13 year old niece needs help

Twithy

420 Member
I am a recent mmj patient, I have recurrent prostate cancer am treating with rso oil but enough about me.I have a 13 year old niece who has epilepsy, she is a beautiful young lady full of potential. I believe she would benefit from medical cannabis, her parents aren't very open to the idea. I can't stand the thought of her using toxic drugs when she could so benefit from cannabis. I am looking for ideas of how to talk to her parents about the benefits and overcoming the stigma involved.

I am a recent mmj patient, I have recurrent prostate cancer am treating with rso oil but enough about me.I have a 13 year old niece who has epilepsy, she is a beautiful young lady full of potential. I believe she would benefit from medical cannabis, her parents aren't very open to the idea. I can't stand the thought of her using toxic drugs when she could so benefit from cannabis. I am looking for ideas of how to talk to her parents about the benefits and overcoming the stigma involved.

Years of inaccurate propaganda and the attached stigma due to that is difficult to overcome, for sure.

It would also be difficult to suggest a change if present medications are keeping the seizures at bay. It's hard to argue with success and especially if the success has been obtained without causing severe adverse effects. People don't generally want to fix what ain't broken.

You might consider a casual conversation along the lines of "Hey, did you hear about CBD being approved by the FDA for severe seizure disorders?"

Epidiolex is pure cannabidiol, which is CBD.

This might open the conversation up to talk about Charlotte's Web CBD from hemp and the story of the strain's namesake little girl whose seizures did not respond well to conventional treatments but were helped by this cannabis strain. This story was the catalyst for changing the law in several states to allow CBD treatments legally and helped propel Epidiolex to eventual approval.

I don't think a pressure sell is going to work but a casual conversation might plant the seed, no pun intended.

Ultimately, you have to accept that it's not your call and that you may not be able to change their mind. Mention it around the girl and she may decide for herself one day.

Thanks backlipslide and alafornia,I will read the links and appreciate all feedback.The thing that is very concerning about my niece is that she isn't tolerating her meds well and now she is having break through seizures. I am afraid more poison meds will do lasting damage, but like you said alafornia the decision is not up to me.I just wish the U.S.federal government would get their heads out of their ass, and quit taking money from the lobbyists. I am new this forum so please excuse me if I'm not following protocol.

Thanks backlipslide and alafornia,I will read the links and appreciate all feedback.The thing that is very concerning about my niece is that she isn't tolerating her meds well and now she is having break through seizures. I am afraid more poison meds will do lasting damage, but like you said alafornia the decision is not up to me.I just wish the U.S.federal government would get their heads out of their ass, and quit taking money from the lobbyists. I am new this forum so please excuse me if I'm not following protocol.

Pretty sure there isn't a soul here who does not agree with your assessment of the federal government.

I hate that she is having problems and seizures. That may allow the opportunity to broach the subject but if they are anything like I was before becoming desperate then they will likely dismiss the suggestion. CBD is becoming much more widely accepted, though, so who knows? Perhaps suggest they discuss it with the neurologist.

I am on vacation for a couple of weeks, I am planning on doing a lot of thinking this through and writing down some thoughts. Will be doing a lot of praying to, will be starting a round of radiation when I get back

I am looking for ideas of how to talk to her parents about the benefits and overcoming the stigma involved.

Well... you could print up a list of all the possible side-effects from the various anti-epileptic drugs, then on another sheet of paper, write:
Cannabis
--------------
Eating more than usual
Falling asleep earlier than usual

...because that's about it. Unless you count "being in a better mood" as a side-effect, I suppose. Also, you could point out that people taking the prescription anti-epileptics often have to be careful, because even with them, people sometimes still have the occasional (or possibly more than occasional) seizure - while cannabis may be more effective at preventing them altogether. Although it must be said that there are several possible causes of this kind of thing (some of them still not really understood), and therefore, that it's somewhat of a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. But there's a high enough chance that the poor kid could end up having "just a normal childhood" (for what time is left of it) through the judicious use of cannabis that it'd be worth trying, IMHO, and it's not like she'd end up having to be prescribed yet another pill or two just to counteract the side-effects.

Also that her parents can grow their own cannabis, but they can't grow a closet full of pills ;) . . . .

Back
Top Bottom