MMJ (disabled, S.S.I.) Patient being Evicted from HUD housing!

In_Hollywood

Judith Scobee, age 56, of Los Angeles, who suffers from: depression, anxiety, insomnia, OCD, stress, lower back pains, and glaucoma and a MMJ Patient with Doctor's recomendation & Patient Cannabis I.D. card + Cannabis grower's paper, has been given a 10 day notice to evict from her 1 bedroom apt. of 4 yrs., in HUD housing, (and near her ailing 88 yr. old Mother's apt. in same complex) on Oct. 24th, 2008 due to "illegal use of premisses, growing Marijuana"! This occured after the Resident Manager "illegally" entered her apt. (without the 24 hr. notice!), when she was out taking her Mother to the Dr. appointment & markets on Oct. 7th, to inspect a recently badly painted balcony in her apt., and only with a phone message to her answering machine (which she got at 8pm on the date he entered of Oct. 7th, '08), and she noticed that 3 books on a table, in her bedroom and a small clock in her bathroom had been displaced and NOT in there usual positions! The next day, Oct. 8th, she inquired to the Resident Manager about his message on her phone and asked IF he'd entered her apt., which he said, yes and that he had to check the balcony and that the painters would repaint it and not to put her plants out until 2-4 days when it'd be dried! She told him, IF he'd given her the proper 24 hr. notice, she'd have moved her plants away from the balcony sliding doors, so he'd been able to see it better, but he told her he'd already checked it and when she asked IF he'd gone into her bedroom & bathroom, due to the displaced items, he told her NO, he'd only gone to check the balcony only! Well, almost 2 weeks later, on Oct. 24th, by mail, she gets the 10 day notice, with no return address on the envelope, and no signature on the typed letter, nor phone number or contact info.! It only states that the "witnesses" were the Resident Manager, the assistant manager, the office manager & another woman who is probably from the Management Co., which she believes they all may have been instructed to enter her apt. by the Resident Manager in order to proceed with his "not in good faith/intentions" eviction! On the same day (Oct. 24th) she proceeded to talk to the Resident Manager, who told her he couldn't talk to her about the notice and to contact the person who sent it, but when she pointed out the way in which the notice was written with NO contact info., she demanded to talk to him and showed him her CA Prop, 215 MMJ Dr.'s recomendation & Patient Cannabis I.D. card & grower's paper, whereupon he told her, that he didn't know about THAT and would need to talk to the attorney! Several days later, on Oct. 28th, she gets a notice on her apt. door saying the Office wants copies of "specified documents", then the next day or so, Oct. 30th, another notice came on her door, stating the Office wants, NOW, copies of Doctor's recommendation & state I.D. card that day. When she came to the Office with her "documents', she told them at a Meeting there, that she could only let them SEE these as they're her Medical Records and they Can't have copies, so they looked/read them and took notes of the meeting which she explained about her Prop. 215 & Dr's recomendation for her illnesses and CA LAW exempts her, as she's a MMJ Patient and gave them a copy of the CA Prop. 215 State Law. They then told her it wasn't in their hands now, but up to the Management Co. and their attornies to decide. When she asked for the attornies names & contact info., they told her they couldn't give her that info.! They also told her HUD housing is a Federally subsidized apt. building, and why didn't she tell them before moving in, about her MMJ Patient status, whereas she told them, she didn't feel it was their business (private Medical condition/records), and the Resident Manager then asked her IF she was aware of the Market value of the apts. iF unsubsidized, and she said it's about $1,075. a month, but the Resident Manager said/told her, it was more like $1,175. a month! She pays only $213. a month for her 1 bedroom, 1 bath apt.! All of these intimidations, threats, harrassments, etc. that she's been recieving from the Resident Manager, recently and the last year or so, for one thing or another, have aggrivated her illnesses more, now, made her life there uncomfortable & unhappy and she's had to find an attorney (at Bet Tzedeck) to help her with the eviction! On Nov. 7th (a Friday), another notice was put on her door to come to the Office - to pick up her rent check as it was being returned, due to proceedure! On Nov. 14th (a Friday), she gets a notice, by mail, from the Court of a filing of Unlawful Detainer, and on Nov. 16th (a Sun.), she gets a phone call of service from a Court person downstairs/outside her apt., and finds out that the fellow has another Eviction notice to serve to another woman in this HUD 200 unit apt. (mostly Elderly, with a handful of disabled, younger people) and he asks IF she's noticed people moving out recently, which she tells him, yes! She mentions there's now a 10 yr. waiting list to get in, and they keep taking more names for it and the only way in, is IF someone dies, moves out or is Evicted + they then can raise the rent, too! She only had 5 mature MMJ plants about to be harvested for Personal Meds and had just gotten 6 small cuttings/clones, that were in her bedroom under a lamp (these got returned to 2 dispensaries, where she'd gotten them - for "store credit) and the 5 plants got harvested! She'd told the Resident Manager on Oct. 24th, IF it's an issue about the plants, she'd get rid of them, and he told her that it would be better to get them off the property! However, with all of this nightmare, she's now trying to find affordable housing (a 1+1 apt.) for $650. to $825. which appears to be impossible on S.S.I. (low-incomed disabled, she gets about $870. a mo. to rent & live on!) in L.A., and near her Mother, to help continuing her caretaking to see her Drs. & go to markets & bank! Her 88 yr. old mother & 28 yr. old son are very upset & worried, now, as IF she get thrown out into the streets, durring the Winter Holidays, she will become Homeless for the first time in her life and because of the Eviction, not EVER be able to rent an apt. again (on credit reports)! All of this due to 5 or 11 total MMJ plants she has a right to have under CA Prop 215 Law for her disability/illness to help relieve symtoms! This IS So Unfair to inflict more suffering on her because she is SICK and a SENIOR (55+), single, woman! This is MY STORY as a victim! =Judith Scobee= AKA: In_Hollywood. Oh! The Management Co. is NOT listed as Plaintiffs, but the complex/apt. building (office Manager, etc.) IS + the attorny's name & info. is listed on the Unlawful Detainer, too. This is going to Court, now! UGH!

