1st Time Outdoor Grow

yeah they are looking way better now. Since they were root bound make sure you water frequently, even a little on the heavy side. It will take a week or so for the roots to recover. The curled leaves probably won't recover but that is ok, the new growth will come on fast and furious now. Don't feed them again until they are really established. The most important thing is to get the roots back to optimum health and everything else will take care of itself.

They're looking better every day and growing pretty well now too. Here's a few pics from tonight:

Both of these plants are looking great, the front one kind of got cut off but I'm liking both of these plants the best
indoor7281.jpg

This one in the front has really started exploding since moving to the bucket, you can't see the one behind it very well but is the one that got hurt the worst from being root bound, the new growth is really starting to pop out on it though.
indoor7282.jpg

The front one seems to be stunted a little bit still, haven't seen much new growth out of it since moving it. I'm hoping it takes off again soon. The back one is the stubby runt that came up late which is the same strain as the 2 in the above pic.
indoor7283.jpg

This one here seems to look ok but haven't seen much new growth on it like some of the others, I'm guessing it will start to take off soon too.
indoor7284.jpg

I'm getting quite a bit of difference in the canopy now so I'm going to bring in some bricks to stick under some of the buckets to help get the canopy a little more even. It's looking like tomorrow I'm going to have to raise the light again for the 2 tallest ones so will try and even everything out then.
At least they're still alive and growing right lol?

Not quite 4 weeks from seed now.
Noticed today that a few of my plants now have 9 leaf leaves. Here's a few pics:
indoor7311.jpg

indoor7312.jpg

indoor7313.jpg

I went out and checked on my outdoor plant today and it's no bigger than it was a week ago and it only haves a few leaves on it at the top, but the leaves that are on it do look good all be it small.

I'm considering digging it up and bringing it in the house with the others, if I leave it like it is it's not going to amount to anything in my opinion.

I went out and checked on my outdoor plant today and it's no bigger than it was a week ago and it only haves a few leaves on it at the top, but the leaves that are on it do look good all be it small.

I'm considering digging it up and bringing it in the house with the others, if I leave it like it is it's not going to amount to anything in my opinion.

It might show some stress when you bring it inside but if it isn't growing, you don't have much to lose.

regards,

SS

Well I went ahead and dug up the outdoor plant and transplanted it in a large pot in the house. It really looks pitiful against all of the other indoor plants lol. By looking at it you would never believe it's nearly 3 months old.

The plant was just not able to root well, the soil was to heavy clay for it. The root ball could almost fit in a dixie cup. Since it was so tall and skinny I went ahead and buried a good portion of the lower stem, by doing this the stem will actually begin to root as well correct?

Here's a pic:
plants801.jpg

It will be interesting to see if it comes back after being stunted for so long outside.

As a side note, I'm going to have to find a way to raise the plants up even more, the bricks just aren't getting them up tall enough since the back plants are almost touching the light yet again only after a couple of days after raising the light. I'm starting to see the trouble of growing 2 different strains at the same time.

It will try to utilize as much soil as you give it, so any part of the stem that you bury will grow new roots. I've heard of growers adding a single layer of Hydroton over the soil so that plants can use every last bit of dirt.

I try to have my pots filled up almost to the top because more root space should grow bigger plants.

Don't understand why anyone would use a 2-gallon container if they're only going to put 1 gallon or even 1.5 gallons of soil (whatever) in it?

Takes up the same space in the garden.

regards,

SS

Thanks guys, I'm getting quite a bit of new growth now so I went ahead and took a couple of clones from 2 of the best plants to see if I could do it. Hopefully they'll take off.

Ok, so far I took 3 clones, 2 of the medijuana's and 1 what I think is Afghan.
I used Schultz rooting powder and am trying them in peat pellets, was surprised to see that one of them sprout a new branch by where I cut one of the lower ones off today. Is that normal for the clones to continue growing before they even take root?

The outdoor plant that I moved in is already looking better. It was completely yellow when I brought it in and now the stem has turned dark green and the leaves are starting to get dark green at the bases. I haven't really seen any new growth out of it yet but am guessing it will start growing again soon once it sucks up enough nutes. I gave it a good shot of fish emulsions, superthrive, and mg tomato fert (18-18-21 nitrogen/phosphate/potash).

Quick question on the mg tomato fert; I know we want nitrogen in veg and not as much of the other stuff right? So will an 18-18-21 actually hurt the plants in veg and lock out the nitrogen due to too much phosphate and potash? By mixing the fish emulsion which is 5-1-1 with a weak solution of the mg tomato fert will that help even it out or should I just feed straight fish emulsions in a stronger dose and forget about the mg fert?

