1st Tent

I have purchased my first tent. I bought a 2’3” x 2’3 x 5’3” and I already see it’s a bit short & small. To equip, I have an ac infinity t6, mars ts 1000, with a 6” ak-rhino filter. So far I have added a small bottle fed humidifier and clip fan. The t5 won’t arrive until next week.

For my first run I decided to go with autos and chose FB orange sherbet. germed in paper towels, popped in 1.5 days. This morning I put in soil and added to the tent. For pots I am using 12 liter root bags, probably a bit big? For soil I am using a local potting soil designed for raised beds and pots, I added to the 40 liters, 15lbs of worm castings, aprox 20 liters of last year’s soil, .5 cup epsom salts, and mixed with roughly 15% pearlite.

I have set up my light at 36” and reduced the power to 50% at least until they break ground. Is this correct? I am open to any suggestions or advice towards setup and/or grow. I am a novice at indoor.

Thank you.

GT.jpg

I have purchased my first tent. I bought a 2’3” x 2’3 x 5’3” and I already see it’s a bit short & small. To equip, I have an ac infinity t6, mars ts 1000, with a 6” ak-rhino filter. So far I have added a small bottle fed humidifier and clip fan. The t5 won’t arrive until next week.

For my first run I decided to go with autos and chose FB orange sherbet. germed in paper towels, popped in 1.5 days. This morning I put in soil and added to the tent. For pots I am using 12 liter root bags, probably a bit big? For soil I am using a local potting soil designed for raised beds and pots, I added to the 40 liters, 15lbs of worm castings, aprox 20 liters of last year’s soil, .5 cup epsom salts, and mixed with roughly 15% pearlite.

I have set up my light at 36” and reduced the power to 50% at least until they break ground. Is this correct? I am open to any suggestions or advice towards setup and/or grow. I am a novice at indoor.

Thank you.

GT.jpg
Yes for the most part. Just make sure you water only the center of pot. Use a spray bottle . You gotta baby them for a week or so. Misting the soil multiple times a day depending on humidity. Check out my current grow. I germinate this way and have 5 going now this very method. Best of luck

There are tons of tent grows in the journals check out what they are doing and do what u are able no need to reinvent the wheel. Good light, Good water, Temp control are the biggies that you need to control first of all without these three being correct your buds will always in one way or the other be inferior to what you could grow to potential.

Hey, bud.

At first glance, you went waaay too big with the equipment for that size a tent.

Lights:

Those are good for a 2.5x2.5 or 3x3 max coverage area (which you'd think it's perfect for a 2.5 tent), but keep in mind that your plants should not touch the sides, so with this light and that tent you're gonna either waste good light and space or cramp your girls causing stretching, possibly some stress, and still waste light. You're also gonna have heat and humidity issues either way.

Lights needs to be off until they come out of the ground, but you need to keep an eye on the temp. If the soil gets too cold they are not gonna sprout.

Exhaust fan:

Nice one, but definitely overkill for that space. To put it in numbers, you have just under 27ft3 of air in that tent, that fan has an airflow of 402 ft3/min, so you put those numbers together and all the air in the tent is being removed 15 times per minute, or 900 times an hour.
It's ok, though, just keep it out of the tent and vent the exhaust as far away as you can, preferably outside.

Pots:

Def too big, max 7lt for that tent.

Soil:

I grow hydro so my knowledge on soil is somewhat limited, however, one thing you should never do is use old/used soil. I'd advice against using soil altogether and go with another medium, there's a bunch to choose from.

The thing about soil is that you have no idea what's in it (regarding nutrients) or how it's going to perform and affect growth down the road.

You didn't mention what nutrients you plan on using, this is very important as a lot of them are medium-specific.

Also, soil is not clean (specially that last year's soil you mentioned), and is very likely to have eggs or larvae and that could get out of hand and ruin everything FAST.

Flushing is also going to be hard.

Other thoughts and tips:

That clip fan you have for moving air around, it's going to be counter productive if you put it on top and pushing air down (it's gonna push hot air from the light down on the girls). Place it near or on the floor and at around 45⁰.

This is another reason why you need side clearance.

The humidifier is totally being wasted since you'll be removing many many times the total volume per minute of air with the t6 (mentioned above). Also you have no need for it at this point and for a while, if ever.

Go with fem for your next cycle. Most new growers go with autos for their first try because of their 'simplicity', but with that simplicity comes lack of control, and actually cost more to grow with far less yields. I'll elaborate.

