of your throat, kind of like an Echinacea tincture going down.

After that stage, you get into what I call "the sweet spot" where the unique personality of the actual strain is lost, but if you are using a quality bud, the vapor is the smoothest and has the most potency. I find this middle stage to have the least amount of cough inducing vapor.

After that things begin to go downhill and you start getting the cough back, but with less and less potency. This is where I usually dump out the bowl of the whip or Volcano.

Bottom line.... Coughing is part of the vapor experience unfortunately, and the higher the potency of the weed, the more of it you will get.

For me, I can't vape crappy pot because the taste makes me gag, literally! Low quality or badly cured stuff taste like grass clippings from a lawnmower bag! YUCK!

Wow thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post! With that kind of base I can really keep my senses tuned into what to watch for. Yea After vaping a while the smoking of a bowl seems dirty. A blunt, even worse.

I admit I used to sneer at those whom would vape only, now I can see why.

Sure is nice to see they brown stuff go in the ashtray rather than my lungs.

o yeah, and vaping really ads that medical feel I think. I dunno I always think I can taste Vaseline or chap stick or Vick's er something.. Know what I mean?

I thought once it turned brown it was done? You use if 4-5 times?

Wow thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post! With that kind of base I can really keep my senses tuned into what to watch for. Yea After vaping a while the smoking of a bowl seems dirty. A blunt, even worse.

I admit I used to sneer at those whom would vape only, now I can see why.

Sure is nice to see they brown stuff go in the ashtray rather than my lungs.

o yeah, and vaping really ads that medical feel I think. I dunno I always think I can taste Vaseline or chap stick or Vick's er something.. Know what I mean?

I thought once it turned brown it was done? You use if 4-5 times?

Cool! No problem! Happy to Help! :thumb:

I am glad that you liked what I wrote. I have been vaping for a long time and after awhile you will eventually be able to call out different strains just by the flavor of the vapor. I've done it blind folded for friends and I am right about 90% of the time! :icon_cool

The medicinal taste you are referring to is the essential oils that vaporize the fastest at the lowest temps. These can range from a Eucalyptus Oil/Vicks Vaporub kind of effect to a Cotton Candy / Caramel like essence. Those oils only lasts for a few drags or the first bag or two from a Volcano before they are all used up.

Strains like GDP have a very distinct flavor that is unique to that strain. Unlike smoking from a bong where good weed tastes pretty much like any other other good weed, in a vaporizer you can really taste the difference between GDP, Blueberry, Bluecheese etc. the difference can be as dramatic as varieties of soda pop, say between Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew and 7-up! They can taste that different! :yummy:

I use my Vaporbrothers vape the most because I keep it next to my chair at the TV and toke on it throughout the day. I even a ring of Velcro below the mouthpiece end of the whip and matching piece of Velcro to the side of the table next to my easy chair so I can stick it to the side of the table after I take a hit or two! LOL! :popcorn:

The Volcano I use more with company or if the strain is extermely strong. The coughing issue is more pronounced with the Vaporbrothers type unit since you are getting the vapor directly after it has gone through the heating element instead of mellowing a bit over time in the bag.

You will definitely come to appreciate the finer strains once you start to learn the differences and unique flavors of each strain.

As I said before...Grand Daddy Purple for me is the ultimate vaporizer strain! These days, I won't waste any GDP in a bong because those subtle, memorable flavors of the first few tokes are lost when burned. It still tastes like great weed, but those unique elements are lost on a bong.

I can even taste the differences between crops of GDP. You can tell when the buds were slow cured or fast dried. I haven't been able to find a consistent source for GDP, so last week, I finally scored three GDP clones that will eventually become my supply. That way, I can control the cure to get the ultimate flavor I like through my vaporizers! :yummy:

Anyway... Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions on vaping! :)

Gonna agree with GG7, I had a vapor brother's and it was amazing. Gave it to a friend.. Then it broke.. But it was like the first version they put out. Not one of those nice "hands free" models. Now I rock a Vapir one, which is also nice... But not the same quality of vapor.

You can save your left-over vaped buds for cooking, if you don't completely vape the trich's out. I like to leave some trich's on for this purpose.

Oh, I'd like to add.. The Bag vaporizers are a little less harsh, as the vapor has a little time to sit and cool down. The whip ones where you get it "fresh" taste better, but will dry your throat more... I think the hands free systems have attachable "bubbler" chambers, which will cool the vapor some.. I still like to smoke some personally, some buds just taste amazing that way.