I'd read some people have good luck with the mg tomato fert which is why I got it but am afraid it will end up hurting them.

Ok, pic update:

So I've got this plant on the back left here that just keeps shooting up faster than all the others which is messing up my canopy level making me raise my light higher on the back side. I'm assuming that this is a male since it grows taller so much faster but I don't see any sex on it yet so I hate to jerk it out without knowing for sure.
plants807.jpg

There's still a little yellow on the outdoor plant (1st plant on the left) but it's looking a heck of a lot better than it was when I first brought it in.
plants8072.jpg

This plant has some really large leafs on it.
plants8073.jpg

I went ahead and topped the tallest plant to try and curb the huge difference in height between it and all the other plants. I'm going to assume that it's going to be a male but hate to just throw it out before I know for sure so thought topping might help until I'm able to sex it. The damn thing keeps growing into the light every day or 2 and I'm sick of having to raise the one end of the light robbing light from the other plants that are more likely females.

I only cut it right above the top nodes, however I would have liked to go down to the next node down as it would have leveled it with the other plant of the same strand right next to it but figure it would be too much and would probably hurt the plant. You can see from the first picture above how much taller it is than the rest, and is even taller today since it had grown into the light yet again.

On a side note; I added a couple of small cfl's to the side and to the end that doesn't have a wall close to it with a warm spectrum. I thought this might help supplement some light under the canopy and maybe was a good idea to start including some more red spectrum light. My plan is to veg for a few more weeks, then my plan is to add a second sunblaze t5 8 bulb fixture using the 3000k bulbs and replace the existing bulbs with 3000k. Should I keep a couple of the 6500k bulbs when I flower though or should I just use all 3000k? My mylar should be here sometime this week so that should help get more light to the plants once I get that up.

One other thing I'm thinking about doing is using an old mercury vapor fixture that I have on a yard pole that I never use with a 65w cfl (equivilant to 175w) to help get light under the canopy while flowering. Half of the plants would be under one t5 fixture and the other half under the other with the cfl hanging down lower in the middle of all of them. That should get a lot of light to the tops from the t5's, good light on the edges from the mylar on the walls, and good light under the canopy from the cfl. Seems like a good idea in theory anyway, it would be over 1,000 watts total but would have better even light coverage than using just 1 1,000w hps and would still be cooler.

I've got 4 clones so far and plan to take another 4 still this week. I plan on moving those to another room to start vegging and start running a continuous 8 veg with 8 flower.

I have some good news, and some bad news.....

The good news is not only is the outdoor plant that I brought in turning a nice dark green and shooting out some new growth, it also now shows female preflowers! I very very happy I brought the plant in the house.

Now for the bad news, the plant in the far back on the right in the first pic above is looking like it has balls, the one with the massive leafs I'm holding in my hand. I'll give it another couple of days but I'm 98% sure it's a male. The tallest one right next to it which is the same strain isn't showing any signs of sex yet but I'm going to guess it's a boy also, that will leave only 1 plant of that strain to possibly be female, if all 3 are males I'll be really disapointed. The other one of that strain is the retarded stubby runt plant that sprouted late and couldn't get it's shell off of it's self for the first week until I was finally able to pull it off.

A couple of the bushy shorter plants are starting to show sex, they're still so small it's tough to tell for sure but they look like they're going to be females from what I can see, it looks like they're just starting to poke some really tiny hairs out.

So anyway, 1 plant basically confirmed male, 1 plant suspected male, 1 plant confirmed female, 2 plants suspected female, 3 plants unknown.

1 of the clones I took was from the plant that is most likely a male so it looks like that will have to go as well. I'll just have to double up the cloning on the 1 remaining plant from that strain that could still be a female assuming it will be a female.

I would take pics for you all but my cameras are too low resolution to see them, but here's a regular shot of the outdoor plant I brought in that's confirmed a girl:
plant808.jpg

Lol thanks setting sun, can use all the good vibes I can get!
I'm just happy the plant from outside turned out to be female, at least something will come from that first batch and I'll at least have one sativa hybrid in the bunch. All of the others are supposed to be indica dominant.

The one good thing about the tall 2 in the back being male (if they are in fact male) is when I pull them the canopy will be pretty even across the board.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the room is starting to smell a bit lol, have a hunch I'm going to have to beef up the air filtration a bit.

Back
Top Bottom