1st Grow in 30 yrs 12/12 HPS from Seed

It's why I usually quote 75 days for 12/12. 60 is on the tight end of the fast flowering indica, and 90 days for the sativa bitches.

Hi Boss,
I agree 100% boss, I figure about 75 to 85 days for MK_04 (formally known as UNK 04) all depends on what the Trichome's tell me.

4/28/08 (day 67 on count)

Took updated photo’s today, Ok, the way I grew these plants in the 18 gallon container and other variables has impeded growth on most of the plants. So, they are going to take longer to mature.

UNK 04 has 25% red hairs and white to cloudy trichomes all over the lower cola’s. She should be right on for the time line of about 75 days from seed.

Main cola, about 10" high:

UNK_04-main-cola.jpg

Right below the main cola

UNK_04-4-28.jpg

To the left of the main cola

left-buds.jpg

To the right of the main cola

right-buds.jpg

Another shot right of the main cola

right-buds1.jpg

Random

buds4-28.jpg

:yummy:

Hell yeah! Now we are cooking with gas!

looking great old school good grow to shake the dust off with!
ladys are coming along nicely

Budd, Boss, Be IRIE, Bare, Herb fellow and shaggie,

Gentlemen, I am humbled by your generous words :bigblush:

If it wasn't for this great forum and the fantastic brothers and sisters here I don't think I would have tried again. Everyone of you deserve a round of applause and a big THANK YOU for your skills and support. :clap:

~Lessons learned:

1. When the statement was said: "This proves you don't need a veg. period . Plants over 40 inches tall are not suited for indoor growing because the light will never penetrate that far." I mistakenly took it that growing this way the veg time was eliminated, obviously it is not!
Growing 12/12 HPS from seed the veg period still happens just at an accelerated rate. The plant just incorporates it into the grow period at short spurts a day or two at a time. In saying that; it still takes close if not the full vegetative + flower time to reach the end of the grow (I.E. 2-4 weeks veg, 8-9 weeks flower).

2. Growing multiple plants in one container.

A. Makes it very hard to control any grow issues that pop up. for example: lockup or other nute issues, (I have to flush the whole container)

B. Space concerns: the plants seem to correct this issue the best they can by trying to grow out in the space it has but the poor things are getting crowded out by each other, this will definitely impede the full yield potential from some of the plants.

C. Plants grow at their own pace and being in one container does not give me the opportunity to correct any uneven canopy issues.

D. Basically growing in one container is like growing outdoors, I am limited on the care I can give the individual plants compared to what I could do with separate containers.

3. Growing under a 400W HPS horticultural makes the plants growth noticeable every day, I can actually take photo's and see the physical changes taking place. :yummy:

A. My current experience growing 12/12 from seed with an HPS light has shown me that yes it cost a little more in electricity while they are still seedlings, but they LOVE IT! The plants grow tight internodes and even when they go through their final stretch period the flower growth for the most part fills in the blank areas, then tons of pistil growth for what I have been seeing and feeling is some nice colas.

4. In my case I'm seeing the use of a 400W HPS horticultural with 30% more blue light and 55,000 lumen's is more than adequate light spectrum's for vegetative + flower periods. My plants currently average anywhere between 3 and 4 feet in height.

A. Though this type of grow was to produce ONE main cola, the plants will do what they want when you let them just like an old time outdoor grow.

5. Though there is always a percentage of fluff, I believe now-a-days it is called popcorn bud. When I see any strong potential lower cola's I try make sure they get what they need. I either move, bend or pull the leaves that inhibited them getting to the light at the canopy.

A. When I see that a lower branch that is too far from the light canopy just like in the old days, I do this during the beginning of the light period for the day! I grab it where it meets the main stock and I cut it off. I Just don't go nuts; I do a maximum of 1 to 2 lower branches per plant until they recover. I have done this in the past and present grows and it seems to work well.

~END

I hope by doing this journal it is contributing to the growing community by reading about this variation of growing and it's unique attributes. I know it been has been an excellent learning experience for me so far! :clap:

:peace:

Old Skool

I don't understand how you can think a 12/12 grow from seed needs the same time as a regular grow, it's simply not the case. 75 days is a good average. Most "regular" grows are at least 30 days in veg then 90 days in flowering. That's 4 months vs 2 1/2.

One of the reasons I reccomend cutting off the 2 bottom nodes is to keep the buds on the main stalk, and eliminate those popcorn buds on the sides at the bottom.

Great points you made there, Thanks!

I don't understand how you can think a 12/12 grow from seed needs the same time as a regular grow, it's simply not the case. 75 days is a good average. Most "regular" grows are at least 30 days in veg then 90 days in flowering. That's 4 months vs 2 1/2.

WOW, 4 months?? No, I didn't know that it takes that long to do an indoor grow so, even if my current grow is 12 weeks I am still a full month ahead of the "regular" grow. "Cool"

One of the reasons I recommend cutting off the 2 bottom nodes is to keep the buds on the main stalk, and eliminate those popcorn buds on the sides at the bottom.

Great points you made there, Thanks!

Gotcha now Boss,
That makes perfect sense I just couldn't equate what the h*ll popcorn buds were. LOL

Thank you for your compliment :)

Is this grow still alive?
If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates…

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

04-07-2009
Sorry for the time lapse in the update, I got sick and had to be operated on. I am physically recovering now.

Final tally of the journal was:
SK#1 is 2ft 3", SK#2 is 4ft, UNK 03 is 3ft 6", UNK 04 3ft 6" and UNK 09 is 3ft 2",

Out of the Skunk (SK#) plants I got a ¼ lb dried.
Out of the Marco Skunk (UNK#) plants I got a ¼ lb dried
Total of ½ lb dried

SK#2 shocked me and went 48" I came home to a monster that grew into the light and made it halfway along the light housing. I would have never got a total weight that high for the Skunk except for SK#2 growing like that.

Sorry no pictures, but I had to have family help me through harvest and drying. The ½ lb is gone except for the dregs. But, it sustained me well.

I give a BIG :thanks: to all the brothers here that helped me with the grow. I learned a lot and I had the opportunity to hone in on my past experiences.

Old Skool
:peace:

Hey old_skool,

Google brought me here!
Hell of a coincidence, I havent raised a crop in 30 yrs, but will be direct seeding to a 5' x 5'x 16" soilbed tonight (1000w hps). I got the idea from Atmosphere's 12/12 thread too.
~the kids are grown YAAY~
I guess old school growers think alike!
I really appreciate this thread. I hope your health is better!
Best to yah, doob

P.S. give me a holler if you want to see my crop when things get going.

Back
Top Bottom