I read your original post when you first found out the news. I am dearly dearly sorry and if i lived in California i would offer you my own bed to sleep in. This "Management" is extremely corrupt from what i've read and i wish i could do more to help. Please Message me if i can help you in any way. Again im extremely sorry for this roadblock.. and all over a plant. A FRIGGIN PLANT. God bless and be safe. I will be praying for you tonight.

I read your original post when you first found out the news. I am dearly dearly sorry and if i lived in California i would offer you my own bed to sleep in. This "Management" is extremely corrupt from what i've read and i wish i could do more to help. Please Message me if i can help you in any way. Again im extremely sorry for this roadblock.. and all over a plant. A FRIGGIN PLANT. God bless and be safe. I will be praying for you tonight.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Thank-you, Dr. 215 (and any others who read this) for your prayers & support, as it helps - REALLY! I may need to get this story out to the TV media, soon . . . to make aware to people what IS happening to me, and other MMJ Patients, in the 13 MMJ Patient's states, and how it IS hurting not only sick people, like myself, but their families as well who care! This has to be noticed! =Judy=

I've wondered what's happened to you, and I'm sorry someone has not been able to help you. It really breaks my heart what's happening. It's really about money, not about cannabis. Here's a lady who lives on SSI and will never be able to pay more rent. It's impossible. So hey, we found some plants on her balcony, well that's one person we can get gone. It stinks.

You said you haven't sent this out to the media. Why? You should tell your story. Get one of those investigative reporters that love a good story and let them tell yours. You are basically by yourself fighting a battle. One against many. This may not solve all your issues, but it may also help you find housing. You can bring this outrage to a huge number of people, and let them help fight the battle with you. And that's what it is - an outrage.

Bless you and your mother. I hope there will be good news soon.

I've wondered what's happened to you, and I'm sorry someone has not been able to help you. It really breaks my heart what's happening. It's really about money, not about cannabis. Here's a lady who lives on SSI and will never be able to pay more rent. It's impossible. So hey, we found some plants on her balcony, well that's one person we can get gone. It stinks.

