1st Grow - Kingsnake235's - Soil - HID - Hash Plant & Black Indica - 2015

Day 55 - 8th of flower

2 LST's are taking 2L each of water with 2.4mL/L (2tsp=9.6mL/g) each of BioBloom, Bio Heaven, and TopMax for 2.2/2/2.2 every 3-4 days; added 1/2 tbsp epsom salts this time (today) for good measure.

the other 4 are on the same nutes @ 4L/ea but watered yesterday; may add half dose fish mix next watering?

Everything is looking good tho; tallest is 24", lights on right now around 78F 55%RH, raining, so its higher than usual..

Day55-ALL-1.jpg
day55-2.jpg
day55-4.jpg
Day55-ALL-2.jpg
day55-3.jpg

:high-five:

ok; so yesterday after i took the photos i realized i should have a filter over that outdoor air intake, so i did that; may have reduced airflow a bit (which may contribute to whats below)

i also noticed that humidity has been on the rise for a few days; but, it rained the day before last ALL DAY and its raining again now, with a sunny day inbetween, so im sure that has contributed to it.

but.

after noticing how little the plants are moving around now with their size, i added my larger oscillating fan, hanging from the ceiling upside down, and i left it for a while.. came back and humidity in the tent was way up to like 67% from ~50-55%.. so i turned it off and came back.. back down to ~57%.. weird.

anyways, i left both fans on for lights off without the outdoor connection, checked this morning to find 77% RH!! what? shit.

so i just turned it off for a while and checked again after hooking up the OD connection and having the fan off.. 56%RH..

hm.. i did some reading about the "air layer" around plants leaves, and have determined ( i think ) that because my airflow was so low before with only the stationary 4" fan on the floor, that now with the increased airflow the plants are transpiring more than ive been used to?

has anyone else experienced this? from most things ive read, airflow will *decrease* humidity..

I'll be keeping a close eye on things today, and probably wait for a dry day to make any serious changes, as outdoor conditions on weather channel are 43F 93%RH outside today (indoor RH is over 65% currently)

(after 10 minutes of having both fans on just now, the RH is back up to 62% from 56%)

in other news, i think most of the leaf issues i was having have subsided, but it has left me with a slight magnesium(calcium?) deficiency i think ( likely due to the flush ) and again, after some reading, have found similar stories from people using the organic biobizz lineup - even tho their reps say any one who makes nutes without Ca and Mg are idiots - so ill have to go see if i can get some dolomite or a 0-0-0 calmag from the grow shop if another, heavier dose of epsom doesnt clear it up.. anyone use molasses?

no HUGE visuals, but some mild speckling on the leaves that seems to perhaps be climbing the stem a bit higher than the previous issues.. i might take a couple pics later

anyways, thats todays state of the union.
happy friday

:volcano-smiley:

:high-five:

Since you're not heavy into flowering yet, the humidity is fine up around 60-70. It should come down later in flowering when the calyxes are stacking up and there's no possibility of air flow surrounding them. That's when excess humidity can cause molding.

My guess as to why it shoots up when you turned on the other fan is because you have pockets of air that aren't moving as much as they should, the humid air is on a more straight path in and out of your grow space and not mixing well with the air around your sensor.

Personally, I'd say as long as your girls aren't in a serious windstorm, there's no such thing as too much airflow. Crank your fans back on and you've got a few weeks to figure out if you need to get the humidity down further.

Just my opinion, and I'm new as well, so assign appropriate weight to it. :)

oh yeah, its not a huge worry for now, it was just kind of shocking, as i'd rarely seen it even reach 60 so 70's was high..

i was thinking similar things, with the increased airflow splitting heat pockets; it seems to have stabilized somewhat now, 76F/62% so maybe the plants were just transpiring at a greater rate and now that they've caught up, the humidity is down, but still higher than before, due to the increased rate?

either way, its looking ok for now!

Day 58 - 11th day of flower

the 2 LST's are dry again after 3 days, so i fed them with ~2L ea of 2.4mL/L Bio Bloom, Bio Heaven, Top Max and approximately the same molasses, but it spilled over the spoon so i duno how much it ended up with.

the other 4 are looking good, but soil is mosty dry already and the drain holes are all showing roots, so they must be well situated; seeing as their growth has slowed down, i think they are pretty close to the end of stretch. Planning to do a bit of defoliation at that point, but no clear cutting like some people do haha..
anyways, 2 still probing moist at the bottom center, so i'll give them at least one more day..

73F 50RH right now, so things are back under control again for the most part!

heres some fresh pics, mostly of the 2 LST's

The tent is filling up nicely, a bit crowded with 6 plants tho
Day58-ALL.jpg

I noticed this and thought, with the dry dirt, it may be wilting? but the stem seems stiff still, so it may just be some extreme leaning towards the light.. i pointed the limp side towards the light just in case.
Day58-Bent.jpg

This is the Black Indica that had some very light LST done, i tied it to the edge of the pot and let it go from there, but even that small amount made some drastic changes in its growth
Day58-BILST-1.jpg

these 2 shots are of what i've come to think are calcium/mag deficiencies? there are some leaves on the larger plant exhibiting similar symptoms, so i figured try the molasses on the little ones first and see how it goes..
day58-BILST-3.jpg
day58-BILST-4.jpg

and this is the Hash Plant that LST'd originally, quite a bit more growth on this one.
day58-HPLST-1.jpg

and a few of its own leaf issues, but seems like nothing too serious yet.
day58-HPLST-4.jpg
day58-HPLST-3.jpg
day58-HPLST-2.jpg

aside from that everything is looking good, but like i said the larger plants are showing some similar symptoms (some of which could be leftover damage from previous issues), will take some pics when i water them next and see how the little ones respond, if they do.
I have noticed a few randomly placed wilted leaves on some of the newer growth on the offshoots; im thinking i may have damaged some roots with my soil probe and possibly when i disturbed the surface of the soil on one of them.. it was quite stiff, so i roughed it up a bit and found a bunch of roots just below the surface of the soil. hoping thats all it is and not something more sinister..

in other news, my wife says she could smell the plants across the house when i had the tent open and the LST's on the counter for watering, haha, so i guess my carbon filter is working ok so far!

:thumb:

nice! my wife jokingly suggested that when i was talking about it the other night, i wasn't sure it would work; thanks for that tidbit!

i do have some epsom salts that i tried in the last watering, but after some more research it seemed more like calcium than magnesium. I had some molasses in the cupboard with K Ca and Mg and have seen plenty of people use that, so i went for it.

i dont normally have milk in the house but thats good to know!

Day 60 - 13th day of flower - temps are stable, RH back under control ~75F ~50%RH

All 4 tall plants probed dry thru the centre, were bone dry on top and lifted easy; each one got 4L of solution with the standard 2.4mL/L of Bloom, heaven and topmax, with the addition of 1 large teaspoon per gallon (4L) of molasses.

they all seem to take saturation quite well with the gallon, though it leaves a small dry pocket here and there.. i try not to probe too much now tho after considering some root damage.. next time i will probably up their intake to 5-6L but its easier for me for now since i use a gallon jug to water with..

anyways, here are a few pictures of the leaves i mentioned previously, and the reason i'm giving them all a bit of molasses - whether its the right thing to do or not is yet to be seen :p haha

The first one is a shot of old damage that remains on a now healthy leaf - the rest are of the recent speckling i mentioned

and finally, the leaves i plucked off today to get some better light penetration and airflow; nice dark, broad indica leaves to fan my face with, haha.

of course it never fails that these heavy indica's like to droop after watering, even when so dry; so i didn't take a group shot today.

if anyone can confirm or deny my cal/mag assumption or propose an alternative, I'm all ears!

thanks for stickin around

:thumb:

heres some quick shots now that they've perked up a bit too.

thats a Black Indica in the centre, sportin' a haircut
Day60-ALL.jpg

heres a crown shot from my hash plant straggler thats still second tallest; front right in group
Day60-crown-hp1.jpg

This is from the Black Indica thats been LST'd; left centre
day60-crown-BI2.jpg

And this is from the Queen B in the middle
Day60-crown-queenB.jpg

after looking around and seeing the amount of shade thats in there still, I'm wondering if i should have taken off more 🚬

but thats that for now

edit to add: anyone know what causes that double serrated edge on some plants?

though it leaves a small dry pocket here and there..
In soil, I address this issue by watering in 2 phases. Water with 1/2 your mix, let the water seep around the bucket an get the soil moist. Wait 5 or 10 minutes while the water saturates the soil. Then, just water in the other 1/2. You'll see much better saturation.

In my garden, I see rust spots like yours on many of my clones. I don't feed them during cloning and often see the spots as I ramp up their nutes. If I were seeing this on a mature plant in my garden, I'd boost the Cal by adding a touch more milk.

yeah i was figuring that to be the case; never noticed until after i started feeding with nutes tho and it seems like a rather random mutation in some spots, where theres only 1 double edge on an entire leaf, but others have all double edges..

i like it, anyways :p haha

In soil, I address this issue by watering in 2 phases. Water with 1/2 your mix, let the water seep around the bucket an get the soil moist. Wait 5 or 10 minutes while the water saturates the soil. Then, just water in the other 1/2. You'll see much better saturation.

In my garden, I see rust spots like yours on many of my clones. I don't feed them during cloning and often see the spots as I ramp up their nutes. If I were seeing this on a mature plant in my garden, I'd boost the Cal by adding a touch more milk.

yea for sure! thats actually how i do water, after Emilya showed me their great post about watering at least.. i think on the next run it will be a lot better, because my soil will be properly mixed. I actually water that gallon in about 4-5 rounds each plant to make sure it soaks in, but the central root ball from the last transplant is just so dense that its sometimes very hard to penetrate..

i end up probing with the soil meter to make channels, but thats how i may have damaged the roots, lol :p its a vicious cycle when one aspect is out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom