1st Grow - MH/HPS + LED - Advice Welcome!

TylrDurdN

Screenshot_2015-04-26-21-28-44.png

Hey all! This is my first post and my first grow so please forgive me if there are some newbie mistakes during this entire process.

1st Grow
5x4x7ft self made tent
1-600w Apollo MH/HPS air cooled
1-300w Marshydro LED
1- 4 inch inline exhaust fan (blowing air into the tent from outside of my building w/filter taped on the end of ducting
1 - 6 inch exhaust fan hooked to light pushing air out of the tent
1- carbon filter
1 - Oscillating Fan
4 gallon container with bubbling stone (using only store bought distilled water at this point)
7 dark devil autos using a mix of mediums for experimentation in 5 gallon buckets and one 5 gallon grow bag
*All have bottom half filled with subcools super soil - used coco and miracle grow organic
*All 6 buckets have roots organic with added perlite and the grow bag only miracle grow organic with added perlite
Light cycle - first week and a half 18/6 with mh and led/last few days I have upped to 24/0

Temps have been ranging from 65-75 degrees. The grow is in my building (which I don't suggest or enjoy but it is my only option currently). Due to the season where I live, weather has been insane. Dropping to freezing and as hot as high 70s in the last 2 weeks.
This has made keeping temps exact very difficult but it is what it is.

Humidity usually stays around 30- 55. General stays around 35.

At this point, I'm not sure all my babies are salvageable. Over watered the shit out of them. Beginner move... I know. But fuck it. Lesson learned. Every mistake breeds a solution.
Started the ladies all in soil all had 100% success rate from Sweet Seeds Dark Devil's. As you will see in the pics (hopefully if I uploaded them properly) I staggered when I started them. Started 4 and was just gonna roll with that. Waited a few days.... got anxious and excited....said the heck with it and started the others.
*Side note.... ordered 5 seeds...... sweet seeds sent me 7. They are legit. Definitely will roll with those guys again. They are top notch****
Anyway... started by using a spray bottle and small amounts from a water bottle at first. They flourished. Then.... about a week after sprout.... I ran 3/4 of a gallon 2 different times on the 1st 4 and 1/2 gallon once also. Watered them ever 2-3 days like that for a week. Since that point.... they all completed stopped progressing. 100% stand still. As I'm hoping you can see, they are all drooping and one looks completely shot. Read one person with a similar set up to mine only uses 3/4 of a cup every 3 days and his plants looked magnificent in comparison to mine at this point. If they live thru this, that's my plan afterward. Anyone with any knowledge/experience on this please feel free to fill me in.

So..... there it is. Hoping I don't crash and burn with these purps because they look amazing and I am very pumped for the grow.
If so, I have some light of jah on back up. Planning on waiting a week to ten days to see if they can dry out and endure. If not, I'll salvage what I can and try the LOJs

Also.... today I drilled several more holes in the bottoms and sides of my buckets in hopes that it would help the drenched soil receive air and dry out. I also took a hair dryer (using the cool setting) and gave each plant a minute or two of continuous air into the holes I drilled. Have also unhooked my ducting from my fan leading outside which let's my tent stay hotter. Usually will run about 75-80 instead of 65-75 that way. Praying higher temps in the short term might help.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome. I am really hoping for some good, orderly direction with this so I don't continue to make mistakes. Invested a lot of time and effort into this project and am pumped at the thought of growing some top notch smoke. Thanks!

Hey tylr im also dealing w/ a similar climate, it can be stressful. Best tip i can give you to prevent over watering would be to familiarize your self w/ the weight of your plantdry and water when it feels light,if it feels heavy leave it, the more ventilation the better to help them dry out a little air on the top of the soil will go a long way!

Thanks Smoky. Right now, they are about 2 feet away from my girls. Had them about 3 feet away for the fist 10 days or so. Recently dropped the lights lower hoping it might help dry out my pots. Would u say that's too close? My research had told me right about 3 feet is good for seedlings but I have no experience to speak from. My only knowledge comes from reading other grow journals

Does any one on here have experience with recovering autos from over watering? If so... how long will it take? And will my yield be completely f'd?

I would say if there stressed from the over watering pull the light as far away as your able to in your room, you dont want to stress from the light as well, when there stressed there more vulnerable. I would just create as much of an air exchange as possible from my experience usually take a week maybe 2 to bounce back, not sure about the yield i wouldn't think so if you were in flower i would say yes but then again im sure theres ppl here w/ alot more experience w/ auto flowers. Good Luck!

Also stay away from nutes, this early. If you have a good soil you should't add any nutrients until you hit at least 4 nodes and then you should start at 1/4 to 1/2 the dosage see how they react and work your way up!

Screenshot_2015-04-27-21-18-10.png
Little update. Didn't have a chance to adjust the lighting but I did measure. Both are 21 inches away from my girls.

Manipulated my temp in my room today and let it run hot with every fan I have running all day on full blast. Did so by unhooking the ducting that runs outside under my building from my exhaust fan and pulling air straight from the building. Doing that seems to add 5-10 degrees to the room.
Surprisingly, my soil had dried out quite a bit and I actually saw some progress in a few that had been dormant. I think with the heat, the extra air movement, keeping my lights running 24 hrs a day, drilling the extra holes in my buckets and hitting the holes with the cool hair dryer - some of my girls might be ok (even though they probably won't turn out as strong as I would like them to be).
Took some more pics. One lady looks like she's alive but I'm fairly convinced that if she makes it, she will be seriously stunted. Also, the calcium deficiency in my youngest seems to be getting worse. Added some ground up egg shells to her. Hoping after I water her again it might help.
Any insights welcome! Thanks all

Hey guys! Time for a little update. Most of my girls have recovered from being seriously over watered. Trashed one. Think she would have still made it but I didn't want to waste the time/energy/$ on it. I have some Light of Jah that I think I'm gonna plant in her place.
Since my last post, several things have went down.
#1 - Knats. Had a serious infestation. I think it was a result of the over watering, using miracle grow soil, and the "baking" the subcools soil mix for a month. Anyway, went to war with them 2 days ago..... and I won. Added play sand to my soil, added some fly strips to my tent, sat out a bowl of vinegar and soap, and used some mosquito dunks to kill any larva in the soil.
Checked my tent today and most were gonna. Still a few stragglers but I can live with that.
#2 - Deficiency seems to be getting worse (as you'll see in the pics) Almost positive I have a calcium deficiency. Researched and found a chart of all the different cannabis deficiency and was I have going on definitely looks like a calcium deficiency. Thought using subcools mix would prevent this but it didnt.
Didn't want to hit my girls with nutes until they recovered from the stress of being over watered but I have a potion running through my bubbling stone now. Mixed up some blood meal, bat guano, epsom salts, and some magnesium and calcium tablets I ground down to a powder. Have some cal-mag on the way but this will have to do til then. Heated them in a new stainless pot for about an hour and now they are marinating in my reservoir for 24 hours. Using half of the suggested amounts at first.
#3- added about 4 foot of ducting to my vent system to add some slack. It was pulled tight before and air wasn't moving as well as it should have been.
I think that's it! Here's some pics of my girls and how they are doing! Thanks!

This guy is struggling a bit. Also about 2.5 weeks. If he doesn't blow up in the next 2-3 days I might trash him also so I can make room for LOJ

Back
Top Bottom