1000W LED Cotton Candy Kush Indoor Hydroponic Grow - 4th Grow - Still Learning

LifeHacker589

Hello people of 420M!

New guy here. I have been reading these forums for years to pick up tips and such but i decided to start a Grow Journal here so hopefully i can get better advice from experienced growers.

So to start, here is what I am working with....

I have currently 3 small grow spaces (only using 2 right now)
one is a dresser that i modified myself to use as a stealth grow box (made it back when i was living in an apartment when stealth was a concern).
then I received a 2x4x6 closet that i also modified as a grow cabinet, which turned out very well.
then i had a little extra cash one day and bought a 2x4x5 tent with new lights and a new fan and filter.
GEDC06041.JPG
GEDC06051.JPG
GEDC0603.JPG
GEDC06223.JPG
GEDC06072.JPG

Stealth cabinet is temporarily out of commission. So i am currently using the 2 2x4s.
I received some seeds that a good friend got for me online. one of them, the ak-47, sprouted but did not make it. not sure why. It was under the same conditions as the White Widow auto i sprouted at the same time and the white widow is now doing great.
anyway, currently i have the cotton candy kush and white widow auto going strong. But lets focus on the cotton candy kush.

So the larger 2x4x6 cabinet has a
-300cfm exhaust fan with filter
-1000w LED light (will check what brand later, I forget...)
-Hydroponic (run-off) with perlite grow medium.
GEDC06072.JPG

It will surely look odd so i might as well explain, but i read a lot about root space and decided to do a little experiment. my previous grows used pretty small pots and they got root bound pretty quickly. this time I decided to try a rubbermaid storage bin as my pot being that i have more space to work with this time around. It probably provides far too much root space but i wanted to see how the added root space would effect bud size/density etc. if at all. so this plant has an 18 gal pot. No problems so far and it is growing like a monster.

In the tent:
-1000w LED light (same brand, same light as cabinet)
-190cfm exhaust fan + filter
-Also hydroponic with perlite grow medium

If i had to guess I'd say first question you will all ask is "why perlite?"
well.... I find it easiest to work with. First of all, you do not have to condition perlite in any way to adjust the pH like you do with rockwool.
also, it provides excellent aeration for the roots and it retains water quite well.
only problem i have to deal with using perlite is algae. but putting covers over my pots to block the light and using H2O2 once in a while and this is never a problem.

also I should add, I am starting this journal a little late. my cotton candy is already about a month into veg and 2 days ago i cut 2 small clones from her and put them into the tent with the White Widow auto.

I had some difficulty as usual in the seedling phase which i believe is a minor nutrient problem but I have dealt with it almost every grow and now i think i know how to avoid it. I suspect that each time i start nuts either too late or too early. this obviously slows the rate of growth as i have witnessed. But I think now I have that problem solved for the future, and i have mapped out the feeding schedule she likes so now she is doing great!

I am using general hydroponics nutrients; micro, grow, and bloom
also I have been using small amounts of silica 7.8 concentrate and my plants seem to LOVE it!
My watering schedule is typically every 3-4 days. Every other watering they get only pH adjusted, RO water with added H2O2. besides that they just get regular nutrient doses with added silica.

Currently I am using (per gallon):
micro: 3ml
grow: 3ml
Bloom: 1.5ml
Silica: 2ml

For the vegging cotton candy.
Healthiest plant i have seen so far in my growing experience.

My temps stay roughly between 75-78F
and my leaf surface temps usually read out to 75F.

These 1000w LEDs I'm using are new, and no they are not a name brand. went with the cheap stuff, but they seem to be working very well. So bright i have to wear sunglasses just to check out my plants or it hurts my eyes. And these lights do include UV as well as IR spectrum's.

My pH is always at 6.0 to the best of my control.
By that I mean I check and adjust the pH immediately prior to each watering, even if it is water that i have already used 3 days ago, I still check pH every time before watering as pH (as i have read anyway) can fluctuate.

I think that is all.....
cut the two clones 2 days ago and they are already starting to stand up on their own. Used Clonex rooting gel- never fails me.

Ill leave some more pics if it will let me and I look forward to informative and constructive feedback. This is literally only my 4th grow ever and soon to be 3rd harvest. so obviously I am new and trying to learn as much as possible. If you see something wrong with my setup or have suggestions for things i could do better please let me know. That is after all why I am here haha.

keep smoking -
LifeHacker

Edit: for some reason it will not let me post more pics on here. Is there a limit? Ill try to post more later on. gotta crash. peace!

Also I forgot to add, My cotton candy kush plant for whatever reason grew naturally with 2 tops. ??? dunno why, genetic mutation or something... but that did speed up my training process and the plant looks super healthy so I don't think it will hurt anything.

That being said, I have topped it like 3 times already and have I don't know... i think close to like 20 tops by now. Going for a supercrop effect basically and it seems to be working great. at least 3 or 4 of the lower branches have already shot up to canopy level.
Planning to veg for like another month maybe? let her get nice and bushy, hopefully enough to fill my square footage. lets see if it will let me post more pics this time....

This is the cotton candy kush roughly a week and a half ago...
GEDC06081.JPG

This is cotton candy kush now....

GEDC06213.JPG
GEDC06202.JPG

and here is the white widow auto and cotton candy kush clones....
GEDC06283.JPG
GEDC06252.JPG
GEDC06274.JPG
GEDC06263.JPG
GEDC06234.JPG

very nice indeed with each passing grow we avoid troublesome situations. regards

Thanks! This is the most exciting and promising grow I've done so far! Can't wait!

Okay.... need to troubleshoot one of my clones.

The first one so far looks fine. But when I checked on them after I got home from work I noticed the second clone has some brown-ish spots on the leaves. I have never seen this before so I need some advice. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough for everyone to see what I am talking about. I have circled the affected areas in red. Let me know what you think.

GEDC0630_LI.jpg
GEDC0629_LI.jpg

Okay I did a little quick reading on this thread > Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

After reading a bit, I think my clone may have a phosphorous deficiency? or possibly poor uptake of that nutrient due to low humidity or low temps.... The only thing about that explanation that does not add up for me, and i very well may be missing something... its a fresh cut clone... and I have not added any nutrients yet... i don't know. maybe due to perspiration it has depleted the phosphorous it had stored away? I'm more or less just spit-balling some educated guesses here...
can anyone help lead me in the right direction?

I think it's humidity. I've never cloned but I know that they absorb most of their early water through misting etc using a dome. Tough with large pots.

I think it's humidity. I've never cloned but I know that they absorb most of their early water through misting etc using a dome. Tough with large pots.

thanks! ya I had suspected humidity. I have been misting them 2 times a day but currently I have been working 10 hour shifts and I have no dome....I used larger pots because I was hoping to reduce the number of transplants before flowering because transplanting is always a pain and I always get nervous that I will damage the root system so I try to do it as little as possible. But you may be right because every other time I have cloned I used smaller seedling type pots with a dome and I never had this issue. I may have to re-clone with smaller pots and add the dome...... O well just another mistake to learn from. I may cut a couple more tomorrow but I'm still gonna try and get these ones to pull through if I can. If I end up with extra clones then I already know a co-worker that would love to have one and he said he would trade me for some good seeds if I could get him one. I'll work it out. at least the White Widow Auto is still doing great! That one was the easiest seedling I have ever done! ha ha! She came up in like 2 days and just exploded from there.

thanks! ya I had suspected humidity. I have been misting them 2 times a day but currently I have been working 10 hour shifts and I have no dome....I used larger pots because I was hoping to reduce the number of transplants before flowering because transplanting is always a pain and I always get nervous that I will damage the root system so I try to do it as little as possible. But you may be right because every other time I have cloned I used smaller seedling type pots with a dome and I never had this issue. I may have to re-clone with smaller pots and add the dome...... O well just another mistake to learn from. I may cut a couple more tomorrow but I'm still gonna try and get these ones to pull through if I can. If I end up with extra clones then I already know a co-worker that would love to have one and he said he would trade me for some good seeds if I could get him one. I'll work it out. at least the White Widow Auto is still doing great! That one was the easiest seedling I have ever done! ha ha! She came up in like 2 days and just exploded from there.
For your information. The lid from a peanut butter parfait at Dairy Queen fits the top of a Dixie cup perfectly and is an awesome humidity dome......plus the obvious bonus of dessert.

I see that you are not getting any answers here for your problem. I am not an experienced grower but why don't you post this question & pictures in Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial or in Ask Us Anything - Sharing Knowledge 420Style. Someone should chime in.

Btw cool setup. :goodjob:

Thanks! I have put more money and effort into my 3 set-ups than I can even explain so I'm really glad they are working out. The dresser was not easy to modify but it turned out really nice and does great with small grows. I got my last harvest from the dresser (the closet and tent are both new) using a 300w LED and I cropped out a little over an oz of good buds and maybe a quarter of trim and shake from it, but I know if I had trained those plants better I could have gotten probably 2 oz from it. Next time...

When you do clones your humodity needs to be around 90%!! So best way is to , put a clear solo cup over it and or in a humidity dome , I had 100% success rate on my clones I cut 24
420-magazine-mobile1544941304.jpg

There you go brother.....from an expert. 100% success rate.....key is a dome. Even as Nugz says....a solo cup turned over til they establish themselves.

There you go brother.....from an expert. 100% success rate.....key is a dome. Even as Nugz says....a solo cup turned over til they establish themselves.

Clear solo cup tho light still has to penetrate solo cup i used to do it the old way with humidity dome then a aero cloner was given to me I cut at 45 degree angle and I shave a little bark off straight into water so no air pockets, then root get into a solution of clonex and mammoth p and I'll have roots in 7-10 days

Thank you everyone! The problem got significantly worse, so I cut the tops off of 2 empty and clean milk jugs and set them upside down over each clone. We will just have to see if they recover or not but if not I was planning on cutting a lot more clones from that plant anyway before I flower. Live and learn. You have all been super helpful thanks again! Looking forward to a 100% success rate on next round of cuts! :thumb:

Thank you everyone! The problem got significantly worse, so I cut the tops off of 2 empty and clean milk jugs and set them upside down over each clone. We will just have to see if they recover or not but if not I was planning on cutting a lot more clones from that plant anyway before I flower. Live and learn. You have all been super helpful thanks again! Looking forward to a 100% success rate on next round of cuts! :thumb:

Did you cut IMMEDIATELY into water so no air bubbles in stem, cut at 45 degrees , shave some outside skin off branch some times I even cut up into branch 1/4"'to get more surface area, rooting gel or powder , or aloe works great, and then I go into jiffy pellet, rapid rooters or rockwool, then heat tray a little and cover so gets humid add a little water to my tray ph to 5.8 with clonex and mammoth p in it here is a dope idea i gotta find my book then I'll post a pic of it

Back
Top Bottom