You said you haven't sent this out to the media. Why? You should tell your story. Get one of those investigative reporters that love a good story and let them tell yours. You are basically by yourself fighting a battle. One against many. This may not solve all your issues, but it may also help you find housing. You can bring this outrage to a huge number of people, and let them help fight the battle with you. And that's what it is - an outrage.

Bless you and your mother. I hope there will be good news soon.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = => Hello, HappyKitty and All, Thanks for your support & prayers as it has helped! My attorney has been negotiating a Settlement Agreement with "their" attorney, and I got together with my attorney yesterday (Jan. 8th, 2009) to review & sign what he'd wrote out (& we discussed), and today, 1-9-09, he called to tell me that "they" accepted the agreement and the case is Dismissed against me (this is in regards to my growing 5 MMJ plants & 6 small clones - which I had to get rid of - in Oct. '08)! He told me to go ahead and pay up my back due rent for Nov., Dec., & Jan., which I did today via 3 money orders (for each month) in an envelope! So now, my rent's caught up until Feb. 1st, 2009! I don't have to move (no Eviction!) and can continue to be a CareTaker for my ailing 88 yr. old Mother! However, No More growing of MMJ . . . for my ailments!!! So far, so good . . . but I'm still a bit paranoid of these HUD Housing Office personel trying to find something else against me, now!!! I just want to live in "PEACE" here with NO harrassments to my rights to privacy! =Judy=

I knew you'd make it one way or another. i could tell by your letters that you had drive and people like that prevail. Too bad you can't grow but you can still hit a co-op or collective and maybe aquire meds that way. Look for a product called "mute-it" to hide exhaled smoke. It works. I've owned 2 and use them in motels and while rving.

I knew you'd make it one way or another. i could tell by your letters that you had drive and people like that prevail. Too bad you can't grow but you can still hit a co-op or collective and maybe aquire meds that way. Look for a product called "mute-it" to hide exhaled smoke. It works. I've owned 2 and use them in motels and while rving.

= = = = = = = ==>>> Hi All, thanks for your prayers & support . . . It helped!! So far, it's mid-Feb. 2009, and I'm still here in my apt.! Yes! I can still go to dspensaries for my MMJ! Hope Obama does something Good, Federally (No more DEA Raids & decrimallises MMJ), about CA State Law & MMJ. =Judy=

if med MJ is a recognized pharmeticutical substance by your state HUD should not be able to make that an issue otherwise they have to hassle every resident that take an opiate that could also be abused
you should contact legal services hud may be being forced to discriminate against disabled folks

if med MJ is a recognized pharmeticutical substance by your state HUD should not be able to make that an issue otherwise they have to hassle every resident that take an opiate that could also be abused
you should contact legal services hud may be being forced to discriminate against disabled folks

= = = = = = =>>> Hi there! In CA, under Prop. 215 (voted on, in 1996), it is Legal - under STATE law - with a Dr.'s recommendation for a serious illness/ailment, to use Medical MJ . . . however, under FEDERAL (Government) Law it is still illegal! So, H.U.D. Housing, which is FEDERALLY subsidized housing, is under Federal laws, and doesn't recognise State laws about MMJ! My violation of the lease agreement (Drug-free environment!) is what caused the Resident Manager to issue me the Eviction (Unlawful Detainer), after he "illegally" entered my apt. (No Notice!) & saw my 5 plants & 6 small clones (cuttings)! The settlement, I signed, was done by my Attorney & their Attorney . . which I agreed to (not grow any more MMJ)! This allowed the case to be dismissed - so I can stay in my apt.! I will need to BUY/Donation my MMJ at dispensaries . . . usually about $20. a gram, then hide it and use it carefully! =Judy=

I don't know you, nor have i ever spoken to you, but if i lived in Cali and you were evicted, i would gladly open my home to you.

What they are doing is wrong. And even though, legally speaking they have all the power to (since it is a federal subsidized building, and federal law states MJ is illegal) do what they were going to do, its still morally wrong.

Its just a plant. It effects you in ways other substances do aswell. People talk about the war on drugs, I see it as a war against freedoms of civilians. This is rediculuous and am glad you are (for now) safe in your home. I hope the best for you.

