1st Grow - CKS Revolver Auto CFL Closet Grow

RoyMoss1987

Hello everyone! This is my first journal and first grow. This has been a learning experience for me, and throughout the journal you will see that I have made several changes along the way correcting issues I overlooked at the start.

I am growing a single plant, an auto strain from CKS named Revolver (White Widow x NYC Diesel).

I germed, I planted, and it popped up on May 16th.

Im growing in a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and sides near the bottom. It is 2/3 filled with FoxFarm Ocean Forest (in hindsight I should've just filled it all the way). I hadn't used any nutes until week 4 and I used Espoma Organic Grow! at 2/3 strength. I have fed once a week until this week when I watered with clean ph'd water. I will add bloom nutes (also Espoma) next week.

I started the grow with the same grow medium and 5 gallon bucket. I was trying to avoid transplanting since it's an auto. I've since read that transplanting at least once is better for the root system so on my next grow I will transplant.

At the start of the grow I was just using a single 27 watt cheapo LED flood light type grow light. It was about 8 inches away, which is way too close for an LED. I found that out a little later than I would've liked, so I changed over to CFLs around 2 weeks into the grow. I have been running my lights 20/4, with my lights out in the evening (this is a stealth grow since my house is being remodeled by my father in law and he does not approve). I changed it to 18/6 around week 4 of veg and added several more lights so I had a total of 6 23 Watt 65K cfls.

Everything was going smoothly growing out in my garage until we had a heat wave around week 3. My self-made grow cabinet (32H x 18W x 21D) got up to 120 on the worst day with 7 23W 65K CFL going about 6 inches from the top of the plant. I did have a fan in the cabinet, but all it was doing was moving hot air. I couldn't do anything about it until week 4 when I moved the cabinet into my closet in the house. I have kept it between 70-80 with 45-60% humidity since then. I went down to just 4 23W bulbs and raised them another 6 inches, as well as installing a small fan that blows air just over the bucket and just under the lights along with a fan outside the cabinet pulling cold air in and circulating the air in the closet. Around week 6 I finally was able to install an exhaust fan to pull the hot air out of the box. Temps have been perfect ever since and I was able to get the lights back to about 4 inches away without losing control of my heat.

Around the same time that I moved my grow box into the house I found out I have been over watering. I have been weighing everything to ensure I only water when dry since week 4, and she seems to be recovering well now.

I just switched to 6 27k cfls yesterday and I will be adding bloom nutes next time I need to water.

I will add pictures in the next post.

This was her at 1 month old (June 16th)
420-magazine-mobile1458971379.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1375303700.jpg

2 weeks later (June 28th)

420-magazine-mobile688600330.jpg

420-magazine-mobile991286810.jpg

Yesterday (July 6th)

420-magazine-mobile532967194.jpg

You can see in the early pictures the heat, not ph'ing water, overwatering, and keeping my lights too far away caused some issues.

Luckily I have since corrected those mistakes and she is looking much better today.

I forgot to add the training I have done.

This is what I was going for:
420-magazine-mobile770928343.jpg

I don't remember what day I first tied her down, but I think it was around week 2 or 3. She bent right over and started growing sideways like I wanted.

In the 2 week later picture I had just tied her down the second time. You can kind of see where I first tied down and then the second tie down is obvious too.

420-magazine-mobile2043433232.jpg

Then I did 2 tie downs last week.

420-magazine-mobile259542804.jpg

I admittedly do not know what I'm doing, but hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistakes, like I have, but without having to deal with the repercussions I've encountered.

Update time:

I was doing some defoliation today. I had several leaves blocking the new bud sites, so I trimmed those off and took off some bottom leaves that were dying.

I had an unfortunate mishap while trimming up and broke off to side branches. In the picture above, both branches I have circled (3 and 4) broke off the main trunk. Branch 3 was lost, but I was able to get a bandaid around 4. We will see what happens.

If anyone reading can help me figure out a couple of things, I would greatly appreciate it.

First: Due to prolonged exposure to heat, do you think the growth is stunted?

Second: If it isn't stunted, when is the stretch going to start?

If anyone reading can help me figure out a couple of things, I would greatly appreciate it.

First: Due to prolonged exposure to heat, do you think the growth is stunted?

Second: If it isn't stunted, when is the stretch going to start?

Hey man I'll try and help if I can. I also grow, currently, as you did Ina hot ass garage and I'm in hydro on one grow. You wanna see some major fuckups? Check my first grow out haha it's embarrassing. Semper Fi by the way.

Anyways, I got a couple autos started life in hydro. Know how you shouldn't transplant auto? Well I did anyways. The day I put them in soil I also failed to harden them off better. Point is they stunted. Right about the time they started to bounce back, they started to show their lady parts. I have one successful harvest under my belt and have witnessed a healthy-ish plant stretch. What that looked like was not even remotely close to what my autos are doing right now.

Long story short, they may not stretch. That doesn't mean that you won't get a nice couple buds off it. It's a learning moment. I wish I could move my grow indoors. I'd kill for stable temps in my cabinet!

Semper Fi! Moving it into my closet has helped so much. Just out of curiosity, what week did you see the healthy-ish stretch? I need to add the bloom nutes, but don't know when.

That makes me feel a bit better lol, thanks. I'm glad I'll at least get a little off her. I don't expect much, but I at least want to try my own.

I have a seed that just germed, but I won't plant until tomorrow. I'm hoping everything I've learned on this grow will give me a good harvest on this next one.

Hey man I'll try and help if I can. I also grow, currently, as you did Ina hot ass garage and I'm in hydro on one grow. You wanna see some major fuckups? Check my first grow out haha it's embarrassing. Semper Fi by the way.

Anyways, I got a couple autos started life in hydro. Know how you shouldn't transplant auto? Well I did anyways. The day I put them in soil I also failed to harden them off better. Point is they stunted. Right about the time they started to bounce back, they started to show their lady parts. I have one successful harvest under my belt and have witnessed a healthy-ish plant stretch. What that looked like was not even remotely close to what my autos are doing right now.

Long story short, they may not stretch. That doesn't mean that you won't get a nice couple buds off it. It's a learning moment. I wish I could move my grow indoors. I'd kill for stable temps in my cabinet!
Also, I was planning on doing a transplant on my next plant, but you said your transplant did not work? Would you say not to transplant?

Here she is today, after my unnecessarily rough defol yesterday.

420-magazine-mobile928032034.jpg

420-magazine-mobile441576516.jpg

I tried to bandaid her after ripping off a branch...it was not successful.

Semper Fi! Moving it into my closet has helped so much. Just out of curiosity, what week did you see the healthy-ish stretch? I need to add the bloom nutes, but don't know when.

That makes me feel a bit better lol, thanks. I'm glad I'll at least get a little off her. I don't expect much, but I at least want to try my own.

I have a seed that just germed, but I won't plant until tomorrow. I'm hoping everything I've learned on this grow will give me a good harvest on this next one.

Okay so the stretch happens when a healthy plant in veg mode starts to flower. This happens in the first 1-2 weeks after flowering starts(autos) or is induced(photos). Most nutrient schedules call for at least a little bloom nutrients even in veg. Typically, you switch from heavier nitrogen numbers in veg to heavier phosphorus numbers in bloom. Your nutrient manufacturer should have some guidance on that. What are you using?

Your gonna get some smokable herb off the plant and your gonna be pumped as hell to grow the next one even better. Your experience during this grow can only help your next!

Also, I was planning on doing a transplant on my next plant, but you said your transplant did not work? Would you say not to transplant?

Well, I won't say it can't be done! I knew the rules and I tried it anyways. You know what I'm gonna go grab some photos and show you what happened. My eff up can entertain you during breakfast today haha!

Well, I won't say it can't be done! I knew the rules and I tried it anyways. You know what I'm gonna go grab some photos and show you what happened. My eff up can entertain you during breakfast today haha!
Lol, sounds good. I'm definitely going to try to just do one transplant and see how it goes. Tending to the roots makes sense to me.

Alright
420-magazine-mobile1338977164.jpg
This is Hope, she lives in dwc hydro reservoir. Her sisters don't deserve a name lol, but they started life the exact same way and day.
420-magazine-mobile686764798.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2057108543.jpg
okay this gal is okay but she is stunted she'll produce something through. Same for this one:
420-magazine-mobile1851091864.jpg
420-magazine-mobile43299953.jpg

Not sure if this helps but you can see thes structure is different on these transplants and the one that has been left alone.
Plenty of people transplant autos successfully but there's a little risk factor there. The safest thing is you can start in a solo cup and move it to the bigger container before the roots touch the walls of the solo cup. That's too much monitoring for me, personally.

Couple more photos to make you feel more at ease man. This was my first ❤️haha. She finished about a month ago. She finished fine and dandy.
420-magazine-mobile1061296749.jpg
Veg mode I beat the hell outta this lady. Broken stems and all that, sound familiar?
420-magazine-mobile1748767162.jpg
She finished quite stunted. But quite smokeable.

You got this!

Couple more photos to make you feel more at ease man. This was my first ❤️haha. She finished about a month ago. She finished fine and dandy.
420-magazine-mobile1061296749.jpg
Veg mode I beat the hell outta this lady. Broken stems and all that, sound familiar?
420-magazine-mobile1748767162.jpg
She finished quite stunted. But quite smokeable.

You got this!
How old are those first plants?

That last one looks pretty good. Did you train it?

No training really I figured they have lived a hard life already plus I've never let one grow all naturalllllleee hehe. They are all Day 31 today!

Check out this thread
Auto Growers Unite - A Community Thread

Lots of good info!

See, the challenge with autos is you have to get from seed to flower with as few issues as possible to really get them to produce. A lot of new growers don't realize this and see autos as another term for easy. It isn't. Photoperiod plants are more flexible in that you only flip when you are happy with the training and health and height of your plant.

No training really I figured they have lived a hard life already plus I've never let one grow all naturalllllleee hehe. They are all Day 31 today!

Check out this thread

Lots of good info!

See, the challenge with autos is you have to get from seed to flower with as few issues as possible to really get them to produce. A lot of new growers don't realize this and see autos as another term for easy. It isn't. Photoperiod plants are more flexible in that you only flip when you are happy with the training and health and height of your plant.
Yeah, I have a few photo seeds, but since my box is homemade, it sucks. Lol, I couldn't keep light from coming in which would prevent me from flowering. I gotta wait until I can get a tent. Unfortunately, my father-in-law is here like 3 days a week, and would not approve.

I'm pulling up a chair.

Yup, wish I fully realized that before I started with autos for my on going first attempt, that said I sort of inherently knew that I'd have less time to fix problems, but at the same time was also so worried about uncertainly of my tent and overall environment setup that I figured for a first ever grow not having to be as concerned with the light timing and darkness problems or slip ups outweighed other disadvantages. I don't regret the decision, yet, but I definitely see as more a 50/50 thing in my mind vs 65\35 i first did. l

Back
Top Bottom