The Volcano Vaporizer is definitely the "pinnacle" of Vaporizer technology and quality, however, their are plenty of other Vaporizers on the market that are still very efficient and affordable.

The Volcano Vaporizer is definitely the "pinnacle" of Vaporizer technology and quality, however, their are plenty of other Vaporizers on the market that are still very efficient and affordable.

Temp control on the Volcano is excellent, but the same could be said for the herbalAire, Extreme, Zephyr Ion, and Oracle. Without varying draw speed by the user's lungs to make the incoming air hotter or colder, maintaining a constant temp with a bag filler is no problem. But if you want vapor dense hits, a direct draw vape is better. Vapor is always diluted when filling bags. There's no way around it.

But less vapor per hit, and more time for cooling, as THsea stated, could make for less coughing with bags. THC is also an irritant to the throat, so despite vapor being much milder than smoke, you may still have to deal with the urge to cough.

Go points 9! Right on the money! :thumb:

I guess the take-away from all this is that the degree of cough is often proportional to the potency/quality of the bud you are vaping! ;) I just recently sampled my Blue Cheese bud in my VaporBrothers HAnds-free for the first time, AND LOVED IT!

A much more satisfying experience than that same product through my Volcano. I actually got a respectable flavor profile during the first couple of drags, which I didn't pick up from the Volcano bag.

The more dense vapor rush is something I really like about a direct draw vaporizer.

But... I digress. :laughtwo:

I've owned a Volcano for about 3 years now, and just recently purchased an NO2 Vapir Portable.

I like both, the Volcano is one of the greatest I've ever had. The Vapir is great for being portable.

You got tons of great info here already, so no need for a long post. I wrote a review for the Vapir.

I usually enjoy 375F on both to start then go to about 365F. The reason is almost all vapes will begin to get much hotter then the temp you set it to when you're vaping for long periods of time or are just the type to always leave it on.

I look at it like the vapes only have a particular section to measure the temperature and keep it there, this doesn't account for the heated material that you attach, like the screens, plastic etc.

I don't have much science behind it, just experience. That's what I've found.

I have a Volcano, SSV, and Iolite...and the hot dry air always makes me cough a little bit more than bongs. I just drink more when using a vape...still trying to make the jump tp vape only.

:peace: and :Namaste:

I have used about 10 different models of vaporizers (including the illustrious and notorious Volcano!) but my favorite to this day is my Magic Flight Launch Box! Its a super tiny, portable, battery-operated vaporizer. The temperature is controlled by the speed and force of your breath. Its very sophisticated for being so tiny and simple and always produces a clean vaporization experience and I never have combustion related to overheating (aka "just smokin' it"). But to answer your question, I still cough sometimes due to heated air in my lungs but its more of a light superficial cough compared to the harsh hacking of say, hitting a blunt. It doesnt hurt. I'm by no means an expert but I can tell you from personal experience that I can tell a major difference in how I feel physically and the quality of the high since I made the switch to exclusively vaporizing and no longer smoking (ok, I admit - sometimes the lure of a nice thick J is too much! lol!) and I highly reccomend making the switch!

I have an Arizer Solo portable. Best performing vape on the market right now. MY experience is the cough is very minimal when compared with combusting and only rarely occurs when vaping on a high setting. I like to vape near the low end around 375F so I just don't cough. I have NOT blazed up since I bought it. I right away saw improvement in my lungs and the elimination of crud in the throat. Odor is virtually non existent and that is the best around neighbors and friends that don't "understand." I have a wife with a nose like a bloodhound. I actually tested her when I first got my Solo by vaping in my office with my back to her and she did not know. Keep your bud ground up and in a vial and there is no weed smell either. Granted I have not loaded it with skunk weed but I have put plenty of high end weed through it. I have heard of guys even vaping at the movie theater, exhaling beneath their shirt front but no personal experience there. No red eye and only traces of odor on your fingers from loading..but a stem can be preloaded so that can be eliminated too. Consumes weed at a slower rate-a better buzz. Nothing not to like there. :bravo:

Small too, about the size of a Red Bull can. I have never bottomed the battery out and have vaped for an hour at a time with great results.

for any whip style direct draw vaporizer, i have found on ebay a glass in-line vapor cooler. it attaches to the whip. downside is water will spill into the whip if the tip points down.

also i found a cooler for the whip that is glass and needs no water. u put it in the freezer and that will cool and condense vapor. havent tried this one tho. i do own the the 1 mentioned cooler.

it works great but there is still some sensation to cough but off a deep draw its very smooth. if ur vapin some killer buds with deep draws its priceless

Back
Top Bottom