1st Grow - Indoor Northern Lights Auto

lol exactly. My first cut wasn't low enough, but I had to wait a week to find out lol. I was hoping to help you out before you had to wait a week to see.

Yeah, thanks for everything, I don't know where I would be without your help now ^^ You're amazing!

This is what my FIM looked like (Click for a larger image):

Now this was my second try, as the first wasn't cut low enough, and just sprouted all the leaves back again. This one might have been a little too low because I didn't see all the extra branches sprouting where they were supposed to. From now on I plan to just use topping, since it's much easier. But I do plan to give a FIM another try in the future when I have more experience.

Without me, one of the other great people here would have helped you :) But thank you!

This is what my FIM looked like (Click for a larger image):

Now this was my second try, as the first wasn't cut low enough, and just sprouted all the leaves back again. This one might have been a little too low because I didn't see all the extra branches sprouting where they were supposed to. From now on I plan to just use topping, since it's much easier. But I do plan to give a FIM another try in the future when I have more experience.

Without me, one of the other great people here would have helped you :) But thank you!

Hey, I thought I would give an update today. It's day 26. (Honestly I put the day most of the time so even myself can go back and check how my plant was ^^ Should be really helpful for the second grow.)

So I'm thinking about watering her again, it's actually been 5 days since I've watered it, the pot now feels lighter, I think I'm getting the "just pick up the pot and get a feel for it" thing. Also I put my finger on the compost and it feel dry so time to water her.

Anyway, looking back at the pictures of just 5 days ago I can really see how she's been growing a lot, at least for me, can't wait to get her the nutes, should buy those in about 3 to 5 days, I'm going to be about a week late of those :/ Also should get another 2 lights at the same time.

I think she looks pretty healthy, and considering that I've had to deal with a little bit of pests, without any chemicals, just carefully catching the bugs and searching the plant for eggs and stuff like that to make sure that doesn't become a huge problem, also no PH meter, no temperature or humidity monitor, and still no nutes to this day, I think I'm even getting a bit lucky.

Some photos were taken by my partner (I'm a bit oversensitive about my hands and didn't have my nails fixed):
WP_000155.jpg
WP_0001571.jpg
WP_000160.jpg
WP_000158.jpg

The first two little leafs are now slowly dying:

WP_000156.jpg

Also here's the FIM, I think I failed, but at least she's growing something in there, so with time I think I'll be able to count how many tops I got from it:

WP_000159.jpg

To finish here's my cat being all curious trying to see what we were doing:

WP_000161.jpg

Hey, I thought I would give an update today. It's day 26. (Honestly I put the day most of the time so even myself can go back and check how my plant was ^^ Should be really helpful for the second grow.)

So I'm thinking about watering her again, it's actually been 5 days since I've watered it, the pot now feels lighter, I think I'm getting the "just pick up the pot and get a feel for it" thing. Also I put my finger on the compost and it feel dry so time to water her.

Anyway, looking back at the pictures of just 5 days ago I can really see how she's been growing a lot, at least for me, can't wait to get her the nutes, should buy those in about 3 to 5 days, I'm going to be about a week late of those :/ Also should get another 2 lights at the same time.

I think she looks pretty healthy, and considering that I've had to deal with a little bit of pests, without any chemicals, just carefully catching the bugs and searching the plant for eggs and stuff like that to make sure that doesn't become a huge problem, also no PH meter, no temperature or humidity monitor, and still no nutes to this day, I think I'm even getting a bit lucky.

Some photos were taken by my partner (I'm a bit oversensitive about my hands and didn't have my nails fixed):

Also here's the FIM, I think I failed, but at least she's growing something in there, so with time I think I'll be able to count how many tops I got from it

Yes, adding day stamps helps. Even if you do them sometimes, it's easy to count up a few days, but it sucks counting a few months.

The pot lifting method is simple, and used by most successful growers out there. I figured if it works for them, It'll work for me.

Pictures make it easy to see the progress. That's another way these journals help the grower out. If you're a little late on nutes it won't be bad, the first thing you'll usually see is leaves at the bottom of the plant start to yellow. If your PH is good, that means it's likely a Nitrogen deficiency.

Luck helps, but just don't rely on it. Practice with the right tools will make every grow you do after this better and better. You're going to harvest your second grow, and look back at this one to compare yield, and the things you did on each grow.

Nobody came here to look at someone's hands lol.

And I screwed my FIM up too. The first wasn't cut low enough, and the scond ended up as a Topping on one plant, and the other had 3 tops, but then 2 extra grew, but very slowly. I'm going to just top from now on, it's easier for me. I'll try FIM again when I get better :).

Day 30 Update

Me and my partner drilled some holes on the sides of the pot, and I did the LST I don't really know if it's any good but this is how it is now, also the plant grew, the new stems really grew fast trying to reach the light, I think the LST also creates a bit more light penetration:

WP_000170.jpg
WP_000171.jpg

The things that I used to do the LST are plastic ribbons that I made cutting a plastic bag :p

WP_000173.jpg

For a first grow, your plant looks gorgeous. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the support.

The plant does look mostly healthy, though there are a few things that I've kept an eye on and aren't going away so I'll post some photos now:

WP_0001761.jpg

Only this leaf presents this.

WP_000175.jpg

Only this leaves are like this. You can see on leaf in the background that has some yellowing but that was white little flies or fungus gnats, I inspect the plant everyday to search for more but I just kill the ones I find, over the last 2 weeks there were about 5 to 7 bugs. I have found a contact insecticide that wont harm the plant and I'll buy it if I need to but I don't think I really need to use chemicals to deal with this problem yet.

I have seen no signs of these problems spreading to other leaves so I thought it was just an isolated incident. The leaves that are a little curled down were light under a big leaf that probably was blocking most of the light and also releasing lots of Oxygen and didn't let any CO2 reach it, so maybe it's that? the One on the other side of the stem is looking great so I don't think there's much of an issue.

The one on the first picture though, presents some things that I don't really know how to interpret. They've been like that for about 3 days, they haven't gotten worse, these leaves were also under another big leaf.

I think that now because the whole plant can breathe better and has more light penetration there wont be any more problems like this I'm just not sure what they are. If there was some PH variation from the last watering the signals would be appearing on all the leafs by now right? And I don't use tap water, I use water that we buy from the supermarket that has a PH of 6 +/- 0.1, it's natural water, it has minerals. Looking at the package it has Ca2+ 1.2mg Na+ 4.5. K+ 0.26 Mg2+ 0.38 and HCO3- 10.1, these are miligrams per litter, the + or - has to do with the ions that have either a positive or negative charge from what I've read about this. Anyway, it's water and has a reasonable ph I think, though I would be more confortable if the water had a ph of 6.5, but the rest of the plant like you saw is fine, I just wanted to check if these are things that I should worry about or if they'll just go away.

I bought 2 new lights today, they're 20w each and 2700k, that makes up for about 86 watts of mixed lights, 2x6500k and 2x2700k.

I also bought the nutes I talked about, the ones for coco. I'll start them on the next feed at about 0.5ml per litter, that's the recommended amount for a plant in coco in the first week, the bottle recommends 2-3ml per litter for a plant in week 5, mine is half way to week 5, but because it's the first time I'm giving her nutes I should go really slow and because the soil seems to be good until now.

So I'm thinking 0.5 now and 1 or 1.2 next feed, in 5 days?

Okay so I messed up, big time x.x I broke off one of the twigs when I was watering/feeding nutes, I did 1.5ml in 2 litters, so 0.725ml/L, that is of each one of the nutes.

Link to the post where me and then Antics replies about nutes

Here's a photo, you can't even tell, it broke off almost completely, I immediately, but gently, put the twig back to its place, it stuck in place and I just checked and the leaves are curling downwards, I think that branch is dead for good... :straightface:

WP_0001821.jpg

WP_0001831.jpg

I'm so stupid... This happened because I didn't want to untie and re-tie all the LSTs x.x I'm so clumsy, I'll be super extra careful next time... :(

Anyway here's photos of the plant and the lights, if only I didn't break the twig I think the plant would have been pretty good for a first grow... What do I do about the broken twig? should I just cut the whole thing out at the beginning of it to see if the plant tries to make new ones? The plant will flower in about 1 to 2 and a half weeks...

WP_000177.jpg
WP_0001801.jpg

^----These two was taken before I broke the twig ----^
WP_000183_2_.jpg

just remember that once flowering is finished your plant is easily going to be 3 to 4 times the size it started don't outgrow your lights . You will end up with all popcorn bud and you don't want that.

just remember that once flowering is finished your plant is easily going to be 3 to 4 times the size it started don't outgrow your lights . You will end up with all popcorn bud and you don't want that.

It's autoflowering so I'm just saying that because it flowers from 5th to 7th week and it's day 32. I don't think I have much say on the growth it gets right?

Thanks for checking out my grow :circle-of-love:

Top pic, not sure what I'm seeing? Only thing I notice is one of the new leaves looks like it might have been bent or pinched. But they don't look bad, they just look like new growth.
Second pic looks like some sort of stress from too much water/not enough water. But odd to see it on only 1 leaf.
Keep an eye on this to see where it goes. But it's likely it was just a small issue as you mentioned since it's only on one leaf.

I'm not sure how fast PH shock would appear, but your plant looks perfectly healthy other than your 2 question places. But even one of those looks normal at this time.

86 watts should give you some nice results! And I love the mixed spectrum growing, cheaper on bulbs too!

See if you can wait a little longer on nutes. I usually don't feed any nutes until at least week 3, but I try to wait for week 4. But the strength to feed them sounds good. It's always best to be cautious until you know your plants strengths and tolerances.

EDIT: Accidents happen, don't worry about it. I've seen worse. Keep the branch tied to where it broke from, and it might repair itself. The plant wilts to conserve energy during this process.

This tip might work for you for watering.. It has worked pretty good for me so far. I have large jugs of water, which are difficult to pour around my plant. So I have a small empty bottle of water, about .5 L size. Take the cap and drill or poke small holes in it. Fill the bottle with your water/nutes, put the cap back on, and aim and squeeze the bottle to water/feed your plant. The bigger the holes, the faster it squirts out. I have holes about 1.5mm so it comes out fast, but not too fast. I still have to squeeze the bottle.

Top pic, not sure what I'm seeing? Only thing I notice is one of the new leaves looks like it might have been bent or pinched. But they don't look bad, they just look like new growth.
Second pic looks like some sort of stress from too much water/not enough water. But odd to see it on only 1 leaf.
Keep an eye on this to see where it goes. But it's likely it was just a small issue as you mentioned since it's only on one leaf.

I'm not sure how fast PH shock would appear, but your plant looks perfectly healthy other than your 2 question places. But even one of those looks normal at this time.

86 watts should give you some nice results! And I love the mixed spectrum growing, cheaper on bulbs too!

See if you can wait a little longer on nutes. I usually don't feed any nutes until at least week 3, but I try to wait for week 4. But the strength to feed them sounds good. It's always best to be cautious until you know your plants strengths and tolerances.

EDIT: Accidents happen, don't worry about it. I've seen worse. Keep the branch tied to where it broke from, and it might repair itself. The plant wilts to conserve energy during this process.

This tip might work for you for watering.. It has worked pretty good for me so far. I have large jugs of water, which are difficult to pour around my plant. So I have a small empty bottle of water, about .5 L size. Take the cap and drill or poke small holes in it. Fill the bottle with your water/nutes, put the cap back on, and aim and squeeze the bottle to water/feed your plant. The bigger the holes, the faster it squirts out. I have holes about 1.5mm so it comes out fast, but not too fast. I still have to squeeze the bottle.

Thanks for the reply :) I hope she can heal itself, I was so sad when I broke it :/ The one leaf that presented over or underwatering signs as recovered a little bit, I'm pretty sure it was underwatering, I waited 5 days before watering the plant and the soil was really really dry.

Now I'll just have to hope that the twig I broke fixes itself and of course, I'll keep a super close eye on the leaves to check for nutrient burn. Thanks for that bottle technique suggestion, I'll try to use that :)

I can't wait for the next 2 weeks, she'll start flowering and it's going to be awesome! Also I'm going to be using that backbuilding thing you did on your Cali Jack I think, to get some fatter buds. Harvesting time will be super bittersweet for me, because for someone that is mostly alone all day in my house she's my little companion along with my cats :green_heart:

It's not guaranteed that she will heal, but it does happen in the right circumstances. If it doesn't heal, this will give more water and nutrients to the other branches, which means more growth.

The backbuilding worked for me, so I'm going to use it again. It has worked for everyone else that used it as far as I know.
Here is the link the the original topic for backbuilding: LA's Quick Guide To Simple Backbuilding Technique For Buds!

Did you get a chance to check out the 420 Contests? You can easily enter your plant into the plant of the month contest, or just your nugs after harvest (must be dry nugs though) into the nug of the month contest. Anyone can enter, but there is a limit of 25 entries for each month. There is also a member of the month contest, but someone has to nominate you for those.
And all winners from the year are automatically entered into the plant of the year, nug of the year, and member of the year contests to be held in January the following year.

It's a fun way to show off your hard work also, since not all growers will see your grow journal, more of them will see your contest entry and come visit your journal to help out!

It's not guaranteed that she will heal, but it does happen in the right circumstances. If it doesn't heal, this will give more water and nutrients to the other branches, which means more growth.

[...]

It's a fun way to show off your hard work also, since not all growers will see your grow journal, more of them will see your contest entry and come visit your journal to help out!

I'll enter on the contest when it opens again! :)

I saw the backbuilding page when I was reading through your journal, it looks pretty simple so I might as well just do it ^^

The branch is super down and it looks completely dead, I guess with the LST it's less of an issue since I can re-arrange the branches to get better growth. Grow and learn I guess ^^

I'll enter on the contest when it opens again! :)

I saw the backbuilding page when I was reading through your journal, it looks pretty simple so I might as well just do it ^^

The branch is super down and it looks completely dead, I guess with the LST it's less of an issue since I can re-arrange the branches to get better growth. Grow and learn I guess ^^

It's my goal to one day grow a nice enough plant to win plant of the month, and I would like to grow nice enough buds to win nug of the month some time also. It's a difficult challenge because of all the amazing growers here at 420 Magazine, but it costs nothing to enter, so each time I have a really good plant or nug I'm going to give it my best try.

Yeah the backbuilding is easier than a FIM, and just as easy as topping. It gave me .41 grams more by doing it. So almost half a gram, which isn't much, but that was only one branch to test it as an experiment. If you cut 10 branches, you might see another 5 grams in the harvest, so it's definitely worth it for little effort from us growers.

When you have time can you take a picture of the branch, and where it is broken without disturbing the break of course. It MIGHT have a chance, but if not, you're absolutely correct. You can use LST to move branches a little, and spread things out and get more light in.

And also be thankful this didn't happen in flower. That kind of stress can increase the risk of getting a hermy. Which itself isn't the end of the world, or your grow, but it makes more work for having to cut off the pollen sacs.

Just keep on going with it, you're still doing really good, and better than my very first grow lol (Which I don't count as my REAL first grow, since both seedlings died lol)

This was my first grow:
ResizedImage_1395530060714.jpg

Classic new grower mistake. I used nutes too early.

Hey, the branch was completely dead, it was hanging on by a little bit of filaments but they dried over the night, so I just cut it, no need for the plant to worry about that anymore, but here's pics:

WP_0001892.jpg

This is how it was, though I might have made a mistake in taking it out, I don't regret it, I was careful to cut only on the dried part of the fillaments, no more blood was spilled and I figured that it was a waste of energy for the plant to try and recover this branch. I rather have other branches growing, in fact there is one being LSTed to the place where this one was, which has a lot of light.

WP_0001912.jpg

WP_0001902.jpg

This leaf has been like this for days, this isn't spreading to other leafs.
WP_0001941.jpg

This is how the FIM looks like now, it's grown and the leafs are a little bit abnormal:
WP_000188.jpg

I don't really know but are these little things the signs of flowering?
WP_0001961.jpg
WP_000195.jpg

Overall she's like this:

WP_000198.jpg

And here's a GIF :D I'm planning on making a metric ton of GIFs on the second grow, it'll be awesome :p I would love to have a camera that could do a time lapse, I would shoot timelapses of the plant breaking ground and convert to GIF and put here but until then this will have to do ^^

gif.gif

That sucks that the branch was dying, but it's always worth a try to see if she can fix it first. (See how easy it is to learn new things all the time when growing? I totally love all the learning constantly lol)

The leaf: Do you mean the light spotting on the left leaf in that picture? Can you get a closer picture of just that leaf?

From a FIM it is NORMAL for the leaves to look abnormal. Those are basically just the parts you cut off that couldn't be repaired before the leaf grew out.

The look like they MIGHT be calyxes, but the picture is hard to tell. Here is a picture I took of one of my plants:
2014-06-24_13-35-13_7401.jpg

The calyx will be an elongated teardrop shape, and will have tiny white hairs coming out of the tip, those are the pistils. The tall green thing you see growing nearby is called a stipule. Male and Female plants both have this part.

That would be really cool to see a GIF of the full grow progress!

Okay, so there's some leafs that have some problems, I ruled them out just on the basis of me using the runoff water and also I had White Flies for a bit.

So these I ruled out as White Flies, this was when I was actively investigating the whole plant and killing everything in sight that could fly or was like a small white thing that seemed like it could be a bug. I would see these spots beginning and getting bigger and then I would see the flies, when they're little you almost can't see them, I haven't found one in about 10 days:

WP_0002081.jpg
WP_000212.jpg
WP_000211.jpg
WP_0002101.jpg
WP_000213.jpg

Now this following picture has a leaf, the one coming for right to leaf pointing south, that has little white things, it's been like that for 5 days at least:
WP_0002093.jpg

The damage on the inner leaf was flies, this was when I caught 4 of them :/
WP_0002072.jpg

But you can see some damage from the tips of the leaf, along with the photo bellow, that shows one badly damaged leaf and the others showing some signs of yellowing at the tips.
WP_000215.jpg
WP_0002141.jpg

But this yellowing at the tips and the following images and my theory for it might be right:
WP_000205.jpg
WP_0002022.jpg

My theory is Ph fluctuation because I used that runoff water, twice :/ The Ph of that runoff water must have been way off and then I watered it properly and all this damage appeared either with the white flies (from the pictures from the top) or the Ph fluctuation from using the runoff water.

None of these has worsen since I gave her nutes, nor have they worsen in the last 4 days, in fact the new leaves grew quite a bit in just one day and they are so green, that... Innocent green that hasn't darkened one little bit and is just working like a bee to get energy to grow even more ^^

I was mostly just trying to get a confirmation, if my research was good then I'm mostly right. Of course there is no way to check the Ph of anything so in the end, what the hell, she's mostly doing fine, let me just be extra careful with the nutes, use backbuilding and if I LST it correctly maybe I'll get close to 15 grams and for next grow I'll do everything the proper way.

Back
Top Bottom