$10 to $22 Carbon filter Charcoal

Perfect Sun LED

Here is what I did. I already had bought 6 inch ducting at Home Depot for $12 for 8 feet of it. The 4 inch is even cheaper, if you use 4 inch fans.

Anyway, go to Walmart and buy a carbon filter. The one I bought costed $10. If you already have ducting, then you only need to spend $10. Wrap it up and put it inside your ducting. Done. If you want a video of it, here you go.

DIY carbon filter for grow room, eliminate odors. $10 - YouTube

The filter I bought: Honeywell A pre-filter. I show the box in the video.

I repacked my carbon filter similar to a Cana filter. Y-Carbon sells carbon in pellet or other forms in kilos or bulk. It cost me about $10 to refill the filter and $10 for a cheap Rivet gun. So far (1 month) it's been working great. I tried the above method with a 4" ducting but felt it restricted air flow to much.

Yeah, with 4 inches, it might be a bit constricting. In that case, I would have made a 4" tube with metal mesh, like the kind at walmart used on those bird feeders. Then I would have attached duct to each side and wrapped the carbon filter around the mesh.

Although this method works, it does restrict airflow a bit, even in my six inch, so I instead built a filter using hardware mesh. I rolled it up to be the same size as my fan so the duct would fit over it. I then wrapped my charcoal lining around the mesh. Then I realised, duh, it would work much better if I capped the end off. I forgot about that part. Capping the end of the filter off, forces the air to come through the charcoal mesh.

I got a roll of hardware mesh at Home Depot for $10.

So the total cost of the fiter = $10

Back
Top Bottom