Cuttlefish (Squid) Ink Risotto Stuffed Baby Peppers
Skill Level: Medium
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Chill Time: N/A
Serving Size: 1-2 peppers (¼ – ⅓ cup/60-80 ml risotto each)
Yield: 20-30 peppers (8-10 servings)
• ½ cup/120 ml MagicalButter Coconut Oil
• 6 cups/1420 ml fortified shrimp, fish, chicken, or vegetable stock
• 2 cups/475 ml arborio rice
• 1 pound/450 g fish, shrimp, lobster, or mushrooms, diced (optional)
• 1 cup/240 ml dry white wine (Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
• ¼ cup/60 g flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 2-3 tablespoons/30-45 ml pink Himalayan salt
• 2 tablespoons/30 ml Italian herbs
• 2 tablespoons/30 ml squid ink (I get mine at my local seafood store)
• 1 tablespoon/15 ml freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon/15 ml of seasoning salt
• 10-15 baby sweet peppers, yellow, red, and orange, halved
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large onion, thinly sliced
• 1 shallot, minced
• ½ lemon (juice and zest)
1. In a medium-sized sauté pan set to medium-high, heat the oil for 45-60 seconds.
2. Add the onion, shallot, mushrooms (optional), and half the salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the rice, increase the heat to high, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add the wine, and cook until almost all of it is boiled off, stirring occasionally.
6. Combine the squid Ink, lemon juice, and broth in a separate pot. Cook on high heat until it just starts to boil.
7. Add 1½ cups/360 ml of the stock mixture into the rice, stirring occasionally, and cook until the stock has almost completely absorbed. Repeat until all the stock has cooked off, leaving the rice with a creamy, sauce-like consistency.
8. Add seafood or mushrooms (optional), and cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Stir in the parsley, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Your risotto is now ready to stuff into the peppers.
Stuffing the Peppers
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F/165°C.
2. In a large bowl, mix the peppers, the rest of the oil, and the Spice Mix until the peppers are completely covered.
3. Fill the peppers with the risotto, and place them on a cookie sheet.
4. Place the sheet on the center rack of your preheated oven, and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Garnish your Cuttlefish Ink Risotto Stuffed Peppers, serve, and enjoy!