From what I read in this post I dont think it was over money at all ie being able to rent the apt at a higher rate it was nothing more then sheer predjudice do to the majority of societies opinion on marijuana coming from old government studies which were all conducted in a completely biased standpoint. another example is I a 9-10 year chronic pain due to spinal cord injury patient , was treated with 120-200mg of oxycontin daily the higher amount being the does that i had to be raised to as tolerance took over anyways I got to the point where I couldnt stand the feeling that these doses gave me ie falling asleep ,becoming disoriented and loosing touch with what was happening around me my Dr suggest I begin varying between oxycontin and methadone . basically when i started build stronger and stronger tolerance to the oxy's I would return to methadone maintenance to counter the discomfort of opioid withdrawl as well as going thru a period of continually lowering my does over an extended period so that when i could no longer handle the pain I then returned to oxy's . Where the predjudice comes in is if you tell a DR ,Dentist ,Cop or even a aquaintence you need to take opioid based pain reliever due to chronic back pain they are alll sympathetic but tell them you Take methadone to help lower your tolerance avoid withdrawl discomfort and it works as well as a pain reliever but not very effective one, anyways soon as methadone is mentioned all anyone ever hears is your a junkie on meth not that your a pain patient who doesnt want to live life as a zombie who at times can become totaly out of touch with their reality . The same is true as even with all the studies and DR's who have come to realize the plants effectiveness with so many conditions all people will believe is what the government literature says like that one old movie that was around that said smoking marijuana makes people more efeminent, lowers our ability to cope with a situation rationally and that it leads to the use of heavier drugs like heroin and meth. But in the same breath they leave out that marijuana was one of mans first cultivated plants, it has 50000 non medicinal uses as well as its medicinal uses for numerous different medical conditions . But all people believe is what the government tells them no matter how many doctors say otherwise. Imho all the current government information distributed about marijuana is nothing more then the propagation of the original bans on marijuana that I read once were initially lobbied for by members of the pulp and paper industry as hemp can produce more paper per acre than you can make from an acre of trees do to the fact you can replant the area every year and harvest the same amount of raw material for production into paper this of course would have made the logging industry for paper a very obsolete method. Personally with todays fears about rain forest destruction and the consideration of hemps ability to not only be used to make paper but its oxygen production I seriously think it would never have been criminalized for comercial uses such as paper,textiles,sealents and fuels alone not to mention its other uses such as lubricants etc.

Very pleased with you.Not to be happened with any of one.well the major possibility to get rid of it is to get a suspectable evidence for the forthcoming decision and to be fair to be evicted.

:wood:
I am a highly educated (four A.S. Degrees and a Baccalaureate Of Fine Arts and now working toward my Master Degree) 50 something man. I stated this so those who read this forum see and understand that "Heads and MM users are not a bunch of air heads.

I have just moved into Fed-Subsidized apartments. My Dr. just advised me my kidneys are giving out due to Opiates and other cousin (Meds) that he has me on. They are warning of dialysis and other complications coming. I just fill my pill reminder with at least five (5) controlled substances as well as ten (10) (Man Made) chemicals. I live on less than $850.00 an month and by the time I pay for bills, rent and food I'm broke by the 10th of every month. Medical MJ would be a god-send but for the laws of this nation and governments total disregard for its citizens true needs. Now here is my concern, my nerves are completely shot due to years as an executive making a gross income of 150k per year. It was my job to take all the flak at work for the company while managing the employees. They found me slumped over my desk one morning when my now ex-wife called the owners looking for me. I was relieved of my contract, left without my severance pay and my wife left nine (9) months later with all savings to start a new life with her girlfriend; oh and to make it hard on me so she could take away our child she told all my major credit card companies that I had died. With spinal injuries (Advanced Spinal DDD) as well as a weak ticker (advanced CHF), Type-1 Diabetes, mild By-polar disorder and finally depression (Go Figure). I need this housing as well as my SSI just to survive. I contemplate just dieing and being free from suffering pain in my body as well in my mind. Doctors told me my nerve endings are dieing due to a poisioning with medical grade Iodine during a heart procedure.

