Hard Candies & Lollipops
Skill Level: Hard (like the candies!)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: About 15 minutes
Chill Time: 15-20 minutes
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Yield: About 180 pieces
• ½-1 cup/240 ml MagicalButter Tincture, reduced to MBO
• 2¼ cups/530 ml granulated sugar
• 1½ cup/350 ml High Sweet Powder (powdered corn syrup)
• ½ cup/120 ml warm water
• 2 tablespoons/30 ml LorAnn Oil (super strength flavor of your choice)
• 1 tablespoon/15 ml citric acid powder (or Tart & Sour liquid)
• 5-10 drops food coloring (optional) Also needed: •Hard-candy molds
• Candy thermometer
1 .In a 1-quart/950 ml non-stick saucepan set to low heat, reduce your MagicalButter Tincture to MBO by simmering until almost all the alcohol has evaporated (about 15-20 minutes), producing a syrupy consistency and appearance, like molasses.
2. Add the flavor extract of your choice. Continuously swirl your pan in a gentle, circular motion until it returns to the molasses-like state.
3. Add the citric acid powder or Tart & Sour liquid. Remove the pan from heat, and set it aside until you’re ready to add the contents to the candy mix.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix the sugar, corn syrup, and water, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil without stirring. Insert the candy thermometer, carefully preventing it from touching the bottom of the pan. Continue to boil without stirring until the temperature reaches 260°F/125°C. Then add food coloring; do not stir.
6. Continue to boil the candy until just before thermometer reads 300°F/150°C; then remove it from heat.
7. Let the mixture cool down to 260-270°F/125-130°C; then add the flavoring, and quickly whisk the mixture to ensure proper distribution within each piece. The mixture will bubble up, so be careful, and stir briskly but thoroughly.
8. Quickly pour the liquid candy into prepared molds, and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes; then refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes.
9. Once cooled completely, break your hard candies apart, coat with powdered sugar if desired, and enjoy!