1st Indoor Grow - 9 Strains - Eek!

Granny420

First post here.
First grow here.
Doing it BIG!

Have 9 strains sprouting - 48 seeds total. Soaked them overnight last Sunday night (8/9), planted them in rockwool, and watered with distilled water mixed with some seed and root grow.

As of today, 30 have sprouted and this ol' granny is sooooo smilin' cuz I'm HAVING BABIES!!!

Anyways... I will post more when I have a bit more time (tonight or tomorrow). For now, I just want to also say :thanks: to all the wonderful contributors here. I been hangin' out learnin' just as much as I can for quite some time... preparing.

Catch ya in a little bit with details of the grow... Super Nova (aka Chronic), Medijuana, White Widow, Thai Tanic, Utopia Haze, G13 Haze, Cheese (fem), Blueberry, and Green...

:peace:

Re: 1st Indoor Grow - 9 Strains - EEEK!

Details

Good to see ya, Ms Fox. Thanks so much for the welcome! I have sure learned a lot and love the reference and support offered here... and I have to say, I've wiped the drool off the screen a few times from lookin' at ppl's grows!!

Here we are - but I bet I forget things...
Soil grow.
CFLs for seedlings and clones
2 1000w MH/HPS Convertable for veg and flowering
Room area: 13' x 16' but need some walking area

As I said, I soaked seeds overnight on 8/9 and planted in rockwool on 8/10, watered w/distilled h2o with seed and rooting grow. The first 1 popped on 8/12 and now 30 have popped or begun to pop (can see rising). They are under a 150w CFL and two 75w CFLs that take 30w to operate. They are rising about 1/2 inch and then showing me their first two darlin' lil leaves.

I also have a 14,000 BTU AC/Heater/Dehumidifier running in the room at 73F with the fan directed right on the lil hummers. Temp has maintained 70F to 73F. I covered the works with a clear plastic bag for half of each of the first two days to keep the humidity and moisture going until they started popping. Have left uncovered since.

They look darn healthy. Hmm... have to figure out how to upload an image. Okay, hope it works!

Sprouting2Days.JPG

and it did! :goodjob: In the back there is one that stood up yesterday and a number that are standing up today, and a bunch that are just coming thru the RW.

What is planted and how many sprouted at the moment...
10 Super Nova (said aka Chronic) - 7 are popping
10 Medijuana - 5 are popping
10 White Widow - 6 are popping
3 Cheese (feminized) - all 3 are up
3 Blueberry - all 3 are up
3 L*D - 1 is up
3 Thai Tanic - none showing yet
3 Utopia Haze - 2 have popped
3 G13 Haze - all 3 have popped
Have complete faith more will be germinating in the next few days. But feeling like you all mustta given me some great advice to have gotten this far and have them lookin' like healthy babes. Hopefully I won't kill em off!

They are pretty precious to me and I've grown a lot of other types of plants, so hopefully things will come out favorable. Have a feeling I will have a jungle before I'm done.

I also greatly appreciate a place to be able to journal this journey. I have a limited amount of time so I'm going to make the most of what I have. I have insisted under great protest of the hubby on growing until the end of March. I can still be drying and curing, but all plants have to be harvested by then. I'm not sure if I'll get 2 or 3 harvests in by then. I'll just have to see how it grows... I mean, goes.

Anyway, I am extremely happy today cuz I'm having tons of babies and it is feelin' GOOD!!! All that is in this area is seedy garbage in comparison to what I hope to grow. Mixture of sativas and indicas... yum yum yum

I am limited on the time I will have here, but will try real hard to get in here as often as I can. I have grown to love this place just in lurkin! There is a wealth of info here - and I'm gonna need it!!!

Look out for the granny who types fast and talks too much! I'm plannin' on growin' a mixed jungle and hope a few months from now finds others droolin the way I have been over the fantastic grows other have listed here!

Smilin' granny420 today. I'm hoping for lots of girls and just enough boys to give me a few hopeful seeds for the future.

Re: 1st Indoor Grow - 9 Strains - EEEK!

You've got the strains I have been wanting to get hold of for ages and ages!!

Will be watching!

+reps for the beautiful way you have worded and presented the introduction to your grow.

Hey to all - thanks so much for the responses!

Since I don't have awesome bud pics (YET), I may as well continue the start of this journal with the info on each of the varieties. Not sure if I can post seller's names (can a moderator let me know if you read this?), so I *hope* I took out all names when I copied the info for each strain.

Blueberry (all 3 sprouted)
1st price "High Times Cup" 2000
3rd price "High Times Cup" 2001
**** Original Blueberry is a mostly Indica (80% Indica, 20% Sativa) strain, that dates to the late 1970’s. A large producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues, that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very fruity aroma and taste of blueberry. It produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric high of the highest quality and is very long lasting. Medium to large calyxes.
THC = 19.5%, CBD < 0.1%
Flowering period: 8 – 10 weeks
Harvest time outdoor: 2nd – 3rd week of Oct.

Green (all 3 sprouted)
An old Skunk variety crossed with Mazar. – Called Green by the **** crew because of its powerful trippy effect. Developed from ancient genetics long established in the **** seed bank. Crossing Skunk #1 with a potent Mazar we have created a very powerful Indica strain. Green is a hardy, disease resistant plant that responds well in all grow conditions. With just a little care and attention, the Green strain will give the grower high yielding award winning powerful results. The flavor is intense earthy chestnut with a sweet musky smell. The Green produces a euphoric, almost psychedelic experience. It’s a super-trippy and very powerful stone.
Type: Indica dominant
Genetics: Skunk #1 X Mazar
Yield: Optimum indoor. 600 gr/m2
Indoor Height: 50 – 60 cm
Indoor flowering time: 60 to 65 days
Outdoor harvest time: Mid September

THC: 24%
CBD: 1.3%

Cheese - Feminized (all 3 sprouted)
It was 2004 when **** won a Cannabis Cup for this “instantly famous” strain that originated in the UK. It was an instant hit when first released through coffeeshops in Amsterdam. It took a few years of back-crossing to guarantee a consistent seed that can produce the high quality buds that you expect.
Type: Sativa/Indica
Flowering time: 10 weeks
Outdoor harvest: October

G13 Haze (all 3 sprouted)
Cannabis Cup Winner 2006!
The G13 legend lives on with this remarkable G13 cross developed from the world famous G13 and our favourite Hawaiian Sativa. Stays short for a mostly sativa plant and has extraordinary density of flower structure with heavy resin production Ideal for SOG & ScrOG gardens. The effect is cerebral yet powerful with a taste of fruit & spice.

Type: Sativa dominant
Genetics: G13. Hawaiian
Yield: Optimum indoor. 500 gr/m2
Indoor Height: 70 – 80 cm
Indoor flowering time: 70 to 80 days
Outdoor harvest time: Mid October
THC: 20 % CBD: 0.7 %

Utopia Haze (all 3 sprouted)
Our friends in Brazil have been raving at us about a special strain of sativa cannabis – indigenous to Brazil. After much cajoling and hunting, we hot our hands on seeds. Thus began a 3 year selection process. Infusing no other genetics, backcrossing selected plants with strong genetics in the same line to get the desired phenotypes stabilised.
We were looking for something original, with power, volume and unique taste and flavour. Finally just two phenotypes were chosen to work with. Hardy high yielding plants, mould and disease resistant, and most important the power, taste and flavour are indeed unique. The high has indeed a sense of utopia long lasting cerebral and heavenly.
Type: Sativa dominant
Genetics: Afghani. North Indian. Mexican.
Yield: Optimum indoor: 550 gr/m2
Indoor height: 80 – 90 cm
Indoor flowering time: 70 to 80 days
Outdoor harvest time: Mid October

THC 22
CBD 0.6

Thai Tanic (1 sprouted finally - is yellower, like maybe it had to work at it.)
Don’t panic, this one will only take you up and up!. Developed in Thailand, USA and Holland this is a F-1 Hybrid.
Sativa/Indica: Mostly Sativa
Smell/Taste: Typical Thai, with Skunk undertones
High/Strength: Extremely strong, with a surprising clear
Expected yield per m2: High
Appearance: Sativa looking, very resinous
Sowing Time: May / June
Outdoor Harvest: November (in the Netherlands)
Indoor Flowering Period: 9 – 12 weeks (12 hours)

(Note: This I wanted just cuz it's been over 25 years since I smoked any Thai - yum yum yum!!!)