Our government has no intentions of helping those with Disabilities when they already give the pharmaceutical companies lobbyist so much now. The tax payers pay these astronomical costs every day. The Good Ol Boys club in Washington D.C. Lobbists lubes the hand of the Prostitute Politic Democrats as well as Republicans and they are all making a fortune at yours and my expence. Our current government has only made this even more unreachable for most in need. It will now be easy to let the Sick and Disabled die rather than care for them in a compassionate way.

Now that I live in a subsidized apartment I can take no chance at a liberal avenue. There is just no way I could be safe from the Jack Boots here in California. They want to open the concentration camps again to 'reduce the numbers' without loosing the economic base they have, IMHO. It's called health care reform just put a limit on the money you will spend on those not of the elite than we cover our butts. Have you notice that none of any government employees, The Senate, Congress or the President has to use this system. Everyone else must use and if they can afford $1.00 they must buy their own. I'm not affiliated with any political party anymore and this is just one reason.

Your government on the most part does what it wants to do as long as it supports the few with more power; be it money, connections in high places or religious sanctions. But you know the one I fear most, the religious extremist "Christians Moral Majority or Limbaugh Ultra Conservatives" of this nation they will, steal, kill and destroy whomever gets in their way to get control. While all the long they will do what you would be discussed from. They are as wolves in sheeps clothes. They will label you with words that are defaming and down right prejudicial. Believe me I know.

Sorry to hear all of this. My family and i work. I have chronic pain and my wife is really no better we are jacked up on perscriptions and thinking relocating to Cali is the best option. Seeking to grow, help others and have sought possibly looking at federal housing.

I do work but limited on what jobs pay these days.

Anyhow, glad to see part of it worked it self out.
I make about a max of 14.00 an hour now doing customer service.

I have 10 years collections experience being a goon for corporate america.

Blood pressure skyrocketed. So i had to end with mortgage collections.

I was looking at Marysville, or an area up north. Live in Milwaukee and grew up in Cali.

I have not touched anything in 20 years by the way. I do however see a medical need...The pills jack me up.

Not to get off the topic but you won't believe what I did when I was working. I was a State Licensed C. M. Collections Specialist here in So Cal. As the Certified Manager for the company my hours were very taxing. I made good money but it took so long to get my SSI, I got the base amount and Cal rolled back three years of cost of living increases by a total of over $50.00 each month. Now the Federal government is going to stop increases for the next three or more years. Try living on $845.00 a month in California, not fun. Cost of living here is very high.
As for moving to Cal I would suggest you have jobs lined up before you make the move. The job market is very bad here. Also I live in an area that has several H. U. D. housings as well as Federal subsidized Apartment project as well, but I waited for over three years to get in. I was homeless for ten years after the house I was renting was burned down during a wildfire in `99. There are very few that have a vacancy even on a bi-yearly event.
I have been clean for over thirty years, save for one three week period that a doctor told me I would need it during that time for some of the side affects that meds would cause.
I see a doctor just for my pain meds alone. I have many issues with the meds alone as well. Tired of feeding the monster. :morenutes: MM would be a nice alternative. I could be off almost all the narcotics within a month.
Good luck in your endeavors. :goodluck:
Tao

I would be just as broke as i am now. Aside from the chance to grow and smoke herb.

Not any worse than life in sconsin. My job pays 11.50 an hour doing HMO enrollments for the state of Wisconsin. We are the outsourced agency.

If you have a degree in Social Services then you might get a job doing that for any one of the county offices. I do know to work for the county here you need a Bachelors degree just to shuffle papers. The government here has put a freeze on hiring though (county) and the state may be doing the same. California is just about broke.

If you can get work for one of the H. M. O. services that's a different story, I don't know what they would require. I. E. H. P. is the biggest.

All do piss test at this time. More about that later.

I encourage you to make plans first, go to the state web site and look under jobs for listings. If you want to look in a specific county that is a sure way to know what jobs are open and then in some cases you can apply online. :wood:

You know what is best for you and your family. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom