12/12 separation

TheLibrarian

I am in my first grow with two White Rhino and two Snow White that came and sprouted beautifully from Nirvana. I built a box 24" x 48" x 60" and lit it with some florescent tubes for the first two months. Little growth, but healthy plants and then I ordered a 400 watt switchable MH/HPS cool tube lamp and then all went wild.
My girls love the new light and the new Fox Farm Nutes. After a week of 18/6, I switched to 12/12 HPS and they are loving it. Full form, each variety has her own distinct growth pattern and they continue to grow daily. I am so glad they did not suffer too greatly from the bad lighting at first.
My actual issue is that I can only visit them from five to five daily. They are kind of like my kids. I want to be able to see them when I want to, but alas I must allow them their precious sleep. It's been almost a week, but no flowers yet. Can't wait.

By the way, I love this site and all of the great information located here. I really think this is a community of growers that is here to support one another. Thanks for that.
OK, Peace all.

sounds good,,,, i use a 400w MH and a 150w HPS in flower mode,,,,, i've heard MH works best for quality and the HPS works best for quanity, they also say 2 weeks MH, 4 weeks HPS, 2 weeks MH is a good way to go for 8 week cycle..... just saying... good luck

Is the 400w HPS too strong for the flowering cycle? The setup I bought came with one 400w MH and a 400w HPS. Also, how far should the HSP be from the tops of the plants?
Thanks,

heat from them is your main concern... i've seen HPS very close to plants, but they were cooled.. i think MH get a bit hotter,,, put you hand on top of the plant, if it burns you after a bit, its to close... i have a light mover and at times the plant almost touches the bulb, but it doesn't stay there for long, its moving all the time.... good luck..

Hi TheLibrarian... :welcome:

What he said... Heat is the problem, not light. There is almost no such thing as too much light if you can keep the heat down.

I'm running a 1000 watt HPS on a Lumatek ballast on the "Super Lumens" setting (which is somewhere around 1100 watts). I have a sealed, air-cooled hood that I'm pushing 449 cfm through, and my plants are about 2-3 inches from the glass with no problems at all.

Also if your temps get much above 80 degrees Fahrenheit it will start to slow your growth.
:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom