1st time noob grower in a slimy situation

Pewterdude73

Hi all. Hope everyones having a very happy healthy grow. Title says it all...almost. Running a RDWC that started as a coco grow. Kept the plants in coco for longer than I should have. When I inherited the clones from a buddy I noticed a few bugs flying around that I would later identify as fungus gnats. Didnt really think they were a big deal since there were only a couple of them. I now blame them for my brown somewhat unhealthy roots. I started to treat my roots with a hydrogen peroxide dousing which had little effect. From there I moved onto concentrated neem extract that I diluted and sprayed directly on my roots. No go. Next up was "Garden Safe" Houseplant & Garden Insect Killer, its active/effective ingrediant is pyrethrins. This stuff seems to work temporarily but I dont think it is getting the eggs or larvae because today I saw a couple fly out from two of the four netpots I have. Well because I originally thought I had gotten rid of them I started a heisenberg tea a couple of days ago to bring my roots back from the damage the fungus gnats had caused. OK, finally getting to reason I am posting. After 24 hours of brewing the tea I thought I would do a test run so I dumped a cup of tea into my bubble cloner to see what effect it may have on my 40 gallon RDWC. Well this afternoon when I checked my cloner I had hydro slime! White snot on my 14 day old clones roots. Well I know that heisenberg tea says wait for 48 hours. Did I put it in too soon? I am very wary of putting this tea in my RDWC but then again most everyone on the net says its a no brainer. Heisenberg tea or Beneficial tea = beautiful white explosive root growth. Im desperate. Hope someone out there in 420 land has the answer. Sorry for such a long post.
Additional info: Age of clones - about 14 days. DIY homemade bubble cloner, water temp at 75 degrees F. 200 PPM of Jacks Classic BUD. Have maintained bubble cloner with 3% Walmart brand Hydrogen Peroxide up until about 1 week ago when I found out that it may have a preservative in it that is bad for plant roots. Have never seen hydro slime until adding beneficial tea. Using filtered tap water in my whole set up with a starting ppm of 80. PH sits right around 6.0. Bubble cloner is light tight and has 8 sights all of which are showing mild signs of slightly milky colored slime. Thank you everyone that contributes to this awesome site/forum and please let me know if there is any additional info needed.

Re: 1st time noob grower in a slimy situation.

The brown roots were likely caused by a Pythium infection, also known as root rot.

I'm fairly certain that the gnats don't cause it, they're just attracted to it. As far as the cause in hydro, I believe it's caused by not having enough oxygen in the water, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

The slime you saw on the roots is likely bacteria, or the Pythium, and at 14 days old, it might be easier to replace them, than struggle to keep them alive. And I dealt with root rot in a soil grow while flowering, and it's not easy at all to keep them going. I harvested less than 1 gram for my efforts.

Along with the slime, you'll also notice an odor on the roots, or in the water if it's bad enough.

Ok. Thanks guys. I will try some more air and lower temps. I'm also going to keep adding the tea to see if it will pull through for me. I had foam on top of the tea yesterday which was day two and no foam today. Also the molasses smell is fading. They must be eating all the molasses. Guess I will read up more on the tea since even though people say it's cheap I think 60 bucks is a significant investment to just throw away. I will try and keep this updated for anyone else that may be in the same situation.

you will need to keep adding peroxide to keep a sterile res, or you need to look into beneficial bacteria. I'm dealing with root rot right now in late flower it's a real sucker to deal with. I would start with a peroxide bath to let them soak for a hour and sterilize your equipment and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom