100% Virgin Grower

BloggerDope

Fellow citizens to 420Nation. Fellow Tokers. Lets first start by :rollit:....ok: The time has finally come for my first ever attempt at a grow. I have spent the past month or so poking around 420magazine.com reading each one of your grow journals. :reading420magazine: It was each one of you AMAZING people that INSPIRED ME to attempt to be a part of your life as you are mine...(and at the same time cultivate some beautiful ladies of course)...:yummy: Let me describe "The Situation" (no Jersey Shore):

It has been 5 days since I ordered my choice of seeds. I ordered Top44, simply for the fact that I keep on reading about how easy it is to grow and that it should be a quick grow. I would do my first grow with bagseed, but to be honest I havent seen a seed in over a year (only buds from feminized plants).

I plan this being a very small, minimal grow. I am only growing for personal use, so I intend on keeping only one to two plants going at once. This brings me to my first question...If I intend on only having one female going, how many seeds should I germinate? (These seeds are NOT feminized)

For lighting, I have considered anything. I found LED panels (45 watt) on Elights.com for $135, so I thought maybe I could buy two of those for both vegging AND flowering. Another option I am considering is buying a CFL setup for vegging, and a HPS rig for flowering. Let me know what you think!!!

I was also thinking I would germ in vermiculite. This brings me to another question: I have read a lot of you guys wonderful journals and havent once read about you germing in the same planter that you finish in; would I be screwing up big if I germ in the same planter that I want to flower in? (I plan to flower in a 4 gallon bucket; I read that 1 gal = 1 ft. and I have space for a 4 ft. plant). The reason I want to germ in the same planter that Ill finish in is because I want to avoid transplanting. Any suggestions would be great!

As far as vegging, I plan to use distilled water only until the plant is about 6 in. tall, then use 1/4 strength MiracleGrow since I want this to be very easy on my pocket. I havent thought of what to do about flowering, but again I want this to be minimal, so I don't want to do a whole lot of flushing. I will NOT be topping this plant, but I may consider using the LST method. The reason I won't be topping this plant is due to the fact that it takes longer to recover and this is to be a quick grow.

As far as where I will be growing, I think I am going to buy a big rubbermaid container and line the inside of that with mylar. Then I will simply hang whatever lighting you guys decide I should get above that.

Please feel free to critique my plans for I know not what I am doing! LOL

:peace::thanks::peace::yahoo::peace:

Thanks for dropping by to comment, CJ! You are very right about this place, it is awesome! Ive been amazed with the kindness and help from fellow members...its refreshing to see such co-existance! 420 brings us together!

Quick UPDATE:

I checked my order with the seed bank, and they marked my order as Payment Received!!! I sent cash in an envelope to them 5 days ago, so that means I could possibly get started germing in as soon as 5 days!!! Remember, I ordered 10 Top44 strain seeds, known for being quick-growing and beginner-friendly.

Now I need to get about ordering my light setup, can I get some input on what I should go with for lighting?!? Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $180 for a complete lighting setup.

Another thing, Im at work right now, and Im planning on going by a nusury or a Lowes/Home Depot when Im off...Im looking for a potting soil that has no nutes, right? Any particular brand soil?

fox farm oceon forest soil im a newbe to but alot would agree i think.its pretty neutral as far as ph. goes and its organic.all my research tells me its the best good luck hope this helps.im not sure lows or home dept.sells this may check that nursery u talked about.

Cool I appreciate that Strouse, I have seen a lot of journals mentioning fox farm, but not specifically Ocean Forest so this really helps! The nursery here is one of the best in the states they say so Im sure they will have anything I will ever need.

Although I do want this to be as simple and minimal as possible (and as cheap as possible)....I DO want to have a great plant. Is there anything special that is a MUST?

Another thing, does anyone have some experience with Top44? I read another growers journal on top44 and things went pretty smoothly for that grow...im just curious to see what everyone thinks!!!

im a first timer as well so i prob. shouldnt give advice but i have spent countless hours of research to make my first one a good one of all the sites ive visited this is by far the best and most freindly lots of great advice here from great people as far as your budget the ff.soil is $20 or so for a big bag plus u have the worm castings perillite bat guano and other goodies in it. its a pretty complete soil plus it looks to be beginner friendly

O, awesome! I had no idea it came with all those organic treats for my babies. You are being a huge help Strouse! Im kind of in panic mode trying to get everything I need before these seeds come in...

The thing I guess I filed as "most important" in my mind is my LIGHTING!! What if I bought a HPS unit and ran that through veg AND flower processes, but also included a LED panel or two (add some red color) for the flower process as well? Would that work? Should I just go with fluros for vegging instead and switch to HPS for flowering?

A little side note: I already have a microscope and Im going to get a new Digital Camera TODAY!!! I know you all like to see pics more than words!

You will want HPS for Flower and MH for Veg. You can get a switchable ballast that will be able to run both types. The problem with the HPS/MH is it will be greater than you $185 limit. As for LED's I have read that the yield is lower, and there is a longer flowering period.

the t5 fluros.work real good hardly any heat so u can put them close maybe like 6in. or so this will keep your plant stretch to a min. away from the plants so that makes up for the lumins u dont get compare to the hid like the hps but u still get like 6500 lumin not sure about the leds ive heard there kind of expensive for flowering i think u have the right idea about the hps maybe like a 600 or 1000 w. should do u. consider the amount of plants and the size of the area u need to cover then just go from there on your choice. hope this helps get u started.keep us posted on your grow good luck

To Strouse: Thanks for your help! I called my local nursery and they have a 10 gal bag of FF Ocean Forest for $12.50! Not too bad, huh! Ill pick that up after work.

To Casear: From my initial research, it looks like I will be paying roughly $300 for an HID switchable kit...do you think this is the best I can do? (this price includes both a HPS and MH bulb)

I went with a 150 hps all-in-one to start with. It was awesome for veg and flower, except now at 6 weeks flower, only the top 10 inches gets good light. Everything below 10 inches of the canopy top is NOT thriving and NOT very green, but rather yellow leaves and loose buds. The 150 does not penetrate very far.

That may be a good idea, Strouse! If I were to go with t5's (those are CFL's right?) and a small HPS unit for flowering I would potentially be spending about $200 instead of $300 for the HID conversion unit! I guess the question is: Is the MH setup going to provide results that are worth the exta $100?

I found a CFL unit for $40. Could I use that for vegging and then use the SunSystem HPS unit w/ ballast for about $100?

Im really trying to explore my options...all of your input is really appreciated and welcome.

Hey Joe, I was looking at buying a 150 all-in-one HPS unit too? How much space are you lighting??? How many plants do you have growing? Maybe you could add a couple 45-watt fluros to the sides to help get some light your babies.

Is my house gonna smell a LOT more if I have two girlies growing at once compared to just once girl?

Decisions, decisions.

wow $100 for a hps thats cheap and t5 is the newest in the cfl they produce the most lumin to watt. ratio i think that the $300 set up would be the best to get.how many watts is that set up.

well the 150 watt HPS unit is made by Sun System AND includes bulb for $75. It says that it puts out 16,000 lumens. Is this enough for a rubbermaid container?

the 400 watt HPS unit made by Sun System is $140. thats not too bad and could make all the difference in the yield im sure.

Im stumped as to what to do for vegging as of now....any suggestions as to what I should do for vegging inexpensively?

I know Im dwelling on lighting WAY too much...but it looks like I can go with seperate Sun System MH and HPS units for a combined price around $280. This is do-able because I can order the MH now and start vegging while I save up for the HPS unit! Does this sound like a good plan?

yep sounds good to me i think you would get better results with the 400 watt.oppose to the 150 though. my opinion a 600w. or a 1000w. would be the best unless there is a huge diff. in price.if only a lil higher it would be a big diff. in the end.

Yo :ganjamon: Strouse you are a huge help. :thanks: Cant say it enough. Ive made the decision to go with 400 watts MH with enclosed ballast for $170 and a 5 year warranty for vegging (and the comparable 400 watt HPS for flowering. Like I said earlier I plan on ordering the Metal Halide tomorrow and the High Pressure Sodium when im just a week or two before flowering!

This should be a ridiculous amount of Lumens for my girl. Remember, I plan on only keeping one or 2 max females going at once...any male will get the chop as soon as it shows. Im wondering, how many seeds do you think I need to germ in order to make sure Ill get a female??? I dont know why I didnt order feminized seeds...Ill be right back, got some blue dream rolled and ready. :rollit:

Back
Top Bottom