1st Journal - Unknown Strain - DWC - 400W MH/HPS

Re: 1st Journal - unknown strain, DWC, 400w MH/HPS

Thanks for all of the help. I'm heading to the grow store to buy the product. One more question - these girls are in hempy buckets. Can I flush them in-container? I really don't want to expose the roots and stress the plants again. How much flushing should I perform?

Appreciate the assistance.. will read through your grows tonight.

-Ty

I checked on the girls this morning before leaving to work. Sorry, but no pics because my camera phone has a busted lens. The taller one still is purple from the base of the stalk all the way through the leaves. The others are varying degrees of purple. The leaves are less curled but not erect. All four plants show new leaf growth. I want to do more to fix them but my gut is telling me to simply leave them alone for a couple more days. When I did the flush Sunday afternoon I poured out some of the water from the "hempy reservoir". My thought was that if root rot was the culprit then allowing them more damp media would be preferable over standing water. I hope I was on the right track.

Canopy temps are 75-78 degrees, 400W MH on high,

Thanks to everyone for taking time to look, comment, and assist. Who knew growing a weed would prove to be so challenging! :)

I checked again on the girls. It is a mixed bag.. they are all showing new growth but they all are curling and show purple stems. I think the issue may have something to do with my water. I am on a well and everything goes through a water softener. Some posts seem to indicate that softened water can cause problems like this. So I picked up some drinking water from the store. I adjusted the ph and added light nutes. I gave them a good flush and then drained most of the water from the hempy reservoir.

ill report back in a couple days. hopefully I found the core issue. I need to water test to know for sure, but feel pretty good about isolating my water to a known good source.

Finally a bit of better news. I stabilized the temps in the grow tent to the 75-80 degree range. After a couple of days with the "store water", I saw better response in the leaves but the purple stems were rampant on all plants. I flushed the hempys this morning with a 25% nute solution with a 1/2 dilution of the supervitimans - PH is 5.5. Each day I have sprayed them with this same solution. I also sprinkled some Dolomite on the top of the media before watering.

With a couple of hours the base of the stems changed from purple to normal. In some of the upper regions of the stem the purple began to streak with normal color. It has now been 6 hours and the stems continue to show progress.

Here is a close-up on one of the stems before adding in dolomite
IMG_45592.JPG

"Lil Bushy" is filling out and getting her color back. The MH light washes out the color.. she is really getting green again.
IMG_45672.JPG

This shows some green color returning to the stem
IMG_45621.JPG

There is a lot of new growth even through the arduous week. I bet it is a lot less growth than I would have seen had the plants not hit health issues, but I am thankful that they appear to be on the mend. Since I irrigated today I will probably not water them until Monday. When I do I want to return to full Veg-Nute regimens. Is it too soon?

A big thanks to everyone for the support and advice. I think the hardest part was leaving them alone to heal after I did all I could. I kept wanting to fix them!

-Ty

Well, the ladies had one helluva week. Since my last post the stems looked like they were recovering but I was the one who was trippin. I should have bought the Cal-Mg a long time ago. So last Monday when things are looking bleak I decide that I better take some clones in case things don't recover. So I took 18 clippings and set them in rockwool with rooting hormones. Im sure I screwed that up but apparently the lady babies are toughing it out because they appear to be hanging on.

Here is a shot of them tonight on day 4.
IMG_45772.JPG

I setup a new home for them using a seedling tray and some Dixie / hempy cups.
IMG_45782.JPG

Underneath that tray is a little mini grow tent which will be the nursery for the little girls.

So last night I got the Cal-Mg and setup my next feeding. After adding a little SuperThrive and 1/2 concentration of nutes, I went with a "heavy" dose of Cal-Mg.. Then adjusted down to 5.3 PH. I can say with conviction that the plants like it. ALSO.. NO MORE SPIDER MITES!!! :yahoo:

"lil Bushy" is really filling out and some of the brown tips are fading back to green.
IMG_45792.JPG

Here is one of her leaves exhibiting the recovery:
IMG_45803.JPG

The rear two are showing some growth but still recovering:
IMG_45811.JPG

..and
IMG_45823.JPG

the last one in the front is pretty stunted. I think the roots need more recovery time.
IMG_45681.JPG

but things are moving the right direction. I really appreciate all of the assistance from this community. It is clear to me that the ladies would have been in an early grave without the support. I decided to put an order in for Blue Planet Nutes. So many here think so highly of them it makes sense for me to switch over as I move toward flowing stage.

Speaking of.. When the clones are settled into the hempys I think I am going to go straight into flower. Taking cues from 420fied and others I think it may be the way to go. I am looking forward to a little sea of green in my 4x4 tent.

Last thing... my seed order arrived!!! :tommy: I now have the following feminized beans:

(5) Barney's Vanilla Kush
(1) Blim-Burn Tijuana
(1) Blim-Burn Mango

IMG_4586.JPG

I ordered the Kush and got the others along for the ride.. and a really crappy wallet. Anyway.. I will open up the voting for two days. Sunday evening I plan to plant one of the beans based on your votes. My preference is to practice with one of the freebies because I really want to do the Kush right because of the pain relief capabilities. But... if this crew thinks I have figured out enough to crack one of the prize beans then I will.

Cheers!
-Ty

Things are looking better! There are still some patches of yellow, but in general they are getting healthier. I found some really nice replacement pots at the dollar store. They look like they are about 7 quarts - considerably larger than the existing ones. When I transitioned two of the girls over, their roots were pure white and encompassed the pot. They looked very healthy. :high-five:

I mixed up two gallons of nutes. I am upping the concentration of the GH Gro solution. 2tsp per gallon. The table says I can go as high as three, but want to work up to it. I also added one 1tsp per gallon of Cal-MG. Also, I am using well water which bypasses the water softener. It seems like the Cal-Mg drops the PH significantly.

It took some PH Up to get it near the 5.2 range.
IMG_45895.JPG

Here is a shot of the pots.. these things are really nice for a buck! They are flexible enough not to crack but still opaque and strong. Not bad for a buck! I used a 3/8" drill bit for the hole. Perlite / Vermiculite mix at 4:1.
IMG_45902.JPG

This girl is getting happier..
IMG_45911.JPG

"Lil Bushy" is filling out nicely.
IMG_45931.JPG

Here is a shot of all four. I jacked up the light a few clicks tonight.
IMG_45951.JPG

One of the many leaves making a recovery. It is hard to express how different the color change is for her! :thumb:

To Cultivator, thanks for helping. I hope you stick around - your input is very appreciated! :thanks: To Toke and the others, thanks too!

Finally - I still plan to crack a seed. What will it be? You decide. :ciao:

Lots of changes in the last couple of weeks. For starters, I built a cloner and ordered some Blue Planet Nutrients. I applied the 1st dose last night. The stuff is SOOOOOOOOOO much better to work with than GH nutes. I cant wait to see how they work on the ladies. :thumb:

okay, 1st thing 1st... I popped a couple of seeds. One Vanilla Kush and a Blimburn Tijuana. I would open a new journal for those but I dont want to manage all of the typing so they will stay here until I decide how they will go. I planted them in dirt with the goal that they would be "mothers".

Here is the little girl on her birthday last week:
IMG_46282.JPG

And here she is tonight 6 days old.
IMG_4640.JPG

Here is the BB Tijuana. Sorry it is out of focus
IMG_4641.JPG

I took some clones a couple weeks back when the girls were having trouble. Most of them died, but some made it through. Here is one of them from last week:
IMG_46293.JPG

Out of the 8 I clipped, it looks like four of them will make it. Here is a shot of them as of tonight..
IMG_4642.JPG

Now.. on to the girls.. The growth has been nothing short of amazing! I lowered them from the shelf level down to the floor.
IMG_46441.JPG

Here is a shot of everything..
IMG_46432.JPG

I decided to put the ladies into two more weeks of growth before flipping the lights. My nutes solution is 10/10/10 for them, and 2.5/2.5/2.5 for the clones and seedlings.

Well, that is all for now. Things are definitely taking a better direction. If the next batch of clones are successful, I'll put together a "el-cheapo cloner" tutorial. I want to make sure it works first though!

Cheers!
Ty

Hi all

Well tonight was the flip. I plan to leave them in total darkness until Friday night. Here they are pre-transition.
IMG_46713.JPG

I moved the seedlings into another room and repotted the clones. I plan to take the clones into flower along with the four originals.

Here is a shot of the seedlings in their new "temporary" home. We are ordering a 4' T5 light to brighten up the space.
IMG_46763.JPG

Here is a shot of some second cuttings and other plants. Take note of the tomatoes. They were seeds about 3.5 weeks ago. Yes, BPN works on them too.
IMG_46772.JPG

Now on to the grow tent. I re-arranged it to make room for the four clones. I also routed the hempy holes to drain through tubes which run underneath the platform. This will save me lots of hassle emptying the pot trays.
IMG_46813.JPG

I mixed up a batch of Blue Planet Nutrients "Transition" mode. The ladies drank two gallons!

In other news, my cheap-cloner hit 100% success rate! Ill post a tutorial on it.
IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_46801.JPG

Last thing.. Let me know if you are reading this. I love sharing the experience, but it has been a while since someone left a comment.

Cheers!
Ty

Thanks for the feedback, Joker.

Well I flipped. However my job took me away so Friday morning I could not make the switch. I cutover this morning which meant the ladies were in the dark for over 50 hours! :yikes: When the lights came on this morning the tops of the new growth were yellowed, but the rest of the plants looked like they weathered the downtime well. Sorry about no pics, but my hands were full and didnt remember to grab the camera.

However, I do have an update on the plants in the veg room.. The new mothers are exploding! Just look at the growth difference in two days (compare to the pics from above).

Vanilla Kush
IMG_46831.JPG

Blimburn Tijuana
IMG_46853.JPG

The rockwool clones are pulling through, but look really stressed. These were a "control group test" in order to determine if my cheap-cloner was time well spent. I had some extra cuttings and planted them from the same batch which went into the cloner.
IMG_4686-001.JPG

Now compare them to the cloner cuttings - to me there is no reason to use rockwool in the future! :high-five:
IMG_46871.JPG

IMG_46881.JPG

Note that I am placing two cuttings per neoprene disk. Was not sure why everyone goes 1:1 on these, and it seemed like a great way to double my yield. So far it appears to work. I will redesign the spray next round though.. I think small water droplets and better "misting" will make for more uniform roots.

Well all for now.
Cheers!

Really nice to see someone putting in so much work to look after the lady in their life. :goodjob: Not enough of it now a days if you ask me. :bravo:

Looks like you have been through some tough times with a steep learning curve. You are now coming out the other side and things are looking good.

I'm subbed for this one, many people stumble when things don't work or go their way. Not you, you stuck it out and now, look at the rewards so far.

:thumb: :Namaste:

Mono :peace:

Back
Top Bottom