White Widow (8 out of 10 have sprouted)
This strain is the strongest weed in the world. The buds have so much THC on them that it is hard to see the bud at all. The high is extreme and the taste divine. This weed has won more cups than any before. On the top of all dutch coffeeshop menu's (mostly the most expensive!) A must for anyone who thinks they are a smoker !!
Type : Indica - Sativa mix
Climate : indoor
Yield : 450 gr/m2
Height : 35 - 60 cm

Flowering period : 8 weeks
Harvest : begin september
Stoned or High : Extreme high
THC level : strong 20% - 25%
Grow Difficulty : Moderate

Medijuana (5 out of 10 have sprouted)
Medijuana 100% all natural pain relief.
The most powerful medical marijuana seed strain world wide. This overwhelming indica has several fine qualities, making her very popular among medical marijuana users. Because of the high percentage of THC and the narcotic effect this strain is highly reccomended as a medicinal herb. The flowers are covered with sweet sticky resin and spread an stunning odor. The plants grow fast and makes many branches with golf-ball-like, rock hard buds. Medijuana is excellent for scrog-growing a.k.a. screen of green.
Warning: This weed can be too heavy for starting smokers!
Type : mostly indica
Climate : indoor and outdoor
Yield : 550 gr/m2 indoor
Height : 45 - 75 cm
Flowering period : 8 - 9 weeks
Harvest : September
Stoned or High : 100% all natural pain relief
THC level : 25%
Grow Difficulty : easy - moderate

SUPER NOVA aka Chronic (9 out of 10 have sprouted)
Brighter shining THC crystals than any other cannabis varity. A very bright new star shining in your garden. Because of the many requests we added Chronic marijuana seeds to our marijuana seeds catalogue. SUPER NOVA - NUMBER 1 STRAIN 4 MEDICINAL USE - A SUPER NOVA is a stellar explosion that creates an extremely luminous object. A SUPER NOVA causes a burst of radiation that may briefly outshine its entire host galaxy before fading from view over several weeks or months. During this short interval the SUPER NOVA radiates as much energy as the Sun would emit over 10 billion years.
Nova means new in latin referring to what appears to be a very bright new star shining in the celestial sphere the prefix super distinguishes supernovae from ordinary novae which also involve a star increasing in brightness
Type : Indica
Climate : indoor - outdoor
Yield : 400 gr/m2
Height : 40 - 80 cm
Flowering period : 8 weeks
Harvest : September
Stoned or High : Best for medicinal use
THC level : 25%
Grow Difficulty : Moderate

(Note: The above description sounds great for crystals, but sure didn't give a very good description. I did a lot of research on "Chronic" tho and it sure sounds like a super strain.)

I don't know how accurate the thc percentages are, but I did try to find some very strong strains and a variety.

That's all for this post, more on my lights in the next. :smokin:

Today I tested one of the 1000w MH lamps. Jiminy Cricket does a 1000w kick out the heat! I was trying to plan this so it was cooler weather before needing this, but I just couldn't wait any longer to get started - a hot month early.

I figure I won't need the 1000w for 2-3 weeks, but it will still be fairly warm here so I am thinking hard about how/where to ventilate the heat. Went to the store and picked up some items - but I am so NOT good at this type of thing. Hubby is, but I am strictly on my own with this one - he wants nothing to do with it and I respect that. It may take me longer, but I'll figure it out.

This is a very large upstairs room (13' x 21' total, but not that much for grow area) that is open on one end, going up a couple steps to a large double closet area (5'x8' open area between two 4'x8' closets). I am hoping to veg in those closets under CFLs when I cycle/clone grows.

The large room has one 1.5' x 2' opening to an attic in the ceiling, a second 2.5'x 3' door to an attic area in a wall that leads direct to a roof vent, and a window (but I have the window light-tight covered and prefer to keep it this way).

Right now I am venting the A/C unit out the wall attic and it is working fine. But after running the 1000w for just a little bit, I am positive I will have to vent differently when I begin using it. Exchanging air will be so much easier when the weather turns cool, I can pull fresh air in from the wall and vent the heat up the ceiling.

Now that I got to put one of the 1000w together, I have a question. And please forgive this ol' lady for sounding really dumb... I bought a cooling fan for the 1000w system. The 1000w has covers/openings on both ends that the fan will fit.

My question...
Do I want to use the fan to pull in outside room air that would blow all the way thru and over the light, venting the heat out the other end and up to the attic? OR - Do I want to leave the one end open and connect the fan so it is pulling air thru and directly into the vent ducting (or whatever that crap is called!!!) and out to the attic?

Any help explained in idiot terms, would sure be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!!!!

so Dutch Passions Blueberry? just wondering cause my first indoor is gunna be Blueberry, Orange Bud and Mazer

My question...
Do I want to use the fan to pull in outside room air that would blow all the way thru and over the light, venting the heat out the other end and up to the attic? OR - Do I want to leave the one end open and connect the fan so it is pulling air thru and directly into the vent ducting (or whatever that crap is called!!!) and out to the attic?

Any help explained in idiot terms, would sure be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Generally, it's best to pull air out of a grow room, and have a passive intake (no fan, just a hole), but you also generally don't want to vent warm, humid air into an attic, as you might get mold or rot your framing. Some attics are well vented enough to take it... but without seeing yours...

If you can, vent directly outside... if not, post again and we'll figure it out!

Nice setup by the way, looking forward to your journal. :popcorn:

CO2 - Yes. I ran across a really cheap and easy way to create CO2 - the only problem is not being able to monitor the amount being released. But I thought I would just guestimate and see what happens.

The CO2 method was on a video for plant aquarium use, but would surely work for my purposes also.

Needed:
2L Bottle with cap
Aquarium tubing
Check valve
Silicone glue

Drill a hole in the cap to tightly fit the tubing thru. When finished, the tubing should go inside the bottle maybe up to an inch at most - not into the liquid. Outside, it needs to be long enough to place the check valve (to prevent leaks) and further tubing. Make sure the check valve is placed properly to allow the co2 to escape and NOT to block it (will build up pressure and explode). Seal the cap/tubing opening with silicone glue. Let dry/cure completely before using.

3/4c sugar
1tsp active yeast
6c warm water

Add sugar, yeast and water to bottle. Shake well to mix. Firmly put cap on. In about an hour, CO2 will begin to generate. This setup loses CO2 production around 2 weeks, so dating the container and replacing is important.

I thought this sounded real easy and inexpensive - and a whole lot better than nothing. Again, the major downfall is not being able to monitor the amounts. I figure I'll just place a number of these throughout the grow and see what happens.

Generally, it's best to pull air out of a grow room, and have a passive intake (no fan, just a hole), but you also generally don't want to vent warm, humid air into an attic, as you might get mold or rot your framing. Some attics are well vented enough to take it... but without seeing yours...

If you can, vent directly outside... if not, post again and we'll figure it out!

Nice setup by the way, looking forward to your journal. :popcorn:
Thank you!!

Do you think if it was just for a 6 month period, and most of it during colder months (cool to cold in the attic then), that it would do much damage? I am venting the a/c direct out the roof vent that is in the wall attic, so I accidentally did good there. I could figure out how to vent them both out the same roof vent if that would be best, but then I run into air exchange problems.

My thoughts were that heat rises so venting up to the ceiling attic would work best, and when the weather cools it would be easy for me to bring in fresh air through the wall attic because of the roof vent.

Whatcha think? And THANK YOU for any advice!

I'm outta here for tonight. Will catch ya all on the flip side. :peace:

Thank you!!

Do you think if it was just for a 6 month period, and most of it during colder months (cool to cold in the attic then), that it would do much damage? I am venting the a/c direct out the roof vent that is in the wall attic, so I accidentally did good there. I could figure out how to vent them both out the same roof vent if that would be best, but then I run into air exchange problems.

My thoughts were that heat rises so venting up to the ceiling attic would work best, and when the weather cools it would be easy for me to bring in fresh air through the wall attic because of the roof vent.

Whatcha think? And THANK YOU for any advice!

I'm outta here for tonight. Will catch ya all on the flip side. :peace:

If you are in a dry environment, then no problem, you will not do damage.

Wet and cold... well, a bit of warm humid air would be a mold's dream.

In general, if you have an attic - room, not 5' to the ridge beam space over the collar ties, and vents at the top of the roof, you'll be fine. Happy Growing!

Didn't abandon this - don't worry! I do have to work (run my own business) and the sons and their families are often over on the weekend - so life gets busy with them (love them all!!!). Hello and thank you to anyone who chooses to watch my journey. Hope I make it worth your while!

Didn't kill em off yet! But this is sure a crucial time when the smallest things sure can. Sure do appreciate...

If you are in a dry environment, then no problem, you will not do damage.

Wet and cold... well, a bit of warm humid air would be a mold's dream.

In general, if you have an attic - room, not 5' to the ridge beam space over the collar ties, and vents at the top of the roof, you'll be fine. Happy Growing!

Thank you so much! Also thank you for the pull thru info. Today I changed over to a 1000w MH and I tried to follow your advice. I ran the fan so it pulls air thru, left the other end of the 1000w open, and vented out the wall attic straight to our roof vent (joined in with A/C vent there). I greatly appreciate the info cuz if I had gone the way I was thinking, I could have ruined the roof! It is a 5' to the peak and 5' x 21', so there is some air room in there, but after pondering, I agreed the roof vent was the best place to vent to. So here is what I ended up with:

1st1000wSetUp.JPG

Now, mind you, I still have a lot to do! I have to cover the floor and walls (have that planned) and so much more... but this is a start.

Question again tho - How high from the seedlings should I have the 1000w MH? I had it about 6" lower, but raised it when temps hit 82F. Now I am maintaining around 76F to 79F. The bottom of the lamp is currently 33" from the top of the pots. I don't want stretching, but sure don't want to cook my babies either!

A few more images of where I am...

This first one just shows the fans I am running. The two small ones are pulling the a/c towards the plants and the big one in the rear is to help cool the air coming off the 1000w AND help grow strong lil ones.

FansWithSprouts.JPG

In the next one, you can see all that are sprouted, the temp, and the humidity.

ALL-SproutedTransplanted.jpg

And then I did two closer images to show each half a bit closer.

1HALF-SproutedTransplanted.jpg

2HALF-SproutedTransplanted.jpg

NOT SPROUTED = 1 White Widow (out of 10) and 5 Medijuana (out of 10). Otherwise everything else is up, or coming up. I put the unsprouted back under a plastic cover and we'll see if anything else comes up, but it was time for me to proceed with what I have up...

I AM REALLY EXCITED and extremely pleased with my germination efforts. 10 Super Nova Chronic, 9 White Widow, 5 Medijuana, and 3 each of Cheese (feminized), Green, Blueberry, Thai Tanic, Utopia Haze, and G13 Haze. So everything came up except 1 WW and 5 Medijuana. Something I did, the Medijuana must not have liked - but everything else sure did!

I was having some yellowing on some leaves and when I checked pH last night, it was low - so I gave my babes a gentle shower in some healthy pH water and tried to flush the rockwool. That was last night. Today, I planted my babies in their first pots and gave them a good drink. Now I'll wait til they get fairly dry before watering again. Hope that pulls the yellow ones out of it!

Anyways, just checkin' in and givin what I can for an update. Hopefully I will get a day to spend making everything white and silver to make the best use of my light. And I have my CO2 and odor control DIY items to also get going as time passes. There is only one of me and limited time, so I'll get to things as I can!

Happy Trails To ALL! :peace:

Question:

If my temps stay where they are, is it better to stay 24/0 for a couple weeks, or is it better to go 18/6? I have the electrical covered, so that is not a factor. I am staying 24/0 at the moment, but would like to know what others think about this change. Hmmm... maybe I'll just go search the grow room. :rollingeyes:

Got the answers to both my questions.

On this link:
What distance should my light be from my plants?

It gives a detailed description, but also gives these basics for folks like ME :smokin::

Partial Quote
"There are a number of factors which play a part in the temperature radiated from your bulb, watts, hood design and air circulation for example.

A simple method of testing for temperature is to use the back of your hand; if its too hot for your hand, its too hot for your plants. Good ventilation is the key to getting your light closer to the garden.

Recommended typical OLH distances:
Flourescentsroximimty
400w HPS: 1 foot
600w HPS: 1.5 foot
1000w HPS: 2 foot
End Quote

But if I go 2', I'm going to cook my babies. So, I think I'm fine for the moment and will watch for stretching.

And as for hours 24/0 vs 18/6, here is the link I found:
How many hours of light do I need for veg growth?

In brief, it does say most growers now-a-days use 24/0. And many journals I read had 24/0 for a time at least, but usually with CFLs. I'm going to keep them at 24/0 for a time and see how it goes unless someone comes up with some real good reason I should change them now.

Just thinking to myself I guess! EEK!!! :peace:

Back
Top Bottom