1st Time Cultivator

:tokin:
whats happening everyone?.. new to the forum and growing in general, i've been smoking since i was younger and now that im 25 today, i am actually wising up enough to start growing my own pot, that way i not only get some really good smoke for cheap, but i know exactly whats going in it and i can hook up my friends in the process.

I'm currently using a 3'X3'X8' food pantry as a grow space, i have a 600 watt MH/HPS lumatec ballast with a hydrofarm radiant6 hood with 6" exhaust ports and a 150cfm inline fan to cool the light along with a home made carbon filter for when things start to get stinky... the strain i am growing is D.P. Blue berry which is a 70+ day strain (kinda wish i had picked a 2nd 30-40 day strain to grow with it that way id have some smoke sooner, but its all good, it'll be worth the wait) today is the 2nd day in flower and i've noticed something odd with a few of the leaves, it kinda looks like a mold but based on searches i've made i believe it's a magnesium defficeincy but really wanted to double check with some of you experts for the help.

the older fan leaves are displaying a discoloration in between the veins, the leave are soft and not brittle, and the veins stay green while the spots between the veins change color and are splotchy.
here are some pics:
IMG_15634.JPG
IMG_15643.JPG
IMG_15662.JPG
IMG_15683.JPG
IMG_15693.JPG
IMG_15723.JPG
IMG_15766.JPG
IMG_15734.JPG
IMG_15572.JPG
notice veins stay green.

Too much Nitrogen maybe, but good chance it is the water, tap water? What are you feeding this one? What kind of soil, where are you getting the water supply?
Regards, Deacn

Too much Nitrogen maybe, but good chance it is the water, tap water? What are you feeding this one? What kind of soil, where are you getting the water supply?
Regards, Deacn

wow i completely forgot to mention any of that, haha might help a little in the diagnosis haha..

its a deep water culture system, i am running tap water, ph straight out of faucit is 6.6, then after adding botanicares "pro bloom" (using botanicares feeding schedual, currently 1st week of flower) i test and r ballance my ph to 6.3-6.5.

i just ordered a hanna multi pen meter so ill be able ot test my ppm, right now i have no clue what its at.

also picked up botanicares:
Hydroplex
liquid karma
calmag
clearex
sweet
humic acid (for pulling out the blues and lavenders during final phase of flush)

will be getting these items in a few days.

there has been very minimal leaf burn on older fan leaves towards end of 6week veg cycle.. maybe 3% of plants total leaves had the burnt tips, very minimal... but here in the first week of flower, after switching over to bloom opposed to grow i noticed the development of this discoloration.

i also thought it might be a high nitrogen, but when i read all conditions for both high nitrogen and then lack of magnesium, i felt more of the magnesium conditions were present. i could be wrong though, like i said its my first grow so not sure if these plants are growing sluggishly compared to a plant with normal or healthy nitrogen levels...

idk.. what you guys think???:popcorn:

You may want to consider an RO filter to remove chlorine and Chloramine from your tap water. There are also other benefits to running RO water in your system. this is also beneficial for controlling ppm, knowing that after it comes out of the RO filter its close to 0. the water store where I currently get my water is 6ppm with a ph of 6.7.

You may want to consider an RO filter to remove chlorine and Chloramine from your tap water. There are also other benefits to running RO water in your system. this is also beneficial for controlling ppm, knowing that after it comes out of the RO filter its close to 0. the water store where I currently get my water is 6ppm with a ph of 6.7.

Really?!, yeah ive heard this once before briefly but didnt think much of it cuz i cant afford a ro system yet. Had no idea u could purchase it from the store. Where do u get urs?

It looks like heat stress and maybe ph out of whack, and/or possibly root rot. However, you'll have to start trouble shooting your plant in a specific way, helps with future grows and figuring out what is wrong with your plant. First is temperature in line? With res if using hydro as well. Is your ph at the right spot? Nutrients been given in proper timing and proportion? Insects a problem? Any other outside variable that could effect your plant? Start running through a checklist like that and it will make things ten times easier.

