18/6 vs 24/0: The Science

That last pic was 75 days now 100+ days here. She got a little fatter.

Eyyo. Interesting thread ya got. Did a little searching myself and discovered this ;

Currently trending is the new 6-2 alternative vegetative growth lighting schedule. Three of these light-dark cycles per 24-hour period means the cannabis plant receives the same total 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness as a conventional 18-6. Moreover, this is a viable option as photoperiod cannabis needs a continuous 12 hours of darkness to bloom. The thinking being, those brief 2-hour intervals of darkness give the plant a chance to rest and process CO₂ more effectively. Also, 6-2 avoids light saturation and is potentially a more effective light-dark cycle for photosynthesis.

Man this is really helpful. I have one of those buddies that insist that they will take longer to start flowering when you do switch light times. I have a science project going. I will keep you posted with my results.

Eyyo. Interesting thread ya got. Did a little searching myself and discovered this ;

Currently trending is the new 6-2 alternative vegetative growth lighting schedule. Three of these light-dark cycles per 24-hour period means the cannabis plant receives the same total 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness as a conventional 18-6. Moreover, this is a viable option as photoperiod cannabis needs a continuous 12 hours of darkness to bloom. The thinking being, those brief 2-hour intervals of darkness give the plant a chance to rest and process CO₂ more effectively. Also, 6-2 avoids light saturation and is potentially a more effective light-dark cycle for photosynthesis.
That is very interesting as well I wish I had enough space and extra lights to try all of these methods.

So with this in mind is it really necessary to vent a sealed C02 injected room every night like most people do? I'm setting one up now and after reading this I am planning on trying without venting it and see how it goes. Im thinking of just having the c02 change to a more natural level during their nighttime or turn off completely instead of sucking in a fresh room of air when the lights turn off. It would be awesome to not have to cut a couple holes in my wall and suck in unconditioned air even if its only once a day, the outside air isn't very MJ friendly where I live...

Thoughts?

Thanks! :passitleft:

So with this in mind is it really necessary to vent a sealed C02 injected room every night like most people do? I'm setting one up now and after reading this I am planning on trying without venting it and see how it goes. Im thinking of just having the c02 change to a more natural level during their nighttime or turn off completely instead of sucking in a fresh room of air when the lights turn off. It would be awesome to not have to cut a couple holes in my wall and suck in unconditioned air even if its only once a day, the outside air isn't very MJ friendly where I live...

Thoughts?

Thanks! :passitleft:

damn, i've been using c02 in my veg tent for about 2 weeks now and it's been sealed the entire time lol. maybe it's why they seem to be growing slower than they should... Thank you!

Makes me wonder if 24 hour lights on would be better in this case.

How much co2 and lights do you run and from the sounds of it not venting is possibly not ideal? Could you post some pictures of them and their age if possible? Feel free to take them to my build thread in my sig so we don’t hijack this one to hard :)

Edit I found your journal nm :) :passitleft:

one of the main benefits of being able to run light 24/0 from what i can see is not having to worry about the variation between lights on / off RT and RH. you'd be able to set it and forget it much easier.

My first grow was 18/24 and now I am doing 24/0 for veg. In my opinion it grew at a faster rate, not vertically but horizon. I got tighter node spacing ending in a shorter/bushier plant. I feel like the dark period cause them to stretch more in search of light in darkness IMO, hence the stretch when we go to 12/12.

(Actual Results May Very)

Cannabis doesn’t stretch for light in darkness. The plants respire. During periods of light photosynthesis occurs, during darkness, respiration. This is old bio 101. Daytime produce oxygen, nighttime they consume it. Darkness is one aspect of the plant “ breathing” cycle.

We used 24 hour veg cycles with hydro because we feed oxygen directly to the water that constantly feeds the plant.

Back
Top Bottom