Seedlings turning yellow

mafiabossman

My first spiked set of leafs are turning yellow. They are only on the first set of spiked leafs. The cotyceldon is not turning yellow. I have about 40 seedlings started from seed and about 8 of them are turning yellow at the first set of spiked leafs. I have them in Jiffy Pucks for about 7 days now and the roots are showing. I've watered once with 7 PH neutral bottle water and just recently with tab water fixed at 6.5 PH. I have not added any nutrients yet. For the first 3 days or so, they were left downstair, very humid room. The past few days they were bought upstairs after discovered several molds on wall.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with my 8 seedlings? I was thinking nutrients or nitrogen dificently but they are still very young and think they do not require much nutrients. Maybe root bound but why hasnt the cotycelton turned yellow before the first set of spiked leaves? Maybe more of a Genetic problem perhabs -- Just weaker plants? Any input would Help. Thank you much.

My 2 cents. . . those jiffy pellets can be problems. . . I don't like them myself. . . they hold entirely too much water. The cotyceldon is more a energy source for the plant till they get their roots established. . . kinda like a packed lunch. . . I really have not seen those leaves get effected unless you burned the shit out of your plants with nutes. . . without seeing them, and from past expereince with those jiffy nightmares, I'd say it is too much water. . . I have lost a cab full of plants due to jiffy pellets. . . so I may be biased(sp?). . lol :peace:

If the roots are showing, thats no good. Sounds like your seedlings have gotten too large for the jiffy plugs you are using. Transplant into soil immediatly, give them some Superthrive, and they should be fine.

Jiffy pucks are pure peat .....very acidic. That could be the reason.:peace:

Jiffy pucks are pure peat .....very acidic. That could be the reason.:peace:

A very good thought Paladin. As the peat breaks down, the soil increases in acidity. So while you may be feeding with water with a pH of 6.5 the soil may be many times more acidic.

Personally, I have never bothered (or used) the jiffy pots, plugs, or any of that. Although it is easier for young roots to penetrate them, it doesn't seem like they do anything better than a small pot of properly prepared soil. Prepare a looser soil mix with good drainage for seeds and clones.

Seedlings turn yellow from lack of nutrients in rockwool if only water is used, or even if the cube is flushed with pure water. It starts after about a week like you have described. You could try adding some nutrients at quarter strenght. In rockwool by the time the leaves are yellow most don't make it, but you might save some.

i had a seed that was like albino one time. all its bothers and sisters were green but this one was a light yellow. and i wasnt doing anything different to that one

Back
Top Bottom