:goodjob: Problem Solver for Cannabis Check this link out.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks!.... yeah im going threw the motions, just waiting on my new multi meter so i know where my ppm's lie.. i do know that my ph is fine and has been since day one, i check that every morning, the 400 hps was sitting roughly 16''s above canopy so i raised it to 20 and plants seem to like it better, lots of grow, huge root mass, fills entire 5 gallon pale.. will take pics in morning, lights were out by the time i got home so couldnt do anything... i've been feeding by the recommended dosages on the bottles and feed once every week with new water and do a 3 day flush every month with clean ph'd water at 6.5 and using clearx (a salt leaching additive by botanicare)
once i get that meter though im def going to be fine tuning everything.
oh tight, temperature reach 85 max with 49% humidity, then for a low its 62 with 29% humidity, plenty of air circulation, vented hood, clean sterile environment and no insects that i can see or have noticed on or around the plants/ house.

gonna take pics and make an update in the am when i get home from work, plants looking better, today was first day of 2nd week in the 12/12 cycle, still no signs of pistils, but there feminized seeds so im waiting in anticipation...
update you all soon

here it is:

as far as the leaves go i think it might have been a combination of things and not just one thing in general.
1. light was raised 6 inches from 14 to 20 inches above canopy. much better now.
2. using tap water, potential chlorine killing beneficials.
3. i was only using a fertilizer and nothing else so plants were lacking in some areas, now im using a botanicare line up of:

Liquid Karma: bio-catalyst plant stimulant has active organic compounds not found in regular plant foods or supplements. These compounds act as regulatory signals, activators or catalysts producing synchronized and accelerated growth under all conditions.

CalMag : A custom designed, highly beneficial calcium, magnesium, iron and trace mineral plant nutrient supplement that helps with calcium, magnesium and iron deficiencies in nutrient fertilizer programs.

Clearex: A common cause of crop failure can be traced to the buildup of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media. High salt concentrations in the soil solution cause a shrinkage of plant cell protoplasm away from the cell wall as a result of osmosis. This condition, known as plasmolysis, can eventually lead to irreversible wilting.

Sweet Citrus: A custom designed, highly beneficial calcium, magnesium, iron and trace mineral plant nutrient supplement that helps with calcium, magnesium and iron deficiencies in nutrient fertilizer programs.

Hydroplex: It contains optimum levels of potassium and phosphorus to encourage rapid bud formation and amplified flower size. In addition, Hydroplex contains a vast array of essential amino acids involved in the transfer of ribonucleic acids (t-RNAs) and DNA synthesis; high potency vitamins; and a wide range of trace minerals.

(all at recommended dosages)

day 8 of 12/12, white healthy root structure, fills about 85% of 5 gal bucket.
IMG02348-20110510-08521.jpg

^^^^^
IMG_15773.JPG

day 8 of 12/12, used topping method along with low stress to get more light to lower portions of plant.
IMG02353-20110510-0855.jpg

^^^^^
IMG02351-20110510-0855.jpg

so many tops
IMG02352-20110510-0855.jpg

day 8 of 12/12, first signs of sex, notice the small white pistils. very nice!!
IMG_15827.JPG

^^^^^
IMG_15836.JPG

^^^^^
IMG_15816.JPG

:morenutes: BLUEBERRY :tokin:

an RO filter will be good, you will need some calmag when you start using it... Seems like you are running your PH range for soil, you need to drop into the low low 6's and let her drift down to the high 5's, I think the target PH for hydro is around 5.8

an RO filter will be good, you will need some calmag when you start using it... Seems like you are running your PH range for soil, you need to drop into the low low 6's and let her drift down to the high 5's, I think the target PH for hydro is around 5.8
awesome thats good to know, they do have very slight tip burn still so ill have to adjust that. thanks. still waiting on the ph meter..

