Thread: Decriminalization of Marijuana in Vermont - Woot Woot!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Decriminalization of Marijuana in Vermont - Woot Woot!

A few days ago I sent a nice little doosy of an email to some Big cats out here in VT... here's what I said (some interesting facts) and here's what one had to say!

Dear Senator Baruth,

Have you seen the recent poll conducted by Public Policy Polling in
    Vermont? It shows that supporters of decriminalization in our state
    outnumber opponents by a more than two to one margin.

The poll also showed that a whopping 74% of Vermonters believe
    marijuana is as safe or safer than alcohol. Only 15% said they believe
    alcohol is safer than marijuana!

Of course, none of us wish to see marijuana use by teens increase.
    Fortunately, H. 427 contains sensible provisions that are designed to
    deter teen use. Under the proposal, teens caught with marijuana must
    complete a drug awareness program -- this send teens a clear message
    that it is not acceptable for them to use marijuana.

Please stand on the side of public opinion and support H. 427, or its
    companion bill in the Senate, S. 134. Thank you for your time and
    consideration.

Sincerly,

Mr. Gaynon
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    and he replied with this!

"Jerald,

I'll be resubmitting the bill Joe Benning and I put forward last session, decriminalizing amounts under one ounce . . . the Governor said at a press conference a week or two ago that he expects to sign it, so we've got that going for us . . .

Best,

Phil Baruth"
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

BigHeadTodd liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

re: Decriminalization of Marijuana in Vermont - Woot Woot!

There is a huge difference between "decriminalizing" and "legalizing". I felt great when Massachusetts voted (ballot referendum) to make having an ounce or less "decriminalized" back in, I believe, 2009. It meant I could walk around with some weed in my pocket and know that I couldn't get arrested for it. After a while I realized that wasn't enough. Sure it was no longer a felony or a misdemeanor but it was still a civil infraction and you could still get fined for it but that is not the same as having "legal" weed. There should be no fine. And unless you are driving erratically, there should be no attention paid to you by the police. Vermont is now headed toward being the first state in the Union to legalize cannabis through the legislature. All other states (and DC) where weed is now legal have legalized via ballot referendum. You go Vermont! I am hopeful that come January 2016 we will have some legislation on the governor's desk for signing! Party on, Wayne. Party on, Garth.