Since autos don't use light to regulate their cycles, you have no control over how they will grow, i.e. how tall they get, and can't really use conventional trimming techniques (FIM, topping, defoliating, etc).
This is going to be a problem for you because you don't enough vertical space and most likely the tops will grow too close to the light. Side clearance is also going to be an issue for you as they girls will most likely cram against the side causing more stretching and too much shade under the canopy and this is a whole other issue you're gonna have to deal with.
Even for only 3 plants, space is gonna be an issue.

And the reason why they are more expensive to grow is because unlike fem, that need 12/12 during flower, autos need 20+ hours throughout (most if not all growers go with 24), so in the end you're keeping your lights on twice as long and your yields will not be better.

I think I covered all I could at this point but if you have more questions or concerns, feel free to ask, that's why we're here.

Happy growing, eveybody!!

Hey, bud.

At first glance, you went waaay too big with the equipment for that size a tent.

Lights:

Those are good for a 2.5x2.5 or 3x3 max coverage area (which you'd think it's perfect for a 2.5 tent), but keep in mind that your plants should not touch the sides, so with this light and that tent you're gonna either waste good light and space or cramp your girls causing stretching, possibly some stress, and still waste light. You're also gonna have heat and humidity issues either way.

Lights needs to be off until they come out of the ground, but you need to keep an eye on the temp. If the soil gets too cold they are not gonna sprout.

Exhaust fan:

Nice one, but definitely overkill for that space. To put it in numbers, you have just under 27ft3 of air in that tent, that fan has an airflow of 402 ft3/min, so you put those numbers together and all the air in the tent is being removed 15 times per minute, or 900 times an hour.
It's ok, though, just keep it out of the tent and vent the exhaust as far away as you can, preferably outside.

Pots:

Def too big, max 7lt for that tent.

Soil:

I grow hydro so my knowledge on soil is somewhat limited, however, one thing you should never do is use old/used soil. I'd advice against using soil altogether and go with another medium, there's a bunch to choose from.

The thing about soil is that you have no idea what's in it (regarding nutrients) or how it's going to perform and affect growth down the road.

You didn't mention what nutrients you plan on using, this is very important as a lot of them are medium-specific.

Also, soil is not clean (specially that last year's soil you mentioned), and is very likely to have eggs or larvae and that could get out of hand and ruin everything FAST.

Flushing is also going to be hard.

Other thoughts and tips:

That clip fan you have for moving air around, it's going to be counter productive if you put it on top and pushing air down (it's gonna push hot air from the light down on the girls). Place it near or on the floor and at around 45⁰.

This is another reason why you need side clearance.

The humidifier is totally being wasted since you'll be removing many many times the total volume per minute of air with the t6 (mentioned above). Also you have no need for it at this point and for a while, if ever.

Go with fem for your next cycle. Most new growers go with autos for their first try because of their 'simplicity', but with that simplicity comes lack of control, and actually cost more to grow with far less yields. I'll elaborate.

Since autos don't use light to regulate their cycles, you have no control over how they will grow, i.e. how tall they get, and can't really use conventional trimming techniques (FIM, topping, defoliating, etc).
This is going to be a problem for you because you don't enough vertical space and most likely the tops will grow too close to the light. Side clearance is also going to be an issue for you as they girls will most likely cram against the side causing more stretching and too much shade under the canopy and this is a whole other issue you're gonna have to deal with.
Even for only 3 plants, space is gonna be an issue.

And the reason why they are more expensive to grow is because unlike fem, that need 12/12 during flower, autos need 20+ hours throughout (most if not all growers go with 24), so in the end you're keeping your lights on twice as long and your yields will not be better.

I think I covered all I could at this point but if you have more questions or concerns, feel free to ask, that's why we're here.

Happy growing, eveybody!!
Hello Rodrigo, I appreciate the help and advice. I agree, there are alot of variables that go into set up, and that the tent will get crowded.

As far as the T6 extraction, I knew the volumes going in, and have it set up where it never goes higher than speed setting 2 of 10 and set the humidity and temp accordingly. In this way the fan dumps both heat and humidity very well. The humidifier is hardly needed now that I can fully water, the bags give off good humidity. Tonight at lights on they will get their 3rd full watering. I move the clip fan around as needed. Ironically I use it mostly from the top/center bar and bounce air off the side walls downward. It does move heat around, for me its better than having stagnant hot air.

I am using a European 3 part I l use outside, Adv/Hyd as well as a natural growth stimulater/booster that is local to my area. I am happy with the progress so far. Here are a few pics at day 19, first restraints. Today is day 21 and they are moving along. I am happy so far.

Thank you for the info and support. Wishing you a happy grow.

Enjoy!

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

Back
Top Bottom