1000w MH/HPS Soil SCROG?

HorseBadoritz

High all,

A geezer and a geezette here, who are gearing up to do a first indoor grow. After looking at lot of other grow sites, I've got to say that 420 seems to have, by far, the friendliest and most knowledgeable community. Thanks for that!

A little background: we've done a lot of outdoor growing... learned to roll with the punches, and still love it. Unfortunately the lawmakers and keepers here don't (roll with the punches or love it).

So indoors seems like a good place ;-)

We've been given:

An old SunSystem hood w/ vent holes perpendicular to the bulb

960 Hortilux MH/HPS that's done maybe 1 grow

An old SunSystem 1000w MH/HPS ballast which I've wired for 240V

A 240V Master Lighting control box

A squirrel-cage 90° fan of undetermined cmf

Plan is to make a tent out of 12mil B&W crawl space liner and velcro. Inside tent dimensions: 43" X 43" x 60".

Tent is in a semi-conditioned crawl space, and light is vented to the outside. I've done a mock-up out of space blankets. With the light on, the temp stays about 82° inside and 65° (pretty much the normal ambient temp) in the crawl space.

Not sure what we're growing, might be a white widow or purple kush?, but, we'd like it to be in soil... something about the dirty hands, ha. And, because of the challenged headroom, we're thinking SCROG.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers, or errors and omissions on the set up. Like I said this is unexplored territory for us.

Water is another of our issues, I think. We have a well that puts out 20 gal/min, but unfortunately, not all of that is pure water! Lot of Manganese, some iron, and, of course, calcium. Sooo, we have water softener, great for keeping the clothes white, but I'm hearing not so great for keeping our great grand children green?

I'd rather not put in an RO system right now, but I do have a dehumidifier in the crawl that puts out about 50 pints a day, even more in air conditioning season... which looks like might just start today.

Our tap water is 168 ppm (442) w/ PH 6.5
Out of the dehumidifier 7.9 ppm PH 7

Can I use the dehumidifier water, and what would I need to put back in it?

Could I safely store the water in a plastic garbage can type container? Any toxicity issues?

Sorry about the long-windedness, guess I've been lurking so long I just blurted everything out!... naaaaah, I still have plenty more questions.

Thanks for any input. :peace:

High all,

A geezer and a geezette here, who are gearing up to do a first indoor grow. After looking at lot of other grow sites, I've got to say that 420 seems to have, by far, the friendliest and most knowledgeable community. Thanks for that!

A little background: we've done a lot of outdoor growing... learned to roll with the punches, and still love it. Unfortunately the lawmakers and keepers here don't (roll with the punches or love it).

So indoors seems like a good place ;-)

We've been given:

An old SunSystem hood w/ vent holes perpendicular to the bulb

960 Hortilux MH/HPS that's done maybe 1 grow

An old SunSystem 1000w MH/HPS ballast which I've wired for 240V

A 240V Master Lighting control box

A squirrel-cage 90° fan of undetermined cmf

Plan is to make a tent out of 12mil B&W crawl space liner and velcro. Inside tent dimensions: 43" X 43" x 60".

Tent is in a semi-conditioned crawl space, and light is vented to the outside. I've done a mock-up out of space blankets. With the light on, the temp stays about 82° inside and 65° (pretty much the normal ambient temp) in the crawl space.

Not sure what we're growing, might be a white widow or purple kush?, but, we'd like it to be in soil... something about the dirty hands, ha. And, because of the challenged headroom, we're thinking SCROG.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers, or errors and omissions on the set up. Like I said this is unexplored territory for us.

Water is another of our issues, I think. We have a well that puts out 20 gal/min, but unfortunately, not all of that is pure water! Lot of Manganese, some iron, and, of course, calcium. Sooo, we have water softener, great for keeping the clothes white, but I'm hearing not so great for keeping our great grand children green?

I'd rather not put in an RO system right now, but I do have a dehumidifier in the crawl that puts out about 50 pints a day, even more in air conditioning season... which looks like might just start today.

Our tap water is 168 ppm (442) w/ PH 6.5
Out of the dehumidifier 7.9 ppm PH 7

Can I use the dehumidifier water, and what would I need to put back in it?

Could I safely store the water in a plastic garbage can type container? Any toxicity issues?

Sorry about the long-windedness, guess I've been lurking so long I just blurted everything out!... naaaaah, I still have plenty more questions.

Thanks for any input. :peace:
I use well water with 225 ppm...grows plants great w/o nutes
I use the dehumidifier water to water my plants with..I do not allow for the PPM in my well water either way. I nute normally like its not there
trash cans are fine

Thanks PV, I've seen a few of your grows, and to say the least, they're quite impressive.

The water from all my taps is softened, so there is some salt in it. Good to know some ppm can be helpful, I may try a faucet before the filter.

And, glad to hear the dehumidifier water doesn't have to go on the tomatoes<G>

Back
Top Bottom