FIMming vs Topping

Tricks

Topping_and_new_FIM.jpg

This is the pic from this months HighTimes, if you notice the FIMMing pic on the bottom, it looks like they cut the stem, its not, its just the angle of the pic, I'll point this out in another photo.

The_way_I_learned_FIM_1.jpg

This is from another source. This is the very top of the plant and the newest growth, this is where you'll be making the cut, you'll want to cut off 80% of the newest growth. Also, remember I said I'd point out in another photo that it's really not the stem they cut in that first pic from HT's if you take your thumb, and from the top of new growth downward, cover about 80%, now look at what the photo looks like just bellow your thumb, it should look a lot like what you see in the HT photo.

my_way2.jpg

Making the cut, leaving about 20% of the newest growth, it'll just be a little piece of the leaf left.

my_way_4_colas.jpg

View from the top after the new growth, notice the 4 cola's, there would have been just 2..also with this type of FIMMing, I understand that other parts of the pant will start bushing out as if you had FIMed them also, at least this is what I understand my friend to be telling me. :thumb:

FIMMing_Vs_Topping1.jpg

Nice graphic showing the difference in cuts, Topping and FIMMing

FIMMING_open_Cup_Shape.jpg

This is a type of FIMMing that Vamp talk about, looks hard, you hollow out the stem somewhat...steady hands anyone? I hope some of you find this useful, I know it helped me when I found it. :peace:

I did fimming on a nepal sativa. It bushed out when matured w/ prolific buds all under 48". This plant normally get 8' +. Fimming is very effective. Also thanks for the above info which was my source for trimming.

I've been practicing my fimming and topping techniques on some weeds growing around the yard. They grow real fast so it doesn't take long to see the results. No big deal if I mess up one of those. Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing when it comes time to take the snips to plants I care about.

Besides fimming I have also trained my plants (LST) to grow more horizontally. With outdoor grows knowing my plant will gro too tall I will begin to train my plant after it gets around 3 — 4 feet in height by attaching a cord near the top (8-16") of the main stem pulling the cord till the shaft bends (about 2 o'clock in the beginning). The other end of the cord is staked or weighted to the ground (several feet away from the plant). I increase the angle over time by adjusting the cord. Over time (2-3 weeks) I increase the angle until the main stem is almost parallel or about 15 degree from the ground. As a result of this the plant branches off the main stem grow vertically even the lower branches become main shoot for buds.

Back
Top Bottom