Irish Beer Cheese Sauce
Skill Level: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Chill Time: N/A
Serving Size: ¼ cup/60 ml
Yield: About 4 cups/950 ml
• 6 tablespoons/90 ml MagicalButter
• 1 bottle (11.2 ounce/330 ml) Irish ale (e.g., Smithwick’s, Guinness Blonde)
• 1 cup/240 ml Half & Half
• 8 ounces/230 g sharp Irish cheddar cheese, shredded (e.g., Kerrygold)
• 8 ounces/230 g Gruyère cheese, shredded
• 3 tablespoons/45 ml flour
• 3 tablespoons/45 ml hot sauce (e.g., Louisiana or Sriracha)
• 1 tablespoon/15 ml Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon/15 ml mustard (Dijon, strong Irish, or whole-grain)
• Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1.In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, melt the MagicalButter, then add onion, salt and pepper and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3.Whisk in the flour and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
4.Stir in the beer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5.Begin to add the half & half ⅓ at a time and stirring constantly.
6.Slowly whisk the cheese into the sauce until everything is completely combined.
7.Finish by adding the hot sauce, mustard and worcestershire sauce, stir until all of the ingredients are combined, pour into serving vessel and serve.