12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HPS

Well my Platinum Girl Scout Cookies are starting to taco and I don't know what the issue could be. The still seem plenty wet..

Temps are 70-81
Humidity 28-35 percent
Light is 24 inches above, air cooled
Transplanted 4 days ago and already showing roots out of the bottom...

IMG_20160525_002305.jpg
IMG_20160525_002143.jpg
IMG_20160524_060014.jpg
IMG_20160525_002237.jpg

Two of the kushes are coming out the bottoms too...
IMG_20160525_002053.jpg
IMG_20160525_002217.jpg

Do I need to transplant again already?? I guess going up to a gallon from a solo cup isn't really that much more room.

I stuck a bucket full of water in there, maybe raising the humidity will help. I think the Frankenberry is starting to show signs of it too so I don't think it's strain specific.

Edit
Could it be stress from the transplant to begin with? Because thinking back, all three plants showing stress had much less developed root balls. They were still all the way down, but the soil was looser. Maybe I shocked the roots and now they're having a hard time taking water?

The only other thing I could think of is I top dressed with a microbial tea that was like 2-0-2 on the NPK scale and it's very acidic by its nature. All the other plants got it too though and I have never experienced pH lock out from it.

Weren't they up-potted into the 1 gal pots like 5 days ago? It usually takes mine a good two weeks before another transplant is ready. The roots are at the bottom but I doubt they've formed a good root ball that will hang onto the soil in those pots. The soil looks damp still in the pictures.

I'm not seeing much, if any, tacoing. The leaves are perking up, which is what I like to see. Magnesium shortage or heat stress can cause tacoing.

They are looking good.

Weren't they up-potted into the 1 gal pots like 5 days ago? It usually takes mine a good two weeks before another transplant is ready. The roots are at the bottom but I doubt they've formed a good root ball that will hang onto the soil in those pots. The soil looks damp still in the pictures.

I'm not seeing much, if any, tacoing. The leaves are perking up, which is what I like to see. Magnesium shortage or heat stress can cause tacoing.

They are looking good.

Probably worried for nothing. A little deficiency would make sense, this soil doesn't say what the rating on that is, but being that it's so low on NPK I bet it doesn't have much magnesium either.

Well it will be a few more days before watering again, I sprayed their leaves down with water. I mainly just wanted to get all the dirt and stuff like that off of them so I wouldn't keep having to bust out my loupe to see if a spec is dirt or mite poop. The PGSC are still weak, they fell right over when being sprayed.

I am pondering the 3 gallon pots. If I put them in bigger containers then theoretically they should get bigger (not sure if that's true for 12/12 from seed) but I only have 5 of those 3 gallon ones so I think I would want to know which were female before putting them in the big ones. I should be starting to see preflowers in the next week or two.

When is the best time to switch to HPS?

Oh and would anyone worry about using a nutrient/microbe solution they mixed up a week ago? I am all out of OG Tea so I mixed my last bit up into some nutrients and it's been sitting in the cupboard. I think I should just use fresh, but if there wouldn't be any harm in it, why not try to give them or microbes.

Speaking of which, I gotta remember to get stuff for LABS-- Lactic Acid Bacilli Serum. Some fermented rice water, mixed with milk at room temperature until the kurd rises, and then right under that and between the bottom is LAB serum. Home made microbes for the cost of rice and milk.

I arranged the pots differently and cleaned up and he grow room. One of the two larger plants got smacked with a vacuum cleaner handle as I was pulling the house in. It's kind of loose at the base but still standing up straight, no big deal. I think I need to water soon, I wanna try to catch it just before wilt so I am going to check this morning before the dark cycle; they're pretty dry now so I bet the light will dry them up more. The rest still feel pretty moist I stick my finger down in there. I wanna let them get nice and dry so I can get a good feel for how light the gallon pots are when dry.

