1st attempt at DWC hydro but

I have been wondering about net pot size. Does size really matter as long as roots can pass through and pot can support weight or plant. I figure as long as you have the right water and nutes- size doesn't really matter. Just wondering.

Sent from mikeytv

I'm also using general hydroponics flora series master kit my over ppm is 650-700 so that's not for off o my setup now the ph seams right on only strange thing is your ppm going up usually they go down how often do u have to replace water I'm going through a gallon every 4 days have u tries rapid rooter by general hydroponics it really helped me through my first half of my grow

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have not had to top off yet. Maybe that's why they are more fully developing their roots. Where would be optimal distance to pot if roots are fully developed?

Sent from mikeytv

I have some powder rapid rooter. Could that work? Also, should I even if the girls are getting on track.

Regarding ppm- possible I wasn't fully in the water on first test. I will keep track on this but I'm not worried since plants look healthier every day.

Sent from mikeytv

Rock wool is tricky because it holds moisture to wet and it will damp your plant in half to dry and dead also I like to keep tops dry and bottoms moist by allowing the air pump to kinda splash the bottom of the net pot and I also use hydrotin Clay it also acts as a wick and it pulls the splashing to my rockwool but ph is really impotent I tend to start at the 5.8 mark then over a week it drifts to 6.2 then it's Rez change time I start with reverse osmosis water add all my mixes micro first always. Hope u know that after my 3 parts I do cal-mag then the rest of my additives and a sprinkle of great white and I haven't hade a issue so far

Once she is really healthy it will kick off well from my experience a sick plant won't do anything u want of it till she is better but as I always say a happy plant starts at the roots good luck keep me posted and yes powdered will work and I use root hormone through out the whole grow except for flush. Your roots can't ever b to healthy

Ok, have some updates.
Temps around 74.
Ph is at or under 6. I have the color chart but it's good and under control. Seems I only have to adjust maybe 3 days.
Roots are thriving but I'm not really loosing much or any noticeable water but maybe it's just not long enough. I have one plant that has one single root. Not seeing much of anything happen but she is strong or a one root, been through the ringer, girl.
I also have a basil plant in there. Is that ok? Really like basil!
So, all but one roots are thriving. Ppm is around 700 tested after adding a little so seems plants are using them.
bef2f2850d0a55e62a52880dd8dd181f.jpg

That's single toothed Sadie- she is the one with the one single root. But she is improving everyday and I'm hopeful time will turn her around.

89184c4eebea61577d56acd87a4c4b75.jpg

6710a9be9b6643d0889892d300868f91.jpg
802ea3f94fa7e2d911c0aaa737c2b41e.jpg

Just pics of overall and the top back left, top right and bottom right.
All really growing fast but here is questions.
One is still pushing out pistils. She is a clone but the others seems to officially have switched back to veg.
As you van see they are mostly if not all clones- have to check again! Lol
So I'm trying to keep them bent over and branch stressed but I'm not guessing you can really manifold a clone because of its grow pattern of zig zagging buds. Any suggestions on pruning and mainlining would be appreciated. I also fimmed a little.

Thanks!

Sent from mikeytv

They sure are looking much better.

At this point I would just maintain what your doing for another week and let them really take hold.

They should start to fill in and start to drink a little more over the next week.

Wow looking really good from last week keep it up And b4 u know it they will b huge

Thanks you guys. They have improved. I have to get a couple shots of the roots. Very major improvement in just a few days in regards to the roots.
So, any suggestions on pruning and maximizing yield. It's not my only goal (for my first dwc) but Still would like to see how much I can yield. I was wondering if they could complete flower as they are positioned- 5 in a ten gallon tote- if I can maintain nutes and levels and all that. Will roots simply run out of space? Or better would it be best to move to 5 gallon buckets dwc or 5 Gallon fabric pots with soil or coco. I know I have time, just thinking ahead.

Sent from mikeytv

If it was me I would move then to 5gal DWC buckets. They are going to get very crowded very fast the way you have them.

But a lot has to do with how much room you have and what you have for lights.

I pull between 8 and 16 oz's off my buckets these days.

When I started out I was happy with 4 per bucket.

I do love the buckets. They are very flexible to work with.

If it was me I would move then to 5gal DWC buckets. They are going to get very crowded very fast the way you have them.

But a lot has to do with how much room you have and what you have for lights.

I pull between 8 and 16 oz's off my buckets these days.

When I started out I was happy with 4 per bucket.

I do love the buckets. They are very flexible to work with.

Your average yield- based on dry cured weight or wet from cut? Been trying to get a good idea about this. I'm averaging about 15-25% final weight from cut and pruned wet weight.

Thanks for the advice on the buckets- are the orange Home Depot too light to use?

Sent from mikeytv

That is dry weight of good buds.

I don't weight it anymore. Because I don't sell any.

I got 8 packed quart jars off my last one of dried bud.

My guess would be 1.5 to 2 oz per quart.

I vegged about 5 to 6weeks on it.

Those orange HD buckets are the ones i use. Just have to cover them with something as they let a lot of light through. I use gorilla tape to black them out and then wrap them in cut down windshield reflectors to help cut down on rez temps.
I started out using the 3 in net pots but the weight of the plants bent the lip and 2 plants fell into the rez so for my next go around i just went with the 6 in pot/lid one piece pots and i like them a lot better. The 3 in would work fine, you just have to figure out a way to reinforce the lips if they are a little flimsy. It sucks trying to do it while holding a full grown plant from falling back inside the bucket. lol

I use 6" one piece tops on my buckets too.

They help a lot to hold the plant up and at the same time leave enough room to slide the top over to water.

A lot has to do with how big of a plant you want to grow.

They can get pretty heavy if you grow a good sized one.

With 5gal buckets it makes them easier to move around if needed.

Thank you guys for all the info. I'm going to use these totes for my greens (lettuce and other greens) and move over to the 5 gallon buckets for the next go around.

I finally got a couple pics of the roots. Notice the one in middle with her single root hanging out. She is very slow to grow but all plants are about same age- again- mostly cutting from a flowered plant (I know!). They have been in veg for weeks- been stressed from all my previous problems with hydro them putting them back in soil them back to water. So they have been through hell. Wondering how much longer I should veg before switching.
321c641afb7da2906b6b705182b4d511.jpg
a48bbc1abf2f59bcf323eb135b34a1dc.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

The roots are looking good and should really start to take off now.

With the size of tot and how many you have in there.

I would veg for about two more weeks if it was me.

There should be a lot of change over the next week and should give you a better idea of when to switch over.

Those orange HD buckets are the ones i use. Just have to cover them with something as they let a lot of light through. I use gorilla tape to black them out and then wrap them in cut down windshield reflectors to help cut down on rez temps.
I started out using the 3 in net pots but the weight of the plants bent the lip and 2 plants fell into the rez so for my next go around i just went with the 6 in pot/lid one piece pots and i like them a lot better. The 3 in would work fine, you just have to figure out a way to reinforce the lips if they are a little flimsy. It sucks trying to do it while holding a full grown plant from falling back inside the bucket. lol

Zip ties Drill little holes around your lid and net pot and zip tie them together works like a dream I was in your position lost a whole plant through the lid due to weight but not anymore

I use 6" one piece tops on my buckets too.

They help a lot to hold the plant up and at the same time leave enough room to slide the top over to water.

A lot has to do with how big of a plant you want to grow.

They can get pretty heavy if you grow a good sized one.

With 5gal buckets it makes them easier to move around if needed.

Ditto on the six inch baskets. Two of my girls are 52 inches, if I tried to use a 3" or 10" basket there wouldn't be enough strength with one, and the other doesn't get out of its own way to do any reservoir maint.

Back
Top Bottom