12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HPS

Well I think I let them go without water too long this time around. It didn't seem like it had been that long so I figured they must be rooted pretty good and decided to transplant them, they pretty much all had roots going right down to the bottom. Hopefully it didn't stress them out too much. They look pretty rough at the moment.

So I have...
1 Frankenberry, it began life as the three cotyledon one and seems to be coming along.
2 Girl Scout Cookies supposedly feminized Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, but I think platinum is a pheno so I am just saying Girl Scout Cookies
6 Blackberry Kush, which apparently came from a batch that went hermie after the grower lost light for four days.

I've been saying that these Blackberry Kush seeds looked really deformed, so I finally got a picture of that...

20160519_112743.JPG

Anyway I put them into 1 gallon pots, well I put two of the Blackberry Kushes into two ~half gallon pots, figured since I had more of them I could stand to let those live in a smaller pot and try to get more size of the GSC and/or Frankenberry by saving 1 gallon pots for them. Working with 9 of them lead to a really funky arrangement. The runt there is one of the GSC, but it still had roots going right down to the bottom so I think it will do okay. Out of 6 planted of the GSC those were the only two that ever germinated, I am wondering if next time I need to scarify the seed to let it absorb moisture.

They all got a top dusting of my last bit of OG Tea as well

IMG_20160520_024046.jpg
IMG_20160520_024010.jpg
IMG_20160520_023854.jpg
20160520_025337.JPG
20160520_025324.JPG
20160520_025311.JPG

Great seedlings TFert! I don't think it was mites though, sometimes seedlings can get those weird leaves because of low humidity. And sometimes they can just be wacky and grow out of it. Those blackberry Kush seedlings look awesome. And I love blackberries! Especially mixed with Kush. My huckleberry Kush is my favorite smoke at the moment. Gonna see if I can invite some peeps to attend this fun show. You are doing a great job journaling and thanks for posting in the anxiety thread!

It didn't look like mites to me.
I'm "that guy". It looked like too much water. Less is more. When the cups/pots look dry on the surface, remember the roots are at the bottom. When you think a plant needs water, it probably doesn't. When a plant actually does need water, you will know it.

:cheer:

I've stopped worrying about the funny looking leaves early. They are so far long gone by the time it hits flower. As long as it is growing new growth and looking green in the new growth. Mites I battled last year that was horrible in flower but veg was easy enough to handle. Oh yah and subbed now ;)

Looking great to me !

:peace:

FE

Great seedlings TFert! I don't think it was mites though, sometimes seedlings can get those weird leaves because of low humidity. And sometimes they can just be wacky and grow out of it. Those blackberry Kush seedlings look awesome. And I love blackberries! Especially mixed with Kush. My huckleberry Kush is my favorite smoke at the moment. Gonna see if I can invite some peeps to attend this fun show. You are doing a great job journaling and thanks for posting in the anxiety thread!

Hey thanks for dropping by and spreading the word! It was getting lonely in here :p Low humidity would explain a good deal, I have been having a hard time keeping it in the 30-40 range, even less with the small pots, it was more like 25-35 at the early stage. I am excited about these Blackberry Kush seeds, I wasn't expecting them to even be viable let alone so vigorous. I mean I have never grown from seed to have a benchmark, but they seemed to break ground ridiculously fast. I am liking that the leave definitely look like big stubby Afghani leaves, I got these seeds from a friend who got them from a bag from a different grower... So I have been leaving a lot of room for things not being what they were advertised as. The bigger ones have actually started putting off some fragrance, and they smell amazingly hashy. Excited!

Oh and I have to thank you for putting the pepper thread in your signature I would have never found out about that!

It didn't look like mites to me.
I'm "that guy". It looked like too much water. Less is more. When the cups/pots look dry on the surface, remember the roots are at the bottom. When you think a plant needs water, it probably doesn't. When a plant actually does need water, you will know it.

:cheer:

Yeah I have been reading your advisements on watering in many other threads and think it paid off. I have always been an over waterer but I am really pleased I kept them dry, they laid some very deep roots just like you said they would. I am not sure if I really transplanted at the perfect time, but I basically used it as an excuse to check out the roots. Even the smallest one had them right along the bounds of the cups. I think the gallon pots will give them a nice home to grow into, after all I am kind of hoping to keep them kind of small and fast with the 12/12 from seed method.

