1st Try At DWC/Soil Grow - Huckleberry - Cherry Pie - Dogwalker OG - Malawi Gold

Fantastic OG glad you had a nice evening with your sibs. You deserve it you are a hard workin man. I envy the electrical knowledge. I can wire well enough not to kill myself, but I ain't elegant lol. I got excited today because I replaced the plug on a fan the dog chewed the wire on. I only put it off a month haha. Much love my brother.

Thanks Shiggity,
It would have gone much quicker but the wife insisted that it looked nice so I had to cut the circuit into the wall so it looks like any other receptacle in the house. Personally I was just going to go down and dirty and bring it in to a piece of plywood and call it good. Woman, can't live with them, can't live without them.

You have a sweet home, when you open the door,full of beautiful girls in your room:cheer:...that's paradise...:cheer:
Why thank you Sara, nice of you to drop in and see my garden. In about 10 weeks it will be much more interesting and loaded up with buds.
Paradise is being able to grow and smoke and not be worried that "Johnny Law" might come knocking on my door. I just wish everyone had a bit of this paradise.

I hope you don't mind someone else taking a virtual seat in the peanut gallery. I am a "big sativa fan from way back," too. Unfortunately, I don't have any strains (or even a current light or grow setup :sad: ) AtM. But I can live vicariously for the time being thanks to people like you who are able to post grow journals (thank you!). Hopefully, I will be able to... participate more directly in the journal process at some time in the future ;) .

I just stumbled into your journal and read a random post about your DWC plants "being thirsty." I have had (large) ones uptake lots of water (in the range of 7 to 13 gallons on hot, dry days, lol). With very good airflow, they'll do that and transpire a lot of moisture from the stoma on their leaves for (among other things) the same reason that we sweat on hot days. Doesn't hurt them (in general) - and can actually enable a plant to not only survive but thrive when the ambient temperature is above the range that is commonly mentioned as being correct for cannabis. Of course, if a plant is using copious amounts of water but not nutrients, it can muck with nutrient concentrations in your reservoir. As has been noted, larger reservoirs can be helpful.

How are the average lights-on temperatures in your grow room? I find myself wishing that LED panels had mounts for duct adapters, so that they could be ventilated separately from the grow room in much the same way that air-cooled HPS/MH hoods are. I have always been a fan - with the two commonly used types of HID lighting - of venting the lights separately from the grow space ventilation (hot neutral-scented air being easier to deal with than hot stinky air, lol... and hot stinky air being more taxing on a carbon filter than, err, slightly less hot stinky air). Do you feel that your (nice collection of) LED panels produce much heat? If so, do you think an appreciable part of it gets produced by their power supplies (I have seen higher-wattage desktop power supplies produce a good amount of BTUs)? Out of curiosity, do the fans on top of the LED panels blow downwards/in or upwards/out. I'm wondering whether or not it would be helpful to rig up a ducting/ventilation setup just for the lights, or if it would be pointless (if the bulk of the heat is produced by the actual LEDs and would end up in the grow space regardless, et cetera).

Other then the couple of more recent posts that I saw/read when I landed in your journal, I have only read enough of your initial post (in this thread) to know that I'm interested in reading more, lol. It'll probably take me a few days to a week to read the rest of it and get caught up.

Welcome Torturedsoul :welcome:
I am so glad you took the time to check out my garden, hopefully it will not be long and I will be able to poke mine into your garden too. That darn thing called life can sometimes cause all kinds of headaches for us growers :)
So let me jump right in and answer a few questions you brought up, sorry if they are out of order but once I explain it should become evident why I went out of order.
All the fans on the LEDs pull air in from the top and exhaust it through the slits on the side of the fixture, except one, the Lumigrow LED pulls air from the slits on the sides of the fixture and blows the air downward. Temperatures in my tents varies with outside temperatures and humidity. My home has central gas heat and A/C but because of my wife work she can not have even the slightest odor of MJ on her clothing so I keep the back room isolated so typically on really hot days, the back room is much warmer then the rest of the house and on really cold days the back room is slightly chillier then the rest of the house, but typically when the lights are on my bigger tent runs between 75 to 85 degrees and 35 to 60 % RH depending on the RH outside. The larger tent gets vented directly outside through a carbon filter but my smaller tent is vented into the room. Which may explain why my A/C does not keep this area as cool as the rest of the house. Lights out temperatures depend a lot on outside temperatures, but normally it ranges down around 69 degrees for a low. Ideally I would love to keep a constant 75 degrees with my set up but right now this grow is just temporary until I retire then when we buy our retirement home I will be building a proper grow room either in the house or preferably in an out building.
As for how much heat do the LEDs produce, well that is a bit relative but I do know that with passive exhaust in my veg tent verses a thermostatic controlled exhaust system in the bigger tent, the single 8 lamp T-5 HO puts out around the same temps as the 3 LEDs. I have only run 5 LEDs for one day so far but the temps still were 75 to 85.
For the thirsty gal, yep she is compared to what I am use to with soil, but even with having to add H2O every morning and evening, it is still less hassle then doing soil every 3 to 4 days. Constantly lifting pots and checking weights as opposed to looking at a sight tube and saying yep another gallon. Will I stop growing in soil? I doubt it, it is just to easy, plus since I am about as spacie of an individual as you will ever meet, only having to water every 3 to 4 days does have it's benefits.

Hope that answers your questions and please ask me anything about anything I do, I am by no means an expert but I surely do enjoy growing. Being legal has made growing so enjoyable I can not begin to explain, I never thought I would live long enough to see the day and here it is. Now if the other 46 states would just stop dragging their feet, I could really honestly call theses my "Golden Years"

Hope everyone had a great day and tomorrow brings you joy and success.

hopefully it will not be long and I will be able to poke mine into your garden too.

