Plants love coconut milk?

Flyinhigh

So I was reading around on another reputable website and I came across this. I haven't tried this, but does it have any credibility?

"For Plants That Grow Like Coconut Palms
Raw, organic coconut water can replace an armload of top-secret grow formulas. Added to feedings at 15 milliliters per liter of H2O, coconut water will cause your plants to grow faster, more vigorously, and with more buds sites and shorter internodal distances. Keep in mind that a coconut is the biggest seed on Earth -- and like any other seed, it contains enough nutrition for the plant to grow until it develops sufficient leaves to make its own food. Coconut trees get taller by growing huge palm leaves that die off, leaving a trunk -- which means that unlike cannabis, which grows stem space between each set of branches, coconut water has cytokinins (sigh-toe-kine-ens), hormones that signal the plant to divide cells in the roots and growing shoots, equaling explosive growth. Coconut water is also a great source of cal- cium, magnesium, and other minerals and elements your plants need."

If no one has heard about this i have a plant i could potentially test this theory on.

Nice to meet you Flyinhigh:peace:

You can find some discussion about Coconut water on the forum in the following thread:
Coconut Water

There is not enough mainstream science regarding coconut fluids in plant cultivation written in English. However, Polynesians have been using coconut for hundreds of years not only as a food source, medicine and building material, but also in aiding other plants. Coconut helped nurture my ancestors and the other sacred plants they bought along their long canoe journey across the Pacific Ocean.

All parts of the coconut plant in different stages of growth is useful for various purposes.

Please be aware of the difference between coconut water and coconut milk. Coconut milk is heavily processed and boiled from the tough meat of the older, brown coconut seed and may have had its cytokinins denatured in the rendering process.

Coconut water is derived from the liquid of young, green coconut seeds. Coconut water is sterile as long as the seed is not breached and requires no processing. Coconut water from brown coconut seed is somewhat vinegary and is more useful as a preservative and pickling agent than a plant propagation amendment.

The commercial coconut water product that I buy at Costco for my own hydration just happens to be an awesome source of potassium and phosphorus for my flowering cannabis. The mineral and vitamin content of coconut water is very similar to the stuff in Superthrive Vitamin Solution. There is even some carbohydrate to help nourish the beneficial microorganisms in the soil which in theory should also work as well as the molasses supplement many cannabis growers already use to boost buds.

I'm not sure how well commercial coconut water would work in seedling and vegetative growth as I don't know how the water was processed and if the cytokinins have been denatured from storage outside of the coconut. There is also not nitrogen in coconut water.

This is a photo of my flowering Blue Blood which I am using coconut water as a supplement along with an inexpensive 5-1-1 fish emulsion fertilizer. The coconut water provides a boost of potassium, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc to a flowering cannabis while the carbohydrates help nourish the micorrhizal fungi:
BB_Mother_in_Flower.jpg

Blue's three week old flower clusters:
BB_Mid_Flower_Cluster.jpg

Nice to meet you also cannabelle!

Coincidently I found that article just this morning. I think you covered it pretty well on that thread, and also gave everyone some bonus info! I love it!

Also, I thought I was a fairly smart individual, but never knew there was a difference between coco water and milk lol.

Anyways, cannabelle, how would you think coco water would do in a hydroponic ebb and flow system? In the article it wasn't very specific about mixing instructions, but it did throw out a number, and that was 15ml per gallon of h2o. Also I noticed your using it as a supplement during flower, wouldn't it work better in vegative to promote branching and tight node spacing?

If you are using coconut water in veg mode, you would need to supplement nitrogen as there is no nitrogen in the water or milk in the food grade stuff.

It would also behoove you to add Glomus mycorrhizal fungi to help regulate the sugar from the coconut water and help the cannabis roots gain bulk.

I get more branching from constant leaf and branch pruning and manhandling of the branches. It's an old bonsai training habit from training Japanese maples. This tactic forces parenchyma development which in turn encourages more nodes. Works well in indica dominant cannabis. Also, light placement and intensity plays a huge roll in minimizing stretching.

I don't think coconut water dosage is an exact science. I just use roughly a third of a bathroom dixie cup of coconut water per gallon of water for flowering cannabis. The dixie cup box reads 3 oz, which means I am using about 1 ounce of coconut water per gallon. So I am roughly using twice the amount of coconut water than the article you found.

Bear in mind, I have no clue what brand of water the other guy is using and if his coconut water has undergone much processing or if his coconut water is from concentrate. I'm just using Costco's Kirkland brand. Even within the same brand, taste and color may vary. I always have a swig of the coconut water out of the drink box to taste for quality. If it tastes wrong, I don't use it and complain to the manufacture that their coconut water is too vinegary and that their supplier is slipping water from brown coconuts into the mix.

I'm sorry, Polynesians are very picky about coconut products the same way Asians are picky about rice products. These foods are our staples.:surf:

So I was reading around on another reputable website and I came across this. I haven't tried this, but does it have any credibility?

"For Plants That Grow Like Coconut Palms
Raw, organic coconut water can replace an armload of top-secret grow formulas. Added to feedings at 15 milliliters per liter of H2O, coconut water will cause your plants to grow faster, more vigorously, and with more buds sites and shorter internodal distances. Keep in mind that a coconut is the biggest seed on Earth -- and like any other seed, it contains enough nutrition for the plant to grow until it develops sufficient leaves to make its own food. Coconut trees get taller by growing huge palm leaves that die off, leaving a trunk -- which means that unlike cannabis, which grows stem space between each set of branches, coconut water has cytokinins (sigh-toe-kine-ens), hormones that signal the plant to divide cells in the roots and growing shoots, equaling explosive growth. Coconut water is also a great source of cal- cium, magnesium, and other minerals and elements your plants need."

If no one has heard about this i have a plant i could potentially test this theory on.
Be sure to use coconut water. Not coconut milk. They're 2 different things.

Back
Top Bottom