1st Time Grower w/Lowryder

I think the discoloration could possibly be natural course of life. As the plant fills out its buds, it draws nutrients from the larger fan leaves, and they fade. I could be wrong. I, too, am a first time grower. I HAVE read an ass-load of material on the subject though, and I also have a general background in flowers/vegetables from my landscaping days (which are still under-way).

Basically just take it all in stride. If the leaves are towards the bottom of the plant, and the buds dont seem to be affected, I wouldnt worry about it. These are mighty plants; Im pretty sure in most cases you have to actively kill them for them to die. Keep watering, make sure the pH is right, and pass good vibes onto them.

I would agree/confirm this!!! Bravo for the research man.

Older/lower fan leaves usually yellow and fall off.

Looking very good OY. Won't be long now.

Sf

PatrizioD & StinkFinger - Thanks for the insight. I didn't think leaves would look like that when they started eating themselves. It's so nice to have people who are experienced with growing there to help the newbies. Would not have been able to get this far without the great 420 community.

The trichs are filling in nicely, and have probably doubled in the last 24-48 hours. Since I am new to growing and understanding the importance of trichomes (other than saying "damn look at those crystals" on nice buds), I plan on harvesting one of the plants before they get amber colored and waiting on the other one until they are 75%+ amber colored. Growing my own has made me want to become a connoisseur, and I can't imagine a better way to do it on my own.

Starting the flushing schedule today, wish me luck.

Hello again,

been trying to sit on my hands and not pick any or harvest too early. Seem to have done a good job so far, but I have run into a problem with one of the plants. On my stubby plant I have about 3-4 inches of bud at the top. Not sure if the term cola is appropriate or not, since is is auto-fem Lowryder. But in the middle of the bud mass is a brown dried out splotch. Don't think it is mold, as I thought I read it was a lighter shade. I had planned on harvesting this weekend, but if I have to do it sooner to save the bud, I would gladly do so. Can someone take a look at the pictures that follow and try to diagnose what it is? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the main picture. Its about 1-2 inches long and half and inch to an inch tall.
Brown_SPlotch.jpg

There is also up-turned leaves that extend from the damaged areas. I measured pH and it came back at a 7.1, so it is a little high but not bad at all. Any ideas?
Splotch_2.jpg

Thanks for looking at my journal,

OperaYak

After some searching I found the culprit to be bud rot. Was pretty sick looking, almost like a spider wed inside a large chunk of the cola. Very damp, I even saw some sitting water on spots. Evidently comes from bad ventilation, which was something I was a little worried about. As the the grow was in my closet, and the doors were only open maybe 4 hours a day. On my next grow I have devised a plan to include a fan in there to make sure there is some circulation of air going on.

Was kicking myself in the ass over the issue, but once I got to sleep (after trimming the bud in the wee hours last night) I decided it was an easy mistake to make on the first grow. I will be determined to not let it happen again, as it took out about 1/5 of the main cola. I saw someone's signature say "The more you know, the more you grow". I couldn't think of a more apt way of putting it.

Here are some pics of the bud rot for future reference for anyone who might come across it. Hopefully my error will help someone else down the line.

Here is the main bud before trimming (bud rot not shown):
Whole_Bud_2.jpg

Here is the main infestation of rot, extended up the branch another 1-2 inches:
Main_Rot_2.jpg

Here is what the typical bud looked like with the rot affecting it:
Bud_Rot_2.jpg

And so as not to end on a bad note, here is a picture of some of the trichs that were on the good side of the plant:
Trichs_2.jpg

So in closing this post, sorry for all the pictures but I had a hard time finding good pictures of the rot in the forums. I don't have a measuring device of any sort but from my naked eye I would say I was able to salvage about 2 ounces wet, hoping for around a half once its dried. Still have my tall plant going strong with no signs of the rot affecting it, and feels heavier than this one affected by rot. Once it all dries I will be back with a smoke report, and a final post.

Thanks for checking out my journal, and feedback is appreciated,

OperaYak

Thanks for sharing your grow with us and sorry for your loss!

I'm moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sending you lots of positive energy through the Universe.

Back
Top Bottom