1st grow. Northern Lights

v3gas4ce

I live in the Uk and I started my first ever grow in early January, of 3 plants. 1x Northern lights special feminized (KC Brains), 1x blue mystic regular (Nirvana), 1x swiss cheese Feminized (Nirvana). The only one i didn't buy fem turned out male (so far). I'm quite impressed with my efforts so far
IMG_107024.JPG

It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll try :)

I started the NL inside and it was doing ok, but stretching for the outside light so in early March when it was warm enough I put it in a 15l pot, stuck it outside and gave it organic nutes, it was in my garden all summer and really bushed out. I topped it in June and super cropped it at the beginning of August. it's really big and bushy and loves the organic feed, which is (10-10-10). The plant is now about 9 months old, approx 5 feet wide and almost 7ft tall (before topping/supercropping).
IMG_108227.JPG

But I cannot see any signs of the sex of the plant for sure. I can see small things which I've heard are signs that it's female, like the red striped branches and no male pollen sacs, but nothing for sure.
IMG_107420.JPG

I've thought about force flowering a lower branch but I don't know if that'll be the best thing.
the nights are closing in now here and the weather will start to get too cold for it to be outside anyway. So in the next week I will be taking it in and getting a few clones off it before I put it on 12/12 and see what sort of harvest I can get off it as it's been in veg for 8 months.

I took a few photos of the parts I believe to be female pistils, but I'll leave them to your expert judgement.

IMG_109819.JPG
IMG_109429.JPG
IMG_108924.JPG
IMG_107225.JPG
IMG_107420.JPG

I'm currently setting up my indoor grow room and have so far bought a 400w HPS light and a 125w CFL bulb (I had the light fitting anyway so I thought I'd make use of it)
I have 2 fans I intend to use and quite a large grow space, apart from that I don't know what is a necessity and what is an extra.
Anyone like to offer advice as to what I need to do to get the best out of this plant, nutes, defol, recommended lighting, anything I'm missing, doing wrong or could do better?

Thanks for reading.
v3

Re: 1st grow. Northern Lights.

Hello and Welcome!

Those are massive! Might run out of room if you have normal 8foot ceilings!

I can't really offer any advice or suggestions right now but you may want to get the mods to move this over to the "Grow Forums" under grows in progress. Then we can check to see how your room is coming and offer you advice and suggestions as you need it. Right now it looks like you are doing great.

Taken any clones yet?

Thanks daTenshi, can't see any thing near the stipules apart from what looks like new growth, but i did assume by the length of time it's been growing and the size of it, it surely must be showing preflowers by now?
I'll have to get a jewelers lupe so I can check properly.

Yeah J189RFC, it's big!
I supercropped the top terminal bud when it started to creep over the neighbours fence and I topped it before that as I thought it was getting too tall.
my grow room will have 8 foot ceilings so would you recommend anything so I don't run out of space?? I have almost unlimited space horizontally (40ftx12ft garage) as I've not built my growroom yet.
I wanted to wait until it shows sex before taking clones but as soon as it does I'll be ready to get a couple off it for my next grow (a smaller plant :p)

Thanks for your kind words :)

V3

The pre flowers will show first at the first node of the top branches, or at the point where you topped/FIMed it.

As for the height issues, do take into consideration that it will double even triple in size once she starts flowering. I would gently pull some of those branches down, with either some weights or stakes. Make sure you do it slowly because it can break easily, a little day by day, but you need to feel how much is too much when pulling down. Also don't put too much tension in the line you're using, she will pull on them to get back up and that also can cause it to snap. Some material that has an elastic propriety would be great.

The pre flowers will show first at the first node of the top branches, or at the point where you topped/FIMed it.

As for the height issues, do take into consideration that it will double even triple in size once she starts flowering. I would gently pull some of those branches down, with either some weights or stakes. Make sure you do it slowly because it can break easily, a little day by day, but you need to feel how much is too much when pulling down. Also don't put too much tension in the line you're using, she will pull on them to get back up and that also can cause it to snap. Some material that has an elastic propriety would be great.

kinda like LST?
When I supercropped I felt how much tension was needed for the stems to "break" and that was quite a bit so maybe I could get away with a light weight to gently pull the branches down
I can work the main branches downwards but think my main issue would be the main stem as it's pretty thick all the way to the topping node, which is still 3ft up.
it stands approx. 5ft 6inches tall after being supercropped, I had no idea about it doubling in size :O

You think that is still a viable option?
I will try to reduce the height. Thanks for your help :)

V3

Sorry about posting these a little late.
I have been busy at work the past couple of days and only just had chance to upload them.

The first picture is the node just below the original topping.

Most of the others are just above on the main terminal bud.

Some of the others I thought might help :)
IMG_109926.JPG
IMG_109429.JPG
IMG_109819.JPG
IMG_112231.JPG
IMG_112132.JPG
IMG_112026.JPG
IMG_111723.JPG
IMG_111620.JPG
IMG_111420.JPG
IMG_111116.JPG
IMG_111016.JPG

She looks to be a female to me, but I am new at this also..would love to here what the pros here think....got a lot of info from here far
LOOKs great..!!!!

I believe you have a male on your hands.

I circled what appear to be male parts so you can clearly see them. I do not see any white hairs protruding from them, and at that size they should have the hairs by now I believe.

I'm thinking the same thing. All the things that looked like calyx don't have the pistils. Before I started adding more phosphorus + potassium the "pre-flowers" just turned into new growth.
They are now at a stage where the things that looked like calyx are starting to droop down and there are 2 or 3 of them per node and no hairs on any of them. I checked with a magnifying glass!
Probably all bad signs to you experts.

Time to chop?

I don't have any more plants which this will affect so I'm happy to let it grow a little longer just to make sure, but I'm pretty confident that it's a male.
It'll give me a little bit more time to set up a permanent grow house for the next generation of plants I will grow.
Even if this does turn out to be a male, i have learned a lot about the germination and how the plants grow to use on the next set of plants, so this isn't a total failure, as it may seem.
I've also leaned a lot about LST/supercropping/topping/pruning/watering and the light it likes.

Might update this thread if a miracle happens, but if not, keep it green and thanks for your help :)

v3

Back
Top Bottom