Drunken Pumpkin Soup
Skill Level: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Chill Time: No chill time
Serving Size: ¾-1 cup/180-240 ml
Yield: about 8 cups/2 L
• ½ cup/120 ml MagicalButter
• ½ cup/120 ml MagicalButter Coconut Oil
• 2 cups/475 ml fresh pumpkin, chopped
• 1½ cups/355 ml vegetable or chicken broth (3 cups/700 ml reduced to 1½ cups)
• 1 cup/240 ml heavy cream
• ¾ cup/180 ml Southern Tier Imperial PumpKing Ale
• ⅓ cup/80 ml bourbon of your choice
• ¼ cup/60 ml extra bourbon to add just before serving (optional)
• 1 medium-sized onion, diced
• ½ Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced (optional)
• 1 carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 teaspoon/5 ml turmeric
• 8-10 fresh sage leaves
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• Truffle popcorn
• Toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. Place the diced pumpkin into a baking dish, drizzle it with coconut oil, salt, and pepper, and roast it for 30-40 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the MagicalButter.
4. Once your MagicalButter is magically bubbling, sauté the onions, carrots, and sage for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove the saucepan from heat, and empty it into your MagicalButter machine with the rest of your ingredients, except the cream and bourbon.
6. Press the Temperature button, and select 160°F/71°C; then press the 1 Hour/Oil button.
7. When the cycle is finished, return the soup to the saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the bourbon, and cook the soup for 5 minutes.
8. Add the cream, and simmer on low for 5 more minutes. Stir constantly—do not let it boil!
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top your Drunken Pumpkin Soup with toasted pumpkin seeds and truffle popcorn. Add bourbon (optional), and stir. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!