150 watt hps useable?

CharlieMopps

I saw a 150 watt hps bulb online the other day that would screw into a regular light socket. It wasn't all that expensive either. Somebody said that a regular socket wouldn't be able to handle it. I don't understand this. What part of the socket wouldn't be able to handle the power? If it's the wires, could't you just replace them with a larger guage?
HPS 150 Watt Medium Base: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc.

Re: 150 watt hps useable???

I dont think you should do that, Its a risk of a fire

I'm just thinking if I can use hps without having to spend big bucks, it'd be nice. Why would they make it for use with a medium base and no medium base could handle it? They'd never sell any. Are there different heavy duty medium sockets that you can buy at home depot?

You can't just plug that in to a normal socket, hps needs a balast to convert to the proper voltage.

This guy is right. Just because it has a more common size socket does not mean it can just be screwed in and turned on. It will blow right away. You still need a ballast to provide the proper energy output.

A 150W Medium Base HPS Lamp Operates on S55 HPS ballast

bulb $8.90

ANSI Code: S55 ballast would be about $30 (thats just the guts) not including enclosure.

If your not an electrician I would suggest that you don't try to build your own HID light. It can be very dangerous and a serious fire hazard.

My friends built their own 400w HPS setup for around 30 bucks, all you need to do is a little research before you start messing around with the wires. If you know some one who is knowledgeable about electricity it helps but you can find all the information you need out there to properly build your own light setup.

Or

You can spend $ 100 online and buy a 400w HPS system.

Back
Top Bottom