Re: 12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HP

I would go less than 12/12 from seed. I have no idea who or when that started but genetics may not kick in 100% with 12/12.
You can cut 1-2" of the bottom of the pot and insert onto a larger pot. Works great. Be aware that the plant is sometimes too heavy at that point and if the roots are not totally dialed in to the larger pot you can have your plant uprooted by accident. :)

Re: 12/12 Bag Seed - Blackberry Kush - Frankenberry - Girl Scout Cookies - 400W MH/HP

Wish I could give you some advice brother, I have a experimental 12/12 from seed plant growing at the moment. But I haven't kept up with her age or about when she started flowering, also just for shits and giggles I've kept her in an 1qt size pot ;) The only reason I grew her was because I found her (the seed) in the floorboard of my work van lol so her name is floorboard
420-magazine-mobile208109154.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1736731928.jpg
hope I don't offend you by posting the pic, just thought you'd enjoy it since you have a 12/12 grow going

Tarheelgrower's 2016 Outdoor Growing Adventure - 20+ Strains
Tarheelgrower Tries Autos - Think Different, Auto Blackberry Kush & Auto Ultimate

Not quite a 12/12 grow, but I planted seeds under 18/6 and left them that way for the first two weeks (about 1-1/2 weeks, let's call it 10 days above ground). I then flipped to 12/12 and it took 20 more days for pistils to be obvious.

Not quite a 12/12 grow, but I planted seeds under 18/6 and left them that way for the first two weeks (about 1-1/2 weeks above ground). I then flipped to 12/12 and it took 20 more days for pistils to be obvious.

So i get it right? running Photo plants but starting right out at 12/12?

Interesting!

Fe

So i get it right? running Photo plants but starting right out at 12/12?

Interesting!

Fe

Yes. You end up with smaller plants but it is a good option with limited height and/or SOG. It makes any plant an "auto".

with light 11.0/13.0 90-110 days (Seed2Weed) ;) Those were mostly sativas

That was the one with all the ACE strains right? That's pretty much what inspired me to try it this way, but I thought you were doing 11/13 just because they were mostly sativa! Too late to change it up?

I was thinking about tiering it up like that in the way you did it too, but I didn't really want to cut my pots up so just went with the old way.

Also, not really happy in the equipment departent today. I bought this Apollo inline fan like March 29th and it's already squeaking and rubbing on the inside of the cowling if I hold it sideways or move it. Stupid company won't refund it since it's already been 30 days past the purchase, plus I have to pay the shipping to send it in just to get an exchange! Well I wasn't about to let them go without proper ventilation, so I ordered a VenTech 440 and I am going to wait until I have that setup to send in the Apollo for exchange. I really don't want another one, but whatever I guess it can be backup if the VenTech goes out. This just means I'm going to have to put off getting a carbon filter even longer, and that REALLY isn't ideal because I am sucking up cat hair into the damn thing. I'm going to try to find some cut-to-length filter to put on the open end of my hood in the meantime so I don't just start sucking cat hair into the new one, but I think I might try to source that stuff in town versus online. Bah, I know to some most of this might not seem very expensive, but I'm on disability, I just wiped out like half of my income after rent/bills. :(

Edit:

I gave the plants another lookover. I have a girl! Yay! She's only showing one small little pistil so far but it's definitely there. She right at 21 days!

Well I bought a cut-to-fit filter today and put a square on the end of the hood, and also taped some in front of the vents on my tent. It seems pretty coarse, good air flow, not sure it's actually going to filter that well. I guess it's better than just the netting on the vents though. I cut up a screen for a screen door into squares and taped it over the inlet duct on the bottom of the tent, and slipped another square of the cut-to-fit filter in underneath of it. I put cardboard on the sides of the tent just to make sure there's no light leaks big enough through the vents to bother the plants. You can kind of tell how much the flaps stick out because of the filters now. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but I get a lot of cat hair everywhere so it's probably a good idea.

Not much to update with the plants. The pots don't feel much lighter than they did yesterday. I'm starting to think I over-watered my last crop WAY too much, because I wouldn't have even gone this long with 5 pallon pots. No wonder my yield was so abysmal. Still it's really nerve-racking because I keep thinking every night I don't water them that the next time I open up the tent they're going to look all wilted. Some of the leaves on one of the biggest plants and lightest pots is starting to hook down, but not sure if it's water related or deficiency. They all look like they could use some food, but waiting for them to get nice and dry before feeding/watering.

Oh and Tarheel, no problem with me if you post some of your pics. I have been trying to find other 12/12 from seed threads to follow so I can get an idea of what to expect and what not.

IMG_20160527_011001.jpg
IMG_20160527_010947.jpg
IMG_20160527_010935.jpg
IMG_20160527_010920.jpg
IMG_20160527_010902.jpg
IMG_20160527_010841.jpg

In order to cure watering psychosis it is necessary to do this test. Let them stay unwatered until they just begin to show signs of wilt. You will find out in most cases they have to be super dry in order to start wilting. If you are scared to do it with all just choose one plant that is not your favorite.

With my veg plants I water them just before they start to wilt. Sometimes I miss the window and they begin to wilt. But I don't worry too much. They come right back. So see what the soil is like in appearance and weight when that one plant just starts to wilt. Then water it. It will stop your mind from freaking about watering so often. We all have the tendency to want to kill our plants with love. Only by training can we overcome that obstacle.

By the way the filters look great on the tent vents!

That was the one with all the ACE strains right? That's pretty much what inspired me to try it this way, but I thought you were doing 11/13 just because they were mostly sativa! Too late to change it up?

I was thinking about tiering it up like that in the way you did it too, but I didn't really want to cut my pots up so just went with the old way.

Also, not really happy in the equipment departent today. I bought this Apollo inline fan like March 29th and it's already squeaking and rubbing on the inside of the cowling if I hold it sideways or move it. Stupid company won't refund it since it's already been 30 days past the purchase, plus I have to pay the shipping to send it in just to get an exchange! Well I wasn't about to let them go without proper ventilation, so I ordered a VenTech 440 and I am going to wait until I have that setup to send in the Apollo for exchange. I really don't want another one, but whatever I guess it can be backup if the VenTech goes out. This just means I'm going to have to put off getting a carbon filter even longer, and that REALLY isn't ideal because I am sucking up cat hair into the damn thing. I'm going to try to find some cut-to-length filter to put on the open end of my hood in the meantime so I don't just start sucking cat hair into the new one, but I think I might try to source that stuff in town versus online. Bah, I know to some most of this might not seem very expensive, but I'm on disability, I just wiped out like half of my income after rent/bills. :(
Look up bug shield. I use them on all intake vents.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Thanks Shiggy. Yeah there's a lot of discipline involved in it, it kind of seems like checking them often doesn't help either because then you notice things with the leaves and think something is wrong. Slightest little spot or leaf curl and I get way too concerned lol

I'll check them out millertm!

The one thing I don't like about letting this soil dry out so long is that it kind of contracts and leaves space between the side of the pot and the rootball. Not that I know of that being a problem, but it just bugs me.

by the looks of your plants you should be watering every 3-5 days. For my 1 gallon pots it takes 3 cups from dry to get them nice and wet. 4 cups will give me some runoff...about 10/15%. It's honestly almost a good thing to let your plants get nice and dry helps build stronger root systems/plants...and as far as the soil not filling the pot around the sides: it is a good thing as well...it helps get more air to the roots, you just wanna look out for light getting down there, but in 1 gal that's very unlikely.

do the: lift your pot and feel the weight..when they're dry they feel like nothing. like there is almost no way it could be that light with soil/plant and a pot. lol looking good :thumb: :passitleft:

loving the cut to fit filter idea. I was racking my brain trying to think of a good way to filter the air on a passive system. +rep :thumb:

Thanks Shiggy. Yeah there's a lot of discipline involved in it, it kind of seems like checking them often doesn't help either because then you notice things with the leaves and think something is wrong. Slightest little spot or leaf curl and I get way too concerned lol

I'll check them out millertm!

The one thing I don't like about letting this soil dry out so long is that it kind of contracts and leaves space between the side of the pot and the rootball. Not that I know of that being a problem, but it just bugs me.
Be carful, I've noticed that when using a peat moss soil base if it drys to much, it won't hold water. I've has to pre wet with a gal of nutes that will come right out. Once it's re wetted, I can then feed correctly.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Back
Top Bottom