Mango Glazed Blueberry Scones
Skill Level: Medium
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: N/A
Serving Size: 1 scone
Yield: 12 scones
• ¼ cup MagicalButter, chilled and cut into chunks
• 1 pint fresh blueberries
• 2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra for rolling berries
• ¾ cup buttermilk or cream
• ⅓ cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 4 tablespoons MagicalButter
• 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
• 1/3 cup mango juice or nectar
• Zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar; mix thoroughly.
3. Cut in the chilled MagicalButter using 2 forks or a pastry blender. The resulting MagicalButter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs.
4. In another bowl, mix the buttermilk with the egg, and add it to the flour mixture. Mix just enough to fully incorporate; do not overwork the dough.
5. Roll blueberries in flour to coat them; this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked. Fold the blueberries into the batter, being careful not to bruise them. Drop large tablespoons of batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake your scones for 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Allow them to cool before applying the glaze.
1. Combine the MagicalButter, sugar, orange zest, and juice in a double boiler.
2. Cook until the MagicalButter and sugar are melted and the mixture has thickened.
3. Remove the glaze from heat, and beat it until it’s smooth and slightly cool.
4. Drizzle or brush glaze atop your scones, and let it harden to a crisp haze.
5. Serve your Mango Glazed Blueberry Scones, and enjoy!