Re: 1st time cultivator, need help

Quote:
its a deep water culture system, i am running tap water, ph straight out of faucit is 6.6, then after adding botanicares "pro bloom" (using botanicares feeding schedual, currently 1st week of flower) i test and r ballance my ph to 6.3-6.5.

You should adjust your pH down into the 5.8 range for a DWC set up. You are locking out a lot (most) of your nutes if you're in the 6.5 range. Bookmark this link:
Plant Abuse Chart
It will be a good resource for the future. It looks like you have several things going on all at once, you may have a heat issue or under watering as well based on the edges of the leaves turning up (but with DWC you really can't underwater).

I would suggest cutting your tap water at least in half with R/O or distilled. Make sure you're aerating the water before adding it to remove chlorine or chloramines (maybe by a filter for the faucet, for both you and the plants). Get your pH into the 5.8 range and you should see some improvement.

one of my babies had these all over, i pulled about 15 to 30, i think i got them all off this one plant (other plant is fine, female, no ball sacks) i really dont want to kill her or it cuz i have all this yeild tied up into two plants so i loose half and i really dont want to do that!!.. how often/ aggressive do male pollen sacs grow?
IMG_15855.JPG
IMG_15875.JPG

uhoh on the pollens man, if youve got the some cash maybe you want to pick up some dutch master reverse along with their penetration product, its like 40 bucks total and from what i understand it will get rid of the male chromosomes. This is how the produce seedless watermelon among other things. google it

uhoh on the pollens man, if youve got the some cash maybe you want to pick up some dutch master reverse along with their penetration product, its like 40 bucks total and from what i understand it will get rid of the male chromosomes. This is how the produce seedless watermelon among other things. google it

REALLY?!.... i hope your not pulling my leg cuz ive been prayin all morning for someone to come along and say hey try this haha.. thats awesome!
if this is for real thank you!... i will be keep u posted.

REALLY?!.... i hope your not pulling my leg cuz ive been prayin all morning for someone to come along and say hey try this haha.. thats awesome!
if this is for real thank you!... i will be keep u posted.

i dont have personal experience with the product itself but a while back someone came along and told me that my recently purchased feminized seeds have a 0-20% chance of becoming herm, with this in mind i started researching possible ways to counteract hermies whether pollen sacks or seeds, considering i only bought 1 or 2 seeds of each strain i wanted.

Apparently this product interrupts and eliminates any traces of the male chromosome in a given plant. According to independent resources even clones taken off from a herm plant can be sprayed with the reverse and penetrate to eliminate the possibility of any of the clones or clones of the clones to become herm ever again.

Google shopping has both the reverse and penetrate, try it out, let me know, i have a pineapple express clone that has herm'd out for everyone else that has ever had it before me and i would like to bud it someday lol

Mate, one of your babies is a male - unless I misunderstood and you have a hermaphrodite there. Still, if there are so many pollen sacks, no matter what the rest looks like, kill it with fire.

I really mean so. What you risk is the other half of your crop, one is already lost. "It's a man, baby", to quote Austin Powers.

Males have so little potency and pose such a danger to the - hopefully - sinsemilla half of your crop that you need to get rid of them a.s.a.p.

Do you want the rest of your crop to consist solely of seeds (don't forget about the pain to clean your grow room afterwards or else the next crop will be seeded as well)?

If even one of these pods has already opened and released its pollen, there will be enough in the air to pollinate your female over and over. When handling male pollen sacks, spray them with water before removing them - I really hope you did that.

Tl;dr: Pull the male completely, save what is to be saved of your female. If things turn shite, save the seeds, clean your room and start over. Good luck!

Mate, one of your babies is a male - unless I misunderstood and you have a hermaphrodite there. Still, if there are so many pollen sacks, no matter what the rest looks like, kill it with fire.

I really mean so. What you risk is the other half of your crop, one is already lost. "It's a man, baby", to quote Austin Powers.

Males have so little potency and pose such a danger to the - hopefully - sinsemilla half of your crop that you need to get rid of them a.s.a.p.

Do you want the rest of your crop to consist solely of seeds (don't forget about the pain to clean your grow room afterwards or else the next crop will be seeded as well)?

If even one of these pods has already opened and released its pollen, there will be enough in the air to pollinate your female over and over. When handling male pollen sacks, spray them with water before removing them - I really hope you did that.

Tl;dr: Pull the male completely, save what is to be saved of your female. If things turn shite, save the seeds, clean your room and start over. Good luck!

yeah its a shitty situation!, they where/ are both females but one of those two plants def hermed on me... it has buds everywhere on the plant and then i found those 15 to 30 fledgling pollen sacs.. i did spray them down with water first but only because i was spraying the plants down when i noticed them. at this very moment all the pollen sacs are gone, ive spent 3 hours last night checking and double checking each and every god damn node and bud site on that plant. with tweezers mind you haha...
i also ordered some of that reverse, seeing how there were so few sac compared to size of plants im going to try and sit this one threw... but it all depends on how fast and how many pollen sacs continue to grow.. will keep everyone up to date.

The diagnosis on my end of the trouble in the photos is classic o2 def that is affecting p uptake... you said its Deep Water... so what you could do it get some miracle grow soil pull her out of the water, drop her into a pot, dump loose soil on her and water lightly until she turns around in like 3 weeks. then run 1 in soil.

Now that you know of the Hermie... rip it out and garbage disposal that freaky-diekie

The diagnosis on my end of the trouble in the photos is classic o2 def that is affecting p uptake... you said its Deep Water... so what you could do it get some miracle grow soil pull her out of the water, drop her into a pot, dump loose soil on her and water lightly until she turns around in like 3 weeks. then run 1 in soil.

Now that you know of the Hermie... rip it out and garbage disposal that freaky-diekie

yeah looking for another way to go about solving that issue, ever since i made a few changes listed in my grow journal (link below) those leaf issues have been solved, no more crazy sun burnt looking leaves.

i chose d.w.c. because of its benefits over soil grows, my original plan was to go with an ebb and flow system but when i did a little research d.w.c. was far more affordable with same/ better results!, (of course you have to be on top of your shit to make it work, gotta be in your garden every day monitoring water levels, temps, ph and ppm, but in my opinion from all the grows that i've seen soiless grows are faster and have the potential for bigger yields.

as far as the hermie goes, its' still in the grow rm, i've spent 1/2 hour each day (since i found pods) checking plants for any new pod development and there have been non so far, so as long as i can continue with this 1/2 hour a day to sweep over the plant and not be overwhelmed with pods then i will keep it up, otherwise i will transplant outside (depending on weather) and just take whatever quantity of bud i can off it. wont be the first time ive picked seeds out of my pot and prob wont be the last! but at least i know exactly what went into these plants, where they originated and where they'll end up... in my bowl hahaha :yummy:
so as far as separating the hermie from my true female plant, I AGREE 100%!!! but killing it?? fuck that, thats potential yeild. i mean fuck i only got 2 plants i wont throw away half my product just for a few seeds. thats a waste of time, money and perfectly good smoke! plus i could sell seeds to friends if i wanted.. see any and every situation in life can be flipped to a positive ;)

next time i will be investing my time in growing more plants that are smaller in size to produce the same yeild as these two plants, that way if one does decide to go south i'll loose a smaller fraction of my grow opposed to HALF... oh well, we all live and we learn =D

p.s. these wouldnt be the easiest roots systems to get soil around anyways these things are fucken solid!! check it out..

IMG02348-20110510-08521.jpg

^^^^^
IMG_15773.JPG

haha, transplanting isnt the best option, the plants would have no stability...

Back
Top Bottom