Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: show signs of sex in vegetative cycle?

show signs of sex in vegetative cycle?

can plants show signs of sex in veg cycle?
    this plant is 31 days old on 24 hrs light,,
    are these signs of sex?
    sorry bout pics is best i can do with 5mp camera and cheap magnifier,,

looks like little pods there with couple hairs coming out don't it?
    that mean male,,cause of pods,, or female cause of hairs,, or nothing just there on all plants,,??

Re: show signs of sex in vegetative cycle??

Yes sir looks like female pre flowers to me. Once a vegging plants reaches sexual maturity it can show early signs of sex. In your case you have female pre-flowers. Congrats. Dont go chopping down all the ones that dont have them. Put them in 12/12 first and make sure you know what sex you have.

yay! my best plant a female!!
    so does this mean i have to flower them soon??
    i wanna veg a while longer ,, only 7 inches tall,,
    i actually was thinking of keeping this one a mother plant,,
    can i not do that now,, will it just start flowering now,, or just showing sex but won't flower and will still stay in veg,,

oh ya also if some other ones show signs of males do i have to worry about them pollinating the females whilst still in vegeation??

unless its an autoflowering strain, no it will not flower until you switch the light schedule over to 12/12.

You can continue to veg or put into flower whenever you are ready. She just has pubes thats all

ok thanks Mcbudz
    your a gentleman and scholar! and oh ya
    you rule!..

Yep those are deff Pistals comming out of that pod, congrats on the girl bro

Blog Entries

Its always good to get the ladies, congrats bro
    Toke_Smoke_Never Choke

Blog Entries

haha pubes, ok good cuz i was wondering the same thing, i was seeing white pistils on my PPP clones about 1 month after they rooted and then they just kinda withered up and died, now they are showing again. Its kinda weird but glad to know its not anything serious, im going to switch the light schedule soon just in case. if it is showing early signs of sex could it be caused by stress?

Re: show signs of sex in vegetative cycle?

nope, preflowering just happens, i'v found the ones that show before 12/12 typically flower sooner once flipped, and (might be coincidence) weigh a little heavier.

its not from stress, and it doesnt mean you have to flower it right away. just means its a girl.

i veg long enough that i almost always see preflowers before flipping.

Blog Entries

do you notice if they turn brownish and die after a while or do they just always stay there and are always white?

stay there, and stay white. i'v had a plant show on week 3 of veg, and stayed there all the way to harvest (8 weeks veg)

420 Member

I just had to remove the larger of two plants that were 28 days into veg. Beautiful healthy lush plants growing like crazy but I finally saw male pre flowers on the bigger one today. Hard to see but once I put the 10X magnifier on them I could clearly see the little "spades" on stems starting to pop out. Disappointing but I guess I should have expected at least one of the two plants to be male. It's my first hydro grow & is just bag seed but you always hope that you "luck out" and get two females.

The good news though is that it looks like the remaining plant is a female. What pre flowers I can see with the 10X don't have stems nor are they spade shaped. No pistils yet but definitely a different shape. Since these two plants were in a 5 gal DWC bucket and the big male was growing into the smaller (ostensibly female) plant, I'll let this one veg for another week or two to fill out further (fill in the space where the bigger male was crowding it) and make sure it's a female once I can see the pre flowers better.

What a shame after putting all of that time, light, and nutrients into that big lush plant, but then it's certainly better that I ID'd it & got it out.

420 Member

Hey StonerJ, did you pinch, Fim or top him? nice and bushy!

420 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tricks View Post
    Hey StonerJ, did you pinch, Fim or top him? nice and bushy!
    Actually, none of the above. That's just how they grew. They're under a 400W MH and I think because I kept them close (within inches) that they really bushed up. Only the one on the left is still there. The bigger one was a male, saw those "spades" popping out in 3 places 2 days ago so it's gone now.

The smaller one is a female for sure. I've seen 2 female pre flowers on it within then past two days and now that it's not competing for space with the big male, it's taking off. I started to LST it two days ago too fill in on the empty side (where the male was crowding it) and it's training very nicely. I think I'll be able to take the tie downs off today.

Here are some pics of the remaining female on the day I chopped & removed the big male.

This is the empty side of the plant that was overgrown by the big male.

The same plant from the full side.

Then with the arrow showing the female pre flower.

The last one with the pre flower is kind of tough to see. It actually came out great on my screen so I'm surprised how it did not when I uploaded it.

But hey, I've got one female out of two plants in my first hydro grow so I'm really pleased. One more week of veg and then I'll start flowering. Undecided though whether to change to the 400W HPS or the Phillips Mastercolor CMH. The CMH seems to have all of the red spectrum I need plus some blue and it may help me keep the stretch down & keep this girl bushy.

Tricks likes this.

420 Member

She's lookin fine bro!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast