Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Leaf tips curling down a bit

Leaf tips curling down a bit

Hi,

The young 1 month old plants are green and growing very strong, but, some of the leaf tips seem to curl down a bit. I'm not worried, just curious...any ideas?

250 watt agrosun gold
    250 watt HPS

2'x3' area, approx 800 lumens at plant tops
    75-80F
    FoxFarm&Ocean soil +Nova nutes

Blog Entries

Re: leaf tips curling down a bit

You mean 80,000 lumens I hope :-)

Do you have any photos that would help us?

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/42...ad-photos.html

Yes, 80,000.....eh heh...

Actually, as of yesterday I added another 600 w hps and raised the lights a bit and added a mylar skirt around the lights. Now I have 90,000-110,000 lumens throughout the grow area. I'm now running 1100 watts of HID in a 2' x3' footprint which will change to a 3' x 3' tray, endind in something like a 4' x 4' canopy when the plants finish. I have 6 plants (currently in 10" pots), which is the legal limit (6)in my county. By the way, I am trying the strain "Fruity Thai"....has anyone else tried this strain? So far I am seeing very vigorous growth and healthy dark green leaves. The leaves were so dark I added another 600W HPS just to see what happens. The temp is well controlled at around 75-81F. You'll see when I post the photos the internodes are tight/short and the stalks are thick from the constant but gentle air flow.

Look at this strong stalk:
    Last edited by Soniq420; 03-10-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: fixed pics

Blog Entries

You need to raise that temp gauge to the top of the plants. The temp at the canopy is more important than the temp at the container top is when soil growing. That changes when hydro growing as the solution temps become as important if not more important than canopy temps are. I know it gets confusing to some but it's really simple.
    Lot's of light!!! As long as you can control the environment, the more light the better. Until bleaching occurs that is.lol
    Nice thick stalks and tight nodes. Some of that has to do with the blue spectrum from the MH. I've been looking at a dual arc bulb for a trial. It's a single bulb with a 600watt HPS and a 400watt MH in it. It all runs off one 1K hps ballast.
    I've never grown the fruity thai but have grown the thai-tanic. It's not known for the shortest flowering time and made a better outside plant than inside one. The inside plants averaged 3 ounces per plant. The outside plant got over 1.5 lbs.lol lol Any thai cross is a good strain in my opinion.

'pout'...but I don't like the temperature readings I get at the plant tops!.....but I'll do it.

I've got 850 watts of HPS and a 250 watt AgrosunGold MH bulb which is part HPS spectrum. So I'm running mostly HPS and very little blue MH. Temp control is clearly going to be an issue with the extra wattage I've just added, such is life...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    'pout'...but I don't like the temperature readings I get at the plant tops!.....but I'll do it.

I've got 850 watts of HPS and a 250 watt AgrosunGold MH bulb which is part HPS spectrum. So I'm running mostly HPS and very little blue MH. Temp control is clearly going to be an issue with the extra wattage I've just added, such is life...
    lol I don't like manicuring either but it has to be done! same with your temp meter at canopy level.
    It doesn't take a lot of the blue spectrum to decrease stretch and increase bud denseness. That and the fan helped with the stem thickness. It will be interesting to see how much they stretch during flower.
    Last edited by Racefan; 02-20-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries

I think we are looking at an overwatering high PH situation, but I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

I think your right Boss. I was thinking the same thing. Definitely a PH issue.

I agree. Looks like overwatering and a pH imbalance. Check your pH levels and adjust to 6.2-6.5 as needed.

Also, looks like you could have a slight potassium deficiency, but you need to solve the pH problem first.

Trouble Shooting with pics
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Most likely it's the PH imbalance causing the potassium def.

Thank you everyone for your input In a few days when it is time to water again I'll water with a ph 6 solution with flora Nova 1/2 strength

Hello again,

You guys were right with the ph balance opinions, it turns out my R.O. water + Flora Nova grow (7-4-10) was at a ph of 4.7.

I've adjusted the ph to 6.2 and watered the plants. They are/have been doing well despite this imbalance. The ph of the soil is 6.4-6.5 and has been consistantly (Go Fox farm & Ocean!! Rah rah)

Question, is there any reason to wait before taking cuttings off the lower branches so I can sex the plants? I've started my Fruity Thai via seeds.

p.s. the temp at the top of the plants is around 83-85F, even with lots of air movement. The plants are getting 90,000-100,000 lumens 24/0

Blog Entries

Just wait till she looks good and healthy.

Blog Entries

To drop the temps some run a 18/6 cycle and run the lights at the coolest period of day or night. Every living thing likes a little sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
    To drop the temps some run a 18/6 cycle and run the lights at the coolest period of day or night. Every living thing likes a little sleep.
    I agree 100%. Virtually took the words right out of my mouth.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast