11 Countries With The Harshest Drug Laws On Earth

Robert Celt

Drug crimes still carry the death penalty in some places across the world.

Many Americans might argue that drug laws – particularly marijuana possession laws – are too harsh in the United States. Still, compared to some other countries, American drug laws are relatively relaxed.

The movement to reform pot laws in the U.S. has picked up major steam in recent years. Marijuana is already legalized in four states and the District of Columbia, and many more states are pushing to legalize it in 2016. That means the U.S. could be headed for major marijuana policy reform. The same is not true for many other countries.

The movement to legalize marijuana is virtually nonexistent in many countries around the world where the drug is prohibited.

Numerous countries still prosecute drug crimes very aggressively, and some even execute people for drug-related crimes.

• Japan has some of the developed worlds strictest drug laws. Getting caught with even one joint can lead to a five year sentence with hard labor. First timers may get only six months.
  • Phillipines getting caught with as little as a 1/3 of and ounce can be a death sentence.
  • Malaysia Possession can be a 5 year prison sentence and dealing a death sentence.
  • Indonesia A single joint can mean five years in prison and trafficking a longer sentence or even death.
  • UAE Possession carries a minimum four year sentence.
  • Cambodia Possession can carry sentences up to life in prison for foreigners. Locals are allowed to grow a few plants for cooking.
  • Thailand Traffickers can get death, users may be sentenced to mandatory rehab.
  • Iran Sentences range from heavy fines to death sentences.
  • Singapore Even possession of small amounts can lead to a "drug-dealing" charge which carries a death sentence.
  • Saudi Arabia Selling almost always is punishable by execution.
  • China Users are sent to rehab while traffickers receive a death sentence.
gavel_and_bud.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 11 Countries With The Harshest Drug Laws On Earth
Author: Emily Grey Brosious
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Daaaaayymmmm!

Notice that the majority of the countries listed also have strong human rights laws? Oh wait most don't. Most of the countries listed are countries low on most peoples bucket list of places I want to vacation in before I die. I could be wrong, perhaps Iran really is the new hot spot for vacationers around the world.

I do feel sorry for people who are stuck in these countries having to live under their backward thinking rules.

Yes OG, there does seem to be a correlation but I also notice a disconnect.

I've been fortunate to know some pretty cool folks from Iran over the years. The really funny thing is that from what I understand from them, the majority of the common "man on the streets" type in Iran, have really similar social tolerances as we in the US. The majority of the younger 18-35 yr olds are actually pretty liberal and would be glad to get acheive a seperation of church and state and thus get rid of some of the harsh penalties for a number things. Adultry anyone?

In Japan, they are incredibly tolerant about somethings (i.e. 14 yr. old age of consent), but then obviously dang serious about the cannabis. I suspect we've all heard of the sex industry in the Philippines and here is a link to a Facebook of a person or group celebrating growing there - MonsterBud Philippines MonsterBud Philippines in case link is removed.

Just crazy that there is such divergence between what the "norm" is and the "official" position. Wait, come to think of it, that's not so different from here in the good old USofA. Maybe, we the people, need to start taking back our governments all over the world.

Just a thought.

When I was living in Thailand I used to do regular trips into Malaysia for visa renewal formalities. Wandering around in public in Georgetown and Kuala Lumpur, I couldn't believe how often I was asked if I wanted pot, hash, even cocaine. Uh, No Thanks!!!
In real life, in the countries on the list that I've been to anyway, there is plenty of drug use, same as everywhere else- and what ends up happening is that the police just have more power over you and can demand bigger bribes. Japan, a very strange country, being an exception when it comes to the bribery system I think.

Back
Top Bottom