I've stopped worrying about the funny looking leaves early. They are so far long gone by the time it hits flower. As long as it is growing new growth and looking green in the new growth. Mites I battled last year that was horrible in flower but veg was easy enough to handle. Oh yah and subbed now ;)

Looking great to me !

:peace:

FE

Thanks man, yeah I had mites on my first grow, I think I get a little too vigilant about them now. I see a hair, I am like "Is that a Web?!" I think I have got a much nicer setup now though, so much easier to keep clean and that helps so much. I am surprised I haven't got any yet, but I am thinking it's more a matter of when and not if, so I plan to keep up the neem treatments.

Thanks for dropping in everyone!

Well there wasn't really much to do this evening, just letting them dry out, but they looked so much perkier I had to take some more pictures. I think I am going to just spend the next day or two cleaning up and maintenacing the tent. Need to wipe things down. Did I mention here I sprayed some Ortho Home Defense on the edges of the floor? I haven't noticed any more critters crawling around. Though I can't say it was as effective for the rest of my house lol

I am pretty pleased with the genetics that I got here. Still a little leary about them going hermaphrodite, but I think I will be okay since they should stay small and and easier to inspect for male flowers. I still wouldn't mind getting a couple males to do a controlled pollenation, but I'd rather the rest of the plant be sinsemilla. The GSC were suppoedly purposefully hermied to get ferminized seeds, and the Blackberry was accidentally stressed with no light for four days and self-pollenated as well. So in either case I mean, that recessive gene might rear its head but that's why I intend to not transplant them again from this point on. Going to try to keep things as stress free as I can. Wish I could get humidity up but I'll probably see it as a blessing come flowering time. High/low on my temperatures are 70 to 79 (it got a little colder this evening) and the humdity was 35-39 so it's good it's holding steadier.

Does anyone know much about Girl Scout Cookies? He told me that it was Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, but I mean as far as I know that's just a phenotype of GSC so I think he meant they came from a plant of that phenotype. What I'm wondering though is whether or not the seeds from that phenotype are any more likely to be stable, or if it's still kind of a wild card as it normally is. Aren't they supposed to get stable if you self-breed to and F2 generation? I only ended up with two of them so far and the stems are looking like the PGSC clone I once had.

IMG_20160522_005455.jpg
IMG_20160522_005439.jpg
IMG_20160522_005426.jpg
IMG_20160522_005412.jpg
IMG_20160522_005403.jpg
IMG_20160522_005352.jpg
IMG_20160522_005330.jpg
IMG_20160522_005314.jpg

They are looking good today. Be careful the droop curl maybe from overwatering. Let the pots get fully dry before watering again. Really helps the roots stay oxygenated and searching for water. Nice full root systems happen when you go fully dry.

I would upcan them once more before flip. The stress of being rootbound would be much more than transplanting. A 3-5 gallon pot would be nice. Keeping plants stress free is a good goal but transplanting to good size finish pots will let them reduce stress knowing there is plenty of room to grow. As below so above. Your root mass tends to coincide with bud yield.

Looking good!

"Platinum Girl Scout Cookies is an evolution of the infamous OG Kush and Durban Poison hybrid strain, Girl Scout Cookies. Platinum Girl Scout Cookies takes this strain a step further, adding a third, unknown strain to the Durban Poison / OG Kush cross."

They are looking good today. Be careful the droop curl maybe from overwatering. Let the pots get fully dry before watering again. Really helps the roots stay oxygenated and searching for water. Nice full root systems happen when you go fully dry.

I would upcan them once more before flip. The stress of being rootbound would be much more than transplanting. A 3-5 gallon pot would be nice. Keeping plants stress free is a good goal but transplanting to good size finish pots will let them reduce stress knowing there is plenty of room to grow. As below so above. Your root mass tends to coincide with bud yield.

Yeah I think they were beginning to wilt before I up canned, I have been letting them get bone dry,only over watered once (I think) and it was to do the neem drench.