Oh, it'll probably be (at least) a little while, yet. I will have to collect "a few" things first. Some things being harder than others to do so, lol, I cannot really give any kind of schedule as of yet. I think someone once said that it's the little things in life that can be the most important. Err... Or something. At any rate, thus far I have... Well, I have copious amounts of desire. And some small amount of knowledge, a little experience, and did I mention desire? A few other odds and ends. I would like to gather more before once again sticking my toe into the waters - lest I fall in, and hit my head on the concrete rim on the way ;) .

Thank you for the information. You wouldn't happen to have a non-contact IR thermometer, by chance, would you? If so, have you ever taken readings directly at the various LED panels' air exit points?

My home has central gas heat and A/C but because of my wife work she can not have even the slightest odor of MJ on her clothing so I keep the back room isolated so typically on really hot days, the back room is much warmer then the rest of the house and on really cold days the back room is slightly chillier then the rest of the house, but typically when the lights are on my bigger tent runs between 75 to 85 degrees and 35 to 60 % RH depending on the RH outside. The larger tent gets vented directly outside through a carbon filter but my smaller tent is vented into the room. Which may explain why my A/C does not keep this area as cool as the rest of the house.

It's a shame about the restriction placed on you by your wife's job - but understandable. There are odor control methods, of course - but it would be unfortunate if you were to depend on one and, having it fail, jeopardize your wife's job. So... Yes, understandable. It'd be inefficient, I expect, but if you find your grow room temperatures climbing as the ambient temperature does, it might be helpful to consider one of those portable air conditioners. They're meant to have their heat-exhaust vented directly out of doors, but if that proves to be inconvenient, I think that they keep the cooled air separate from the cooling air and, if so, perhaps you could exhaust its heat output into your greater home space? That would see your central air dealing with the air that has taken on some of the heat from your grow - as I stated, inefficient; but if it ends up being inconvenient to vent the heated garden air directly out of doors, it may be worth it (IDK, really).

Heat is something that I'll have to find a way to deal with, too. I have no great cooling scheme, my capacity is limited here, and I wilt above 65 degrees or so, lol. But I've always been happier growing indoors than out, so I will be confining my efforts to indoors even if it ends up meaning that I must await Autumn. I hope that won't be the case, but who could say at this point? I may (probably will) have to use HPS/MH lighting, and therein lies the Heat Dragon. My plans remain rather fluid. If I hit the lottery, I will purchase an LED panel or two and see how they treat me. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky...

...enough to be able to at least buy a ticket next week :laughtwo:.

In the meantime, I have found a journal in which the author favors sativas. Thank you for that!

Thank you for the information. You wouldn't happen to have a non-contact IR thermometer, by chance, would you? If so, have you ever taken readings directly at the various LED panels' air exit points?

In the meantime, I have found a journal in which the author favors sativas. Thank you for that!

I saw one advertised on sale and was going to pick it up but spaced it off till after the sale went off, but the it is on my lists of toys to pick up, that and a light meter

Your plants are looking great OG. Nice and healthy.

Thanks TB , they are starting to come together, even Sinead and the Cherrie Pie are making solid efforts to doll up for prom night:cheer:

I saw one advertised on sale and was going to pick it up but spaced it off till after the sale went off, but the it is on my lists of toys to pick up, that and a light meter

I'm sure you know the quality of their stuff, but Harbor Freight has their IR thermometer for $20 right now.

I'm sure you know the quality of their stuff, but Harbor Freight has their IR thermometer for $20 right now.
I will have to swing by Saturday and pick one up, it actually has been on my "to buy list of toys"
Got mine there for $13. Shows 212°F when water boils in a pan. YMMV.

They only gave it to you for 13 bucks so you and Roscoe would get out of the store and stop running customers away with Roscoes farts. I swear I think you trained him to fart on command!

I have to work tomorrow, I was offered the work and since I need to pay for Eyesforgrandpas tent and light tomorrow will cover it. I know everyone especially Major Pita has told me to "Step away from the fiskars but I just do not see how the big huckleberry will be containable if allowed to grow uninterrupted till the 8th of next month so I pull a Sinead on her and am hoping that it will slow down her growth for about a week or so. I did some major defoliating on her. On the bright side it has opened her up some so the light can now get deeper into her. I am hoping this will slow down her growth for at lest a week, 2 would be even better. Only time will tell. I will get some photos up after work tomorrow. I may end up taking even more off when I have more time.

Enjoy your weekend it is suppose to be gorgeous here all weekend.

Britney Spears you say... Hmm I knew many women shaved their noggin but I had no idea Britney did. I had heard she trimmed her noggin but if she shaved her noggin, that might be worth seeing. Now I will be thinking about Britney's noggin all day at work.:cheer:

As someone who shaves their noggin, it was not a good look for her. :thedoubletake:

but, you definitely could find pics of her shaven snook. she shows that thing just as much as her bald head. Every time she opens a car door, BOOM! freshly shaven Brittney. lookin ready for the 100M breaststroke.

I got a chortle out of that one, it knocked the bong hit out onto the bedsheets!

As someone who shaves their noggin, it was not a good look for her. :thedoubletake:

A woman's hair is her crowning glory. It's rare the woman who can be super sexy with no hair. They do exist though. A 1990's era Annie Lennox was hot enough. Creepy too but hot enough.

I got a chortle out of that one, it knocked the bong hit out onto the bedsheets! A woman's hair is her crowning glory. It's rare the woman who can be super sexy with no hair. They do exist though. A 1990's era Annie Lennox was hot enough. Creepy too but hot enough.

Grace Jones...

Back
Top Bottom