Well since I am doing 12/12 from seed there's really no flipping them. I think they will probably start flowering before they outgrow their gallon pots, from what I have seen following other journals. They all advocate starting in the pot you're going to finish in when doing 12/12 from seed. I am thinking about just setting them atop 3 gallon pots so there is no stress and they can just grow down through the pot into the new one. I think that is how DrZiggy was doing it on his grow.

Looking good!

"Platinum Girl Scout Cookies is an evolution of the infamous OG Kush and Durban Poison hybrid strain, Girl Scout Cookies. Platinum Girl Scout Cookies takes this strain a step further, adding a third, unknown strain to the Durban Poison / OG Kush cross."

Thanks! I didn't know it was a total different strain. So I guess I need to start refering to them as Platinum GSC. My buddy grew some out but didn't like the yield, said the Buda were wispy, but I thought it was great stuff.

Thanks Canna Montana. Hey should we call you Miley Highrus? :p

Well I was a little less thrilled opening up the tent today. It looks okay for the most part except the Frankenberry and Platinum Girl Scout Cookies are showing signs of leaf stress. The PGSC's leaf edges are curling up and the Frankenberry has a weird chunk missing out of its leaf. I already freaked when I saw black on the undersides but it was dirt from transplanting. So I think I should give them a bath to rinse off anyway maybe they should get some more neem. I just don't seem to know how to avoid burning them when I spray, I try right before the lights come on but it doesn't prevent all the burn. I am thinking I should just do lights off but I remember hearing somewhere it's bad to spray right before the lights are off.

IMG_20160524_054822.jpg
IMG_20160524_054913.jpg

I think the PGSC might be heat stress, my temperatures are okay but I have been hanging the hygrometer on my hood. If I put it down by the plants it's significantly hotter. I didn't know which was more accurate but I am going to try to put it on the PGSC plants to see what the discrepancy is. I also figured I would be safe to raise the light, it's pretty high now 20-24 inches above all of them. I put the two curled girls in front of the fan too.

IMG_20160524_055157.jpg
IMG_20160524_055002.jpg

The Frankenberry... I don't know that plant's a weirdo. I don't think it's bugs, but I don't know what else would cause a chunk of the leaf to go missing.

Anyone ever notice this weird waxy coating on their stem? It goes right up to the cotyledons and stops. It's on my two bigger Blackberry Kushes. It doesn't seem problematic or anything just never seen it.

IMG_20160524_055916.jpg
IMG_20160524_055906.jpg
IMG_20160524_055821.jpg
IMG_20160524_055800.jpg
IMG_20160524_055601.jpg

Anyway things are mostly good, I don't believe any of them need water yet. I spaced the pots out a little bit so they weren't sensing their neighbors too close by and not grow as fast as they can. I am going to try to keep the smaller plants in the center to try to get a leg up on the taller ones.

I pics in no particular organization

IMG_20160524_060136.jpg
IMG_20160524_054927.jpg
IMG_20160524_054922.jpg
IMG_20160524_054822.jpg

Oh here is a picture of the bud the Blackberry Kush seeds came from

20160522_215620.JPG

Pots look plenty damp still.

I'm thinking the waxy stuff on the stem is runoff from spraying that has collected and dripped down. Dunno.

I don't agree that spraying with/at lights off is bad. In fact, most instructions I've seen say to do exactly that. It lets the spray coat the leaves longer w/o drying. It is more effective at killing the pests that way. It also lets the spray evaporate without the immediate phototoxicity common with many foliars.

The only time I don't like foliars is in late bloom where the prolonged moisture can create mold or rot.

That blackberry kush is a good strain..I just finished one about 1 month ago..I had the same problem with mine where the leaves were curling up..just watch her she will tell you what's wrong with her..that's what I did
20160401_095213.jpg
20160401_095055.jpg
20160405_004318.jpg
20160405_052911.jpg
20160405_060225.jpg
20160405_060649.jpg

170 grams dried and cured

That blackberry kush is a good strain..I just finished one about 1 month ago..I had the same problem with mine where the leaves were curling up..just watch her she will tell you what's wrong with her..that's what I did
20160401_095213.jpg
20160401_095055.jpg
20160405_004318.jpg
20160405_052911.jpg
20160405_060225.jpg
20160405_060649.jpg

170 grams dried and cured

Oh yeah I remember seeing these I thought I had replied to the thread they were in. I heard it wasn't a high yielder but that looks pretty good to me. I would be happy with half of that!

Pots look plenty damp still.

I'm thinking the waxy stuff on the stem is runoff from spraying that has collected and dripped down. Dunno.

I don't agree that spraying with/at lights off is bad. In fact, most instructions I've seen say to do exactly that. It lets the spray coat the leaves longer w/o drying. It is more effective at killing the pests that way. It also lets the spray evaporate without the immediate phototoxicity common with many foliars.

The only time I don't like foliars is in late bloom where the prolonged moisture can create mold or rot.

Hmm good guessing on the runoff, I was adding Palmolive to my water so maybe it's a soapy film. I don't know why I tried that, I read in Jorge's book it helps penetrate the soil better. Who knows if it's helped, doesn't seem to have hurt anything, but I do feel weird feeding my plants soap. Sometime I feel like you have to take things from that book with a grain of salt. In some cases he just downright contradicts himself. On one page he claimed neem oil was not effective against mites, then on the very next page under neem oil it says "Caution: Very effective against mites." It's like okay Jorge, first of all that doesn't seem like a thing to have caution over, secondly what the hell were you talking about before. I think he meant neem powder. Anyway just griping, at least I borrowed it from a friend before buying it.

Anyway not to get into a big discussion about Jorge, I think I will rinse them off tomorrow with just plain water. I have my light schedule to go off at noon and I have an appointment today so won't be here for the lights off window, unless I open up the tent and spray them but I don't know if that's a good idea to interrupt their dark cycle. Does it even matter right now? I know it can increase risk of hermits, but I thought it had to be during flower, and had to be sustained light.

I am still not really sure about my decision to do 12/12 from seed. Frankly I didn't really expect this much vigor from the Blackberry Kush, I think I am going to to save the remaining seeds I have and maybe try to clone or reveg after harvest. I am just imagining I am not going to get much yield compared if I did the normal grow-one-big-plant style but I really wanted to try this method. At least small plants are easier to maintain.

I was very happy with the results..I only veg for 5 weeks and she went 11 for flower..used 300 watts cfl..Imy waiting on some seeds now can't wait to start my new grow..just ordered 00 seeds Chocolate Kush,Female Seeds Bubblegummer and Strain Hunters Money Maker and I got 1 free seed and it was Vision Seeds Critical Impact

I would try not to interrupt the light cycle. I try to spray just before lights out.

I was very happy with the results..I only veg for 5 weeks and she went 11 for flower..used 300 watts cfl..Imy waiting on some seeds now can't wait to start my new grow..just ordered 00 seeds Chocolate Kush,Female Seeds Bubblegummer and Strain Hunters Money Maker and I got 1 free seed and it was Vision Seeds Critical Impact

Wow I must have really screwed things up my first grow. I had 300 watt CFL too and didn't even get more than 70 grams off three plants! I only let then go for 8 weeks though, and my lights were blue spectrum, so mayyyybe that's why. Maybe you're just really good at it lol

Here's my old setup
2015-05-25_13-33-57_446.jpg

Well I am a little worried about heat. It's 70 F in my room where the tent is, and the hygrometer is reading ten over that down by the plants. That's really bad, because come the end of July I am gonna be lucky to keep it under 80 in here so that means 90 for the plants :-( I guess I can try to raise the lights more in the meantime but I don't think the proximity to the bulb/hood is really the problem, it's the radiant heat from the light itself.

I need a new fan I think. I got this Apollo piece of crap, thing is already squeaking and trying to seize up if it's not sitting the right way. I was thinking I needed to order a new one for backup anyway in case this one croaks, but seeing reviews saying it's not pushing the 400 cfm it's rated for. One guy said his 250 cfm pushed more air. So perhaps I just need a better fan to get the temperatures the same as ambient, or is that even possible underneath the light? It is an air cooled hood, but it's pulling out of 25 feet of ducting. Thinking I need a booster fan in the line.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a fan